R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-19-2004, 10:02 AM   #5641
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Uaaahh, what ball bearings? I already ordered everything and had no ball bearings on my list.

I also have an 414M2 and he uses the TA04 ball diff. From what I saw in the manual it looked like that these bearings (53030)belonged to 53436. But when I am looking at the catalog picture of the set 53436 now, it looks like that are sintered bearings instead of ball bearings. But until I have a chance to order some, I could take them out of my 414M2s ball diff, right?

Hemi
Old 02-19-2004, 10:10 AM   #5642
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Or just go to your lhs and pick up a pair of 5x8mm bearings instead of dismantling a car.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:12 AM   #5643
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to f1larry

Quote:
Originally posted by hemi426
Uaaahh, what ball bearings? I already ordered everything and had no ball bearings on my list.

I also have an 414M2 and he uses the TA04 ball diff. From what I saw in the manual it looked like that these bearings (53030)belonged to 53436. But when I am looking at the catalog picture of the set 53436 now, it looks like that are sintered bearings instead of ball bearings. But until I have a chance to order some, I could take them out of my 414M2s ball diff, right?

Hemi
The TA04 diff comes with bushings instead of bearings. If you look at the rear diff. you will see that there are sealed ball bearings in there. Just take the bushings to a local hobby shop and I am sure they can find the right size bearing. Thats what I did.
2012 TCS Race #170 "The Track" @ Harbor Hobby Best of Show Mini Pro
f1larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:52 AM   #5644
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by hemi426
Hi, I still got no answer in the German Tamiya Euro Cup Forum, if the Mod from BigDog is considered TEC legal. Now I ordered all the parts needed to built a front ball diff (2x reinforced diff joints, TA04 ball diff and F201 diff plates) .

Is there also a problem with the gears stripping when using a ball diff instead of the original one-way? Anything else I have to consider when using a ball diff (setup etc.)?

Since my F201 has two ball diffs, I hope I get along with 2 ball diffs in the Evo3 as well.

The ball diff should also be significantly lighter than the one way, isn't it?

Thanx

Hemi
You don´t have to wait for an answer in the German Tamiya Forum. Any modifications at the car aren´t allowed so forget about Bigdogs mod if you wanna run the Tamiya Euro Cup.

But why you wanna run Eurocup as there are other interesting racing series? CS Cup or LRP/HPI-Challenge are open for all mods.
Also some local series.
After some mods my EVO3 is bulletproof now and I wouldn´t change it for any other car but I´m sure without the mods I wouldn´t run it anymore.

Yes the diff is lighter than the oneway. I´m not sure how much is the difference but I think it´s about 8 - 10 gramms. I was running a front diff at 2 races on carpet when the oneway didn´t work very good at that tracks but there is much less ripp out of corners. Also less steering so you have to change setup. Usually I try keeping with the oneway.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:55 AM   #5645
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec
Or just go to your lhs and pick up a pair of 5x8mm bearings instead of dismantling a car.
Thanks, I will try that.
Is it 8mm outside diameter, 5mm inside and thickness 3mm?

Hemi
Old 02-19-2004, 06:57 PM   #5646
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

More commonly known as "850" bearings.

(8 OD, 5 ID but I think they're 2.5mm thick)

ps: nice truck
www.MelbRC.org
----------------
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:04 PM   #5647
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

btw... the 2 ballbearings is Highly Recommended.

Running plastic bits (the EvoIII outdrives) in bushings is very bad;
the TA04 diff has the same bit in metal from memory.

But most long-time racers would have heaps of spare 850s tossed around your toolbox, you only need put your crappiest ones in there as they won't do much work anyway.
www.MelbRC.org
----------------
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #5648
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Square Gearbox

I ran my car at a race this past weekend with a square gearbox. After tons of bad brushes with the wall, the gear was still in tact at the end of the day. I must say...it's looking like a really good fix for the one way problem so far.

I just love my EVO3. As you see in my sig, I have a couple of TC3s, but for me the EVO is always the easiest car to drive. TC3s can be a bit tempermantle at times. I'm still trying to set my TC3 to run more like my EVO.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:57 PM   #5649
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3
Default Re: Square Gearbox

Quote:
Originally posted by stonedgti
I just love my EVO3. As you see in my sig, I have a couple of TC3s, but for me the EVO is always the easiest car to drive. TC3s can be a bit tempermantle at times. I'm still trying to set my TC3 to run more like my EVO.
LOL, I love my EVO too, but I can not get the car to go fast in a straight line. My EVO drives differently than my TC3's and feels more precise, but I break less parts on my TC3 at present time...(ie. gears...)

Tamiya Track tomorow...(weather permiting)

Just out of curosity, has anyone tried using the rear shock tower up front?(like what is done on the Yokomo's and Associated's) It should give more initial turn-in, and push slightly mid-corner. Is this desired, or should it be left alone?

p.s. I LOVE THE SHOCKS!!!
Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:22 AM   #5650
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Alu one-way gear

I tested the Alu one-way gear last night and was not too pleased with the result. It simply ended up stripping the bevel gear completely. I was afraid that this might happen.

As I've got the Jürgen one-way, too, I'll be putting this into the car for Sunday.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:06 AM   #5651
Tech Elite

Default Re: Alu one-way gear

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
I tested the Alu one-way gear last night and was not too pleased with the result. It simply ended up stripping the bevel gear completely. I was afraid that this might happen.

As I've got the Jürgen one-way, too, I'll be putting this into the car for Sunday.

Cheers, Mark.
Jürgen one-way does the same thing. I never strip the one way gear but the bevel gear is now taking the hit.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:21 AM   #5652
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Really!

Well hopefully it lasts a little longer than the one-way gear though.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:55 AM   #5653
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

Quote:
Originally posted by f1larry
The TA04 diff comes with bushings instead of bearings. If you look at the rear diff. you will see that there are sealed ball bearings in there. Just take the bushings to a local hobby shop and I am sure they can find the right size bearing. Thats what I did.
Oops...didn't know the question had already been answered.

Anyway I switched out that bushing when I build the ball diffs on my little brother's TA04S. The diff kit came with one bearing and the other one was bushing. I just happened to have extra 5x8mm spares and I decided to install both with bearings instead of bearing/bushing combination.

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:14 AM   #5654
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

hi guys, just got a new TB III, i have heard some complains about the weak drive train. could anyone be more specific about this problem and is there anyway to fix it ? by the way, i also need some gearing suggestions, i will be running/racing mostly at socal raceway...any info will be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:19 AM   #5655
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Tag
hi guys, just got a new TB III, i have heard some complains about the weak drive train. could anyone be more specific about this problem and is there anyway to fix it ? by the way, i also need some gearing suggestions, i will be running/racing mostly at socal raceway...any info will be appreciated.
Tag, there are quite a few people with Evo3 at SoCal. I will be there today and next Tuesday. Look me up and I will share what I know. Jeff
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote