R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-12-2003, 09:51 PM   #5146
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KenSmith Send a message via Yahoo to KenSmith

help evo3 foam tire guys!
this year I am running foam on my evo3 for the first time, and have a problem with clearance (between the ball cups on the front upper chub and the wheels). Due to narrower wheels on my rubber tires...never had a problem before. I am running front one-way with 4 washers per side. Any ideas on what I can do? I had to shave some of the top of the ball cup off to avoid rubbing (obviously not the right fix). Any suggestions are appreciated. Attached is a pic to show the area of concern (not on my car...just illustration purposes).
thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evo3_front.jpg (13.6 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by KenSmith; 12-12-2003 at 10:02 PM.
KenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:00 PM   #5147
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

i had that same problem on some of my wheels... this seemed to take care of it..............
tower hobbies
the stock ones are 4mm. this moves the wheel out the 2mm difference per side, obviously. that may be enuff...

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:05 PM   #5148
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to KenSmith Send a message via Yahoo to KenSmith

hmmm. I have tried adding more washers (but after a while you loose hex). I guess a thicker hex clamp would do the trick. Is there any way to do it without buying thicker hex clamps?
thanks!
Ken
KenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:11 PM   #5149
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

not sure bout that. seems like i have seen some ballstuds that were a lil shorter somewhere, but not sure that would be enough. these hexes are thicker. i have'em on one of the Evos, and i have yet to get a wheel to hit it.

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:35 PM   #5150
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer

Ken Most guys here are taking a little off of the ball cup. That is how I see it being done with the EVOs
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 09:52 AM   #5151
Tech Regular

This is for both 414 and Evo3 for foam tires.....

These pix from KSRCRACING.......he cannot post any pix...so I do it for him....

Cut the ball short and put a set screw.....apply some tread lock too......and use flanged tube (9805653)...

Hope this help.......TRF guy told KSRCRACING for this mod....
AlanLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:24 PM   #5152
Tech Rookie

Default Original Wheel Axles for Evo3

Feedback and input appreciated:

I've been driving at my local track for the past couple of months and my EVO 3 is placing higher and higher every weekend. The track I drive at RSJ Raceways (http://rsjraceways.com), formerly known as Venture Raceways in Libertyville, Illinois.

But in the last couple of weekends, I've been having problems with the wheels axles that came with my EVO 3. Basically, they've been cracking or have cracked. First one side then the other. This is also happening with my TA-04 which uses the same wheel axles as my Evo 3.

The track is sort of brand new(same carpet though) and the new owner put in solid wood lane dividers similar to the Tamiya track in CA but not with curved curbs. Prior to this, the track used PCV pipes for the track layout by the previous owners. With the PCV pipes, the worst damage I've encountered is one new lower arm on my TB-01 as well as stripped front one-way gears (a bunch) on my EVO 3.

But in the last couple of weeks, I've had two front wheel axles on my EVO 3 crack and two front wheel axles on my TA-04 as well as a bent left front swing shaft. Needless to say, it's been frustrating. I'm not even hitting the walls hard or as much. I mean, I back off on the throttle when I know I'm gonna hit something to avoid any more damage than necessary.

Would the new titanium wheel axles from Tamiya help solve this problem (Hop-Up Option #53681)? Or would it direct more of the force from an impact to another part of the drivetrain?

Also, I read in the previous pages of this thread that one of the guys had a fix for not stripping the front one way gears that use the existing parts. Would someone have that fix available?

Appreciate any info suggestions you may have.
Rob6rR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 08:56 PM   #5153
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing
Default Re: Original Wheel Axles for Evo3

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob6rR
Also, I read in the previous pages of this thread that one of the guys had a fix for not stripping the front one way gears that use the existing parts. Would someone have that fix available?
Rob I'm working on it. I ran again this weekend- Friday and Saturday on carpet with the oneway (just for test purposes) with foam tires and the car was not only suuuper fast, but never once chipped a tooth. It still feel glassy smooth.

I'll be getting feedack from the other person who has the fix on his cars from Cali soon. After that we'll post the fix on here.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 09:19 PM   #5154
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to f1larry
Default Re: Original Wheel Axles for Evo3

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob6rR
Feedback and input appreciated:

I've been driving at my local track for the past couple of months and my EVO 3 is placing higher and higher every weekend. The track I drive at RSJ Raceways (http://rsjraceways.com), formerly known as Venture Raceways in Libertyville, Illinois.

But in the last couple of weekends, I've been having problems with the wheels axles that came with my EVO 3. Basically, they've been cracking or have cracked. First one side then the other. This is also happening with my TA-04 which uses the same wheel axles as my Evo 3.

The track is sort of brand new(same carpet though) and the new owner put in solid wood lane dividers similar to the Tamiya track in CA but not with curved curbs. Prior to this, the track used PCV pipes for the track layout by the previous owners. With the PCV pipes, the worst damage I've encountered is one new lower arm on my TB-01 as well as stripped front one-way gears (a bunch) on my EVO 3.

But in the last couple of weeks, I've had two front wheel axles on my EVO 3 crack and two front wheel axles on my TA-04 as well as a bent left front swing shaft. Needless to say, it's been frustrating. I'm not even hitting the walls hard or as much. I mean, I back off on the throttle when I know I'm gonna hit something to avoid any more damage than necessary.

Would the new titanium wheel axles from Tamiya help solve this problem (Hop-Up Option #53681)? Or would it direct more of the force from an impact to another part of the drivetrain?

Appreciate any info suggestions you may have.
Robbie,

I just took my Evo3 apart and I noticed that my king pins were bent. You might want to check that out too. I also put a diff in the front and the car is much better at the track. With RSJ being so tight I like the extra braking you get from having the oneway.

Did Eugene ask you my question about your gearing?

Are you going to be up at the track on Thursday?

Larry
Old 12-13-2003, 11:27 PM   #5155
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

We now have a complete Titanium Screw kit for the Tamiya EVOIII available on our website in the Hop-up Section

Also, I would like to welcome Reedy 2003 Champion and Tamiya Championship National champion, Rod Canare (rtypec that we all know here on R/C Tech) to the Speed Tech R/C team of drivers. Welcome to the team Rod!

Steve Wang
Old 12-14-2003, 08:43 AM   #5156
Tech Elite

Thanks Steve, I look foward to teaming up with the MIA Berger and laying some serious smack down at the track. Yesterday, I was able to get the blue car working well with a one way and modified but the car needs a little more stability during back and forth transitions (ala quick chicanes). I think the runs that Steve saw were like my second or third run with the car so I was still kinda figuring things out but the car responds well to "logical" setup changes . Later on, I kept the same setup and put a 19T and spool in it to run with the guys. The car was VERY good.

I would suggest picking up the Square center and front brace. They provide a lot of support and coupled with a counter sunk upper deck, the chassis was completely flat after building. THe car never tweaked either...esp after launching off the infamous kink in the dogleg at Tamiya America. Great stuff and I believe Steve is working on bringing a lot of Japanese goodies in for us to play with
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:56 PM   #5157
Tech Adept

rtypec...any pics and info(where to get) on the square center n front brace?

alanlim...good job.
elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 04:36 PM   #5158
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by elephant
rtypec...any pics and info(where to get) on the square center n front brace?

alanlim...good job.
http://www.rc-square.com/parts0023.htm

you can see the pics there.

if you want to get some of those parts. Try www.hobbymania.com.hk

It's better for you to email Andy to get the stock info.
TRF-Powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:23 PM   #5159
Tech Rookie

Default Re: Re: Original Wheel Axles for Evo3

Quote:
Originally posted by f1larry
Robbie,

I just took my Evo3 apart and I noticed that my king pins were bent. You might want to check that out too. I also put a diff in the front and the car is much better at the track. With RSJ being so tight I like the extra braking you get from having the oneway.

Did Eugene ask you my question about your gearing?

Are you going to be up at the track on Thursday?

Larry
Hi Larry,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I just got home from work. Thank you for your suggestion. I'll have to take apart the suspension when I get the new wheel axles and swing shafts for both of my cars. Hopefully they'll arrive before Thursday so I can make it out to the track.

I ordered two sets of Tamiya Titanium Wheel axles thru eBay. They were a little pricey but compared to what Tamiya USA sells them for, they're worth the expense. Also, I've noticed that this all started happening (cracked wheel axles and bent swing shafts) after I installed double rubber sealed bearings made my Acer. Prior to this, the bearings on both my EVO 3 and TA-04 came with the kits. Kinda makes you think, huh?

Anyway, with regards to your question, I use a 96 spur and a 32 pinion for the track at RSJ's. My final gear ratio is 7.80. Also, I use blue sway bars front and back. Shock oil is Tamiya 400 front and rear as well as 2 hole pistons. Springs are white for the front and blue for the rears. And yes, I use the front one way.

Although it's not sanctioned, I also use the Tamiya lightweight NSX body. I think my suspension setup only works with this body.
When I try to use my HPI Vauxhall body, I have to soften up the rear a little bit; basically by swapping out the blue springs and putting in the yellows.

Hopefully I'll be able to come out this Thursday with all the broken parts on my car(s) repaired. I haven't been able to race the last couple of weekends because of the cracked wheel axles which I incurred prior to the race even starting. It has been very frustrating.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Hopefully it'll be as simple a fix as you stated.
Rob6rR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:54 PM   #5160
Tech Addict

Hey Rod,
The blue car looked good on the track this past weekend. I'm wondering should I get he upper deck counter-sunk or not, or build it per kit.
gtypecanare is offline   Reply With Quote