Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-04-2003, 01:14 PM   #5056
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Re: TRF Dampers

Quote:
Originally posted by MattW
Guys

Is it normal for the TRF dampers to have quite a lot of re-bound?? I haven't built any "Internal bladder" type shocks in ages, so not sure if it is normal.

If they were "Foam compensated" shocks i would say they had too much oil in them.

cheers
A lot of rebound? Do you mean it rebounds too fast from end to end?
If it is too quick then you have to much oil but it should rebound fully and not half way, then this means it lacks oil.
Slow full shaft rebound si the right mix.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:27 PM   #5057
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

That's the thing, i'm not totally sure what is "too fast" i have built 2 dampers and they both rebound fully to the end of the stroke in just under 2 seconds, from having the top of the thread level with the shaft guide in the seal houding.

The only shocks that i am comparing to are Schumacher and Associated, which both take longer.

Yeah thy feel like maybe there is too much oil, but i thought that the bladder would get rid of all of the exess with it is fitted - that's what it seems to suggest on the instruction sheet (such that it is!!)
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 03:43 PM   #5058
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by MattW
That's the thing, i'm not totally sure what is "too fast" i have built 2 dampers and they both rebound fully to the end of the stroke in just under 2 seconds, from having the top of the thread level with the shaft guide in the seal houding.

The only shocks that i am comparing to are Schumacher and Associated, which both take longer.

Yeah thy feel like maybe there is too much oil, but i thought that the bladder would get rid of all of the exess with it is fitted - that's what it seems to suggest on the instruction sheet (such that it is!!)
I think they are ok. When I say quick, I mean less than a second quick. Feels like there is pressure even without the springs.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:07 PM   #5059
Tech Fanatic

quick question guys,

i bought another surikan second hand and all the shocks (all 4) have different holes in the disc and looks like different oils, i've cleaned it all out and rebuilt them, but one of them is still different to the rest of them. All 3 have two holes and the 4th has one. How much a a difference will this make? i've bought some more two hole disc but i was just wondering if it is worth dismantling the whole shock to change it?

thanx
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:21 PM   #5060
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by hawker
quick question guys,

i bought another surikan second hand and all the shocks (all 4) have different holes in the disc and looks like different oils, i've cleaned it all out and rebuilt them, but one of them is still different to the rest of them. All 3 have two holes and the 4th has one. How much a a difference will this make? i've bought some more two hole disc but i was just wondering if it is worth dismantling the whole shock to change it?

thanx
Your kidding right? Just in case your not...yes, it is worth dismantling them and make them all consistent. But if you do keep it that way and start wining like Surikarn. Let us know and I'll do the same.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:30 PM   #5061
Tech Fanatic

ahha lol i wish

yeah i thought it would make a difference lolo, well i'll let u know how i go lol.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:35 PM   #5062
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by hierog
gotta say i like the red too! it stands out from the rest of the "blue" crowd!
I have mixed the red and blue parts on my car and it looks great. Especially the shocks.

The shocks have the standard Flourine coated silvery top and bottom caps, the body is Blue and the threaded collars are Tech Racing Red. The bottom spring retainers are the TRF Blue alloy ones.
They look sick!!!

When I get my camera back I'll get some pics....

steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:58 PM   #5063
Tech Fanatic

Default TECH RACING SHAFT

Just a quick question regarding the fitment of the Tech Racing 3 piece Shaft.
There was a larger "O Ring" that came in the packet with the spur gear mount. Does this go on the spur gear mount where it is recessed or does it simply go on the shaft somewhere??
The Instructions are not really clear and do not explain things properly.

Any help is appreciated.

Steevo
Old 12-04-2003, 05:35 PM   #5064
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Steevo

It goes on the spur gear mount.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:54 PM   #5065
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Steevo

Quote:
Originally posted by stonedgti
It goes on the spur gear mount.

Thanks,
I thought that was what the recessed part on the spur mount was for..

steevo
Old 12-05-2003, 01:24 AM   #5066
Tech Fanatic

steevo

do you have any idea what sort of gear ratio or rollout I should be aiming for for Johnson 540 Class, down at meakin?
Old 12-05-2003, 05:04 AM   #5067
Tech Addict

Default 540 Rollout

Yeah aim for about 44 to 45 mm rollout that will get u close.Lets hope it doesnt rain.
HobbyOne
Why Try? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:46 AM   #5068

Default My Cleveland Setup

Back from Cleveland and someone was asking for my EVO III setup that put me in the A stock final. I have to say this car was perfect in my last qualifier, but my brain fade got between me and TQ with about 40 seconds left on the run - D'oh! .

In the main I gave my motor to troy from Fantom to tune and it was dog slow in the main. It was like I was running the Tamiya silver can 540 motor and everyone else was running the Trinity monster stock. I was able to do 11.7 and 11.8 second laps in the last qualifier and only managed 12.2 12.3 in the main, with the same setup and battery I used in the last qualifier. When I got the motor from Troy it was pulling only 4.5 amps at 2 volts. When I gave it to him it was pulling 11 amps at 2 volts. Oh well thanks to troy for his help, but I think I will stick to tuning my own motors from now on.

Here is the setup from what I can remember.

Front:

swaybar : Blue
Shock oil : 80 weight
Tires : Speedmind 35/52 shore multi compound
Springs : Assoc Copper
Camber : -1
Kickup/Anti-dive : None
Ackerman : agressive - connected linkage to hole on steering knuckle closest to the front of the car.
Ride Height : 5mm
UpTravel : 1mm
Shock Position : Outer holes on tower and A arm.
Wheelbase : The A arms are as far back as possible.
Diff : Normal diff slightly - a little more gritty and tight than the rear - I did not use antiwear grease as I have found the diff tends to slip more.
Toe out : 0
RollCenter : (low) I had the hing pin blocks on the chassis with no spacers. I had the upper links in the upper hole closest to the center of the chassis on the shock tower on the stock car (EVO III) and a 2mm spacer for the Mod Car (Surikan Edition)

Rear:
swaybar : Blue
Shock oil : 50weight
Tires : Speedmind 35 shore
Springs : Assoc Copper
Camber : -2
Anti-squat : none
Ride Height : 5mm
UpTravel : 1mm
Shock Position : Outer holes on A arm. Third hold in from outside on the shock tower
Wheelbase : one 2mm spacer from being all the way forward
diff : normal diff
Toe in : 1 degree (I ran the 2 degree uprights with the A block in the rear and the C block in the front)
RollCenter : (low) I had the hing pin blocks on the chassis with no spacers. I had the upper links in the upper hole closest to the center of the chassis on the shock tower on the stock car (EVO III) and a 2mm spacer for the Mod Car (Surikan Edition). I attached the upper link to the outside hole on the rear uprights.

Few! I hope I did not forget anything.

I used the same setup for both mod and stock and found it to provide a well balanced car. I also tried 1/2 degree of rear toe which helped the car not slow down mid corner but I changed back to 1 degree rear toe to smooth out the car in couple sections of the track.

Martin Crisp

Last edited by mcrisp; 12-05-2003 at 12:05 PM.
mcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:16 AM   #5069
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Hi Martin!!! You're not the only one who has had that "type" of motor problem in the past. Eric Anderson of Putnam Propulsion is the only one that has ever given me more motor than I could produce myself...

About your setup- It sounds great. I've been running the new gray Tamiya Super Hard springs front and rear. I believe they are similar to the coppers. However, I found the car felt better with yellow swaybars all the way around- what did you find with the swaybars? Do you happen to remember what shock oil you were running? I've been running 40wt/2hole and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Keep in mind my settings are only what I have found in running the car 2 days on carpet. I hope to try some of your setup and a few other things in the near future.

Well, congratulations again!! and thanks for posting!
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 01:00 PM   #5070
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

izzy, cheers for your help. I think there was just a little too much oil in there, took a little out and they felt much better - so smooth!!!

btw, do they do an alloy adjuster nut??
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote