R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2003, 02:42 PM   #586
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I'll be trying out the car this weekend with both one-ways and diffs, I'll let you guys know which works better (I'll be racing outdoor parking lot this weekend)

rtypec,

Run that car more often! Don't worry, I got you covered for parts when you break hehehehe...

I'll be out at Tamiya next weekend again with my EVOIII, hopefully we will be going counter clockwise, going clockwise into the first 180 is pretty scary

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:53 PM   #587
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In mod that has got to make your hair stand straight up
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 04:58 PM   #588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Dan,
My club is just starting up again. If you're down Orlando way and want to join us for some fun, Let me know. Offers always open. I'm kind of the token Tamiya driver around here. Wouldn't mind getting some juicy tidbits of tune up advice and generally talk Tamiya.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:27 PM   #589
Tech Elite

Hey Steve W, where's mine?? haha... I was hopping to get one before Snowbirds, but looks like that ain't gonna happen. I guess I'll have to run my 414 in the mean time. Anyways, everyone is saying the car handles great and all. Has anyone tried the Worlds Swaybar kit on the Evo3? Just curious, cause if I ever get mine.. hint hint.... I would like to try this setup. IF it's possible.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:07 PM   #590
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Steve W.

When do you expect the Evo 3s to come in?
elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:20 PM   #591
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

rcpigz thanks for the offer if my schedule allows while I am down that would be great. So far I haven't been able to combine businees with RC when I am away there is either no racing in the town I am in or no time in the schedule

D
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 12:55 AM   #592
Tech Champion

Hi Guys,

I hope I get them in soon, I hate to keep you guys waiting

By the way, I was building a front ball diff for the EVOIII to test out tomorrow and I noticed something. I'm not sure if it's been posted before, but you all might want to check the "T" nut holder in the diff. If you tighten the diff too much, the "ear" on the T nut holder will actually began to bend. And if you continue to tighten, you'll eventually snap them (I snapped one tonight). However, the diff is not tight enough until you screw the diff screw until the T-nut holder starts to bend a little. So just be careful when you guys assemble your diffs.

Also, another thing I noticed is that the diff bevel gears have quite a bit of flashing where the you put the diff balls. You'll need to clean it out a bit with an X-Acto knife, otherwise, you might get a rather "crunchy" diff I checked all the spare diff bevel gears that came with the kit and the F201 gears, and they all have them.

Lastly, the diff outdrives comes with plastic retainer that just doesn't seem too beefy for me to prevent the outdrives from splitting. I put the aluminum outdrive retainer from the 414M2 diff on there and it fits right on

I'll be trying out the front diff tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it went.

Difuser,

Oh yeah, one-way, full speed, first turn is a 180 leading into chicanes...it's a real joy

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com

Last edited by SpeedTech; 01-25-2003 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:56 AM   #593
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Tsubasa Sakai
Default Kai complete graphite set

Now you can order the Kai complete graphite set for your EVO3 from Control Centre.Please visit our forum or e-mail to us for more information.
Tsubasa Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 09:13 AM   #594
Tech Regular

Steve, how many kits will you get in the first batch?
Thanks!
Holmenkollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 07:14 PM   #595
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Hey guys,

I did a day of testing on carpet-foam tires-stock motor. I still cannot get killer speed out of this car. Its smoothness and ease of driving is keeping it somewhat in the ballpark. I installed a new GT7 speedo in it, and that didnt make a difference. I rolled it out 0.99 and 1.05. Car felt the same on both rollouts. My next step is to try a 1.17 (HUGE) rollout and see what that does.
Its also so planted!! I would love to drive this rubber tire/carpet because I can tel it would be dialed!!!

I already took rear toe down to 1.5 degrees. I think to really make this car work on carpet-I am going to have to run AE white springs up front and AE yellow in back with front and rear sway bars.
Just need to find the speed first!!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 11:34 PM   #596
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default 3rd Run on the EVO

Today at Tamiya track I hit the EVO running with Tamiya B2 Tires. I had to see how it will handle wth this tires since it is very probable to be the spec tire for the Nationals. On my first run I had a hard time entering the turn (pushing) but had plenty of tracation exiting it. After more adjustments and with the help of a goood friend, I was able to dial the car before the end of the day. Here is the bad part. I probably got to do at least 6 packs of run today and at the end of the day. the ball bearing that's holding the small bevel gear inside the front gear box broke, the steel shield leterally popped out and was floating on top of the shaft. Talk about cheap bearings, and why Tamiya had a full set of ball bearing upgrade for the car.
Anyway. The car is no longer smooth and I hope it's just the bearing and not another stripped bevel gear.
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:38 AM   #597
Tech Champion

Holmenkollen,

First batch is about 6 car kits and I should have another 6 on the second batch. I hope I get them sometimes next week.

Okay guys, I ran the ball diff up front and the one-way today, and the car worked better in my opinion with the one-way. It helped the car turn in a little better and I can control the amount of steering with throttle. With the ball diff up front, I had to tap the brakes to get the car to brake loose to get around the turns.

Also, I was able to get a lot more "zip" out of the car by going to the AA blocks in the rear.

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Old 01-26-2003, 01:16 AM   #598
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Can anybody get me the part numbers/names of the most commonly broken/worn-out stuff for this car? I'd like to stock some spares, and it looks like I'll have to get the stuff via mail-order.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:20 AM   #599
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Did some more testing at Tamiya America yesterday. Started the day with 3mm of roll increase in the rear...too much! (really plants the rear end, but at the loss turn in) I ended the day at 1.5mm and the car drove much better.

Tires: B2
Inserts: Tamiya blue

Front
Camber: .5 degree
Kick-Up: 0
Toe: -0.5 degree each side
Susp Blocks F/R: AA
Wheelbase Spacers: Standard
Ride Height: 5mm
DownTravel: 1.5mm
Springs: Yellow
Shock Oil: 60W
Shock Position Top/Bottom: Oustide/Standard
Stabilizer Bar: Red
Camber Link Positions: Standard

Rear
Camber: -1 degree
Antisquat: 0 degree (2mm spacers under both susp blocks)
Toe: 2.5 degrees
Susp Blocks F/R: AB
Wheelbase Spacers: Standard
Ride Height 5mm
DownTravel: 3mm
Springs: red
Shock Oil: 60W
Shock Position Top/Bottom: Outside/Standard
Stabilizer Bar: Blue
Camber Link Positions: Standard

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tamiyatrf/

Last edited by madjack; 01-26-2003 at 09:18 PM.
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:59 AM   #600
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Lap times

So did you guys improve your lap times with this car? For people with 414MIIs, what are your impressions regarding your first time out with the M2 and Evo 3? Is the Evo3 really easier to drive right off the bat? The reason I am asking because I am debating which one to get.
elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote