R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-29-2004, 11:47 AM   #5926
Tech Regular

the track i race on has JUST recently been resurfaced, only had one meeting on it

www.bedworthrc.com

so its kinda ungrippy in place but in some places super!
I think i may try a front ARB, but which one to choose? i have no idea

thanks for the help

Tarnjit
Evo_Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:59 AM   #5927
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last outdoor season I was using blue rollbar front and yellow rear in general. Springs were Tamiya blue or Associated silver front and rear. Only at one race (German Champs) I was using yellow rollbar front and no rear with yellow springs front and rear.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:47 PM   #5928
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to ngo8

for foam/carpet i use associated springs/and oil they work great .
ngo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:43 PM   #5929
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: Help

Quote:
Originally posted by devil
Does anyone know how to stop the binding in the gears, I have the Tamiya light weight shaft (2mm longer), the new front gears and a brand new gear case but the binding is still there.
Spent some hours on exactly this meself, last night.

First work out *what* is binding.

Is it your bevel pinion? Turn the shaft by hand... if it clicks once every revolution then its the pinion - It will be at the same spot all the time. Note where the rough spot is.

If it jams once every 2.6 turns, its the spur.

Then open up the gearbox carefully, don't pull the gears out yet. Look inside and take note of which teeth are touching between the 2 gears & mark them. Take out the gears and inspect their teeth around the touch point, you may have to clean out any molding excess etc.

If your centre shaft has been dropped on a hard floor before... you could have dented the tip also.

Sometimes just over-tightening the gearbox cover's 3 screws is enough to cause binding. Back them out a half-turn and try again.

Each car needs its own individual finessing, but it does work.
www.MelbRC.org
----------------
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:47 PM   #5930
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by V12
Last outdoor season I was using blue rollbar front and yellow rear in general. Springs were Tamiya blue or Associated silver front and rear. Only at one race (German Champs) I was using yellow rollbar front and no rear with yellow springs front and rear.
What were the conditions that got you down to yellow springs and yellow front swaybar only? Was it rain?

Coop
gcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:47 PM   #5931
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Help

Quote:
Originally posted by WC
Spent some hours on exactly this meself, last night.

First work out *what* is binding.

Is it your bevel pinion? Turn the shaft by hand... if it clicks once every revolution then its the pinion - It will be at the same spot all the time. Note where the rough spot is.

If it jams once every 2.6 turns, its the spur.

Then open up the gearbox carefully, don't pull the gears out yet. Look inside and take note of which teeth are touching between the 2 gears & mark them. Take out the gears and inspect their teeth around the touch point, you may have to clean out any molding excess etc.

If your centre shaft has been dropped on a hard floor before... you could have dented the tip also.

Sometimes just over-tightening the gearbox cover's 3 screws is enough to cause binding. Back them out a half-turn and try again.

Each car needs its own individual finessing, but it does work.

yes it is the bevel gear binding and it doesen't matter how many gears you put in its still there, i've also tried different shafts and still nothing.
I think the problem is the bevel gear is slightly made badly and it is of centre and i was wondering if anyone knew how to solve this
devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:08 PM   #5932
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Re: Help

Quote:
yes it is the bevel gear binding and it doesen't matter how many gears you put in its still there, i've also tried different shafts and still nothing.
I think the problem is the bevel gear is slightly made badly and it is of centre and i was wondering if anyone knew how to solve this
Not sure if you meant if you tried a new bevel gear. If not, I will try that first. If you did that already, maybe your bearing is broken or not fitted correctly inside the gear case.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:43 PM   #5933
Tech Regular

Hey i got down to those conditions, my winter setup here in the UK when its very cold and yes rain too in some cases, havent tried the front sway bar but will give it a shot
Old 03-30-2004, 12:51 AM   #5934
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Help

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Not sure if you meant if you tried a new bevel gear. If not, I will try that first. If you did that already, maybe your bearing is broken or not fitted correctly inside the gear case.
Yeah i tried a few new bevel gears and the binding was still there, i tried another bearings and still it was binding. I just thought of trying something i tell you if it works.
devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:31 AM   #5935
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help

Quote:
Yeah i tried a few new bevel gears and the binding was still there, i tried another bearings and still it was binding. I just thought of trying something i tell you if it works.
Have you tried using one of the bevel gears with the back cut off? It was part of the fix for helping with the mesh on the 1-way to keep it from stipping.

Coop
gcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:54 AM   #5936
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help

Quote:
Originally posted by gcooper
Have you tried using one of the bevel gears with the back cut off? It was part of the fix for helping with the mesh on the 1-way to keep it from stipping.

Coop
That is a terrible idea. It would weaken your bevel gear and make it wobble.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:07 AM   #5937
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to KREATOR1

Wow!!! got 198 pages to read.
I have 1 question about the Tbevo3.may be some one post this before.
Just for a quick one.

what is the common problem of this tbEvo 3?
Old 03-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #5938
Ooj
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Ooj Send a message via MSN to Ooj

How to get rid of some binding

One of the reasons why the people using the Tech Shaft have very smooth and "bind-free" drivetrain is that it requires the use of an extra bearing in the front plastic upright that the shaft goes through. Using the same idea, just buy a bearing the same size as the one that goes in the motor mount, put a thin layer of CA on the edge and stick it in the plastic upright. I have done this and there is no high spot anymore when using the standard shaft and it is as free as when I used the tech shaft

Last edited by Ooj; 03-30-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Ooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:57 AM   #5939
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by gcooper
What were the conditions that got you down to yellow springs and yellow front swaybar only? Was it rain?

Coop
Never had to race in the wet since I have the EVO3.

No it was a very large track with a high speed sweeper and I needed more overall grip there for being fast. Tires were limited to one Spec tire so I had to change setup according to track conditions.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:11 AM   #5940
Tech Regular

i just sold my tech racing 3 piece, just thought it was too heavy and if u inspect very carefully u will find there is the slightest binding actually there, i think its covered up a bit becasue of the weight of the thing.
I think im gonna put the front bearing back in though.... but it means getting rid of my shiny red one

Thanks

Tarnj