Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Default Anyone using non-Tamiya shock springs?

Hi Guys,

Tried some Associated Springs at the indoor carpet track today, as the Tamiya Springs weren't hard enough for what I wanted and the transformation was amazing!!! The car was much more agile, turn in was great and I could carry more speed through the corners. I used the Asso Gold Springs upfornt (20.5 pounds, I think) and Tamiya White at the rear. 600 Oil in all shocks and running Sorex 24R Tyres.

My previous setup was the same only with Tamiya White and Blue Springs (F & R).

I think I may try out the next springs up to see what affect it has.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:20 PM
DZ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been testing xray springs.. they also have been working really good..I've been using them on my foam asphalt setup. Which we run here.. I've been using xay white which is about 17lbs..This weekend i'm trying Xray blue on the fronts 22lb and xray light blue on the rear 20lb.. see how we go....Has any one tried running the car with out sway bars..
Old 03-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by DZ
....Has any one tried running the car with out sway bars..
I have tried does not seem to carry corner speed. Used to even run without the rear but, now I like F/R swaybars.

coop
Old 03-28-2004, 04:30 PM
DZ
Tech Addict

Thanks..

I've been having trouble with the sway bars affecting my droop. As the foams true down to a smaller diameter the sway bars seem to hold the arms up. i was considering lengthing the sway bar brace that attaches it to the arms..has anyone already tried this..and help would be nice.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

try to run harder springs it is on carpet so you have lots of traction hope it helps .
Old 03-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by DZ
I've been testing xray springs.. they also have been working really good..I've been using them on my foam asphalt setup. Which we run here.. I've been using xay white which is about 17lbs..This weekend i'm trying Xray blue on the fronts 22lb and xray light blue on the rear 20lb.. see how we go....Has any one tried running the car with out sway bars..
I only run sway bars when the car traction rolls. When it does, I simply put on the front anti-roll bar - normally I only need a red bar. Actually I prefer to use harder springs than use an anti-roll bar. Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a reason to use an anti-roll bar in preference to harder springs? I suppose maybe if the track is bumpy?

I'm also going to try the 22lb front springs and the 20lb rear. Strange that Tamiya don't make any harder springs

Are you running the Xray shocks? I'd like to try them as they'd provide a quicker setup option.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i dont have the exact spring rates handy, but they do have firmer springs... on foam/carpet i use the purple front, grey rear. they call them "super hard" and "ultra hard". and i run them without bars.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:38 PM
DZ
Tech Addict

Originally posted by markp27

Are you running the Xray shocks? I'd like to try them as they'd provide a quicker setup option.

Cheers, Mark.
I'm only running the springs there a great fit with the tamiya shocks...I have never tried the xray shocks on my tamiya..yes they are easier to tune..but i think the TRf shock are much smoother
Old 03-28-2004, 09:53 PM
Tech Adept

Default Help

Does anyone know how to stop the binding in the gears, I have the Tamiya light weight shaft (2mm longer), the new front gears and a brand new gear case but the binding is still there.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:00 PM
DZ
Tech Addict

Default Re: Help

Originally posted by devil
Does anyone know how to stop the binding in the gears, I have the Tamiya light weight shaft (2mm longer), the new front gears and a brand new gear case but the binding is still there.
Are you shimming the gears at all.. try shimming also replace the rear bevel and pinnion ...good the start a fresh...if it's still there try spraying out your bearings in the drive train.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Help

Originally posted by DZ
Are you shimming the gears at all.. try shimming also replace the rear bevel and pinnion ...good the start a fresh...if it's still there try spraying out your bearings in the drive train.
i'm not shimming the gears, the back of the car has the diff out so i can feel the binding more easily, and it's not the bearings as when you take the oneway out it dissappears.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by markp27
Tamiya don't make any harder springs

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, I think the info Tamiya uses for the options, like springs, come from the factory Tamiya tracks. And unfortunatly the are all asphalt. I only know of one Tamiya Carpet track in Japan, and it is only set up for worlds.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by tamiyarcracer
Mark, I think the info Tamiya uses for the options, like springs, come from the factory Tamiya tracks. And unfortunatly the are all asphalt. I only know of one Tamiya Carpet track in Japan, and it is only set up for worlds.
This is exactly what I thought - never mind, I've got plenty of Assos springs now - maybe I'll get some Assos oil now to go with the springs
Old 03-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Ive always only used softish springs on my car (red /yellow , yellow/blue ), how would adding roll bars let me carry more corner speed?

I also had that binding in my gears , i just rand my car in and it went away itself
Old 03-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Evo_Uk
Ive always only used softish springs on my car (red /yellow , yellow/blue ), how would adding roll bars let me carry more corner speed?

I also had that binding in my gears , i just rand my car in and it went away itself
Are you on an indoor carpet circuit or outdoor asphalt?

An anti-roll bar doesn't allow you to carry more speed, but it would give you a better steering response (front anti roll bar). Also, the front anti-roll bar will take away front traction and increase rear traction.
A rear anti-roll bar would also allow the car to react quicker to steering responses, but then it takes away rear traction and increases front traction.

If you're running on a smooth circuit with lots of grip, it is better to go for stiffer setup, i.e. springs and dampers.
I actually like to start off with a very stiff car, to the point where it hasn't enough grip and then come back (i.e. make it softer) until I'm happy with the balance, grip and response of my car - it is all a balancing act to get it right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.