R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2003, 05:20 PM   #5011
Tech Master
 
f1larry's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 1,730
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to f1larry
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: One-way, once-more! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Mark, I thought about this exact fix but I am not sure how I can keep the bearing there short of gluing it there. I think it's important that the bearing stays true otherwise it will affect the front even more. If you know how this could be done I's sure like to try it! Thanks, Jeff
I have heard of that fix as well but I am no sure of what size bearing to use. As for keeping the bearing in you would probably have to use a flanged bearing once you find out the right size.
__________________
Windy City RC Raceway & Hobbies, Arlington Heights, IL
Exotek F1R3|Tamiya TRF 415|TA05 v2|TA05|TL01RA|TL01|M06|F104 Pro|F103RM|RM-01
Custom Racing Stickers
2012 TCS Race #170 "The Track" @ Harbor Hobby Best of Show Mini Pro
f1larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 05:28 PM   #5012
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra81li200
it does not change the ackermann, but the bump steer as well as the roll centre.
Did you try this? How does it work if you have? Thanks.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 05:47 PM   #5013
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 737
Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200
Default

basically, using C2 on left and C1 on right will add bump steer, and thus the car will have more off power and on power steering but less in the middle of the curb.

About the roll center, I'm not sure about that, I think it just changes the angle of the arms, but the parallelogram is still the same.
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:11 PM   #5014
Tech Elite
 
BigDogRacing's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,955
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing
Default

Cobra, I believe the roll center change makes more difference than the bump steer. It changes the roll center by increasing the angle thus lowering the roll center therefore increasing the roll moment which increases the tendency of the chassis to roll deeper into the turn.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:48 PM   #5015
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default Bevel Gear

I keep breaking the front bevel/input gear on my surikarn and I see there is a lot of fore/aft play on the drive shaft so I decided to check out my rear too. This is what I found. Pretty scary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn6702.jpg (156.8 KB, 187 views)
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:12 PM   #5016
Tech Elite
 
markp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 4,069
Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: One-way, once-more! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Mark, I thought about this exact fix but I am not sure how I can keep the bearing there short of gluing it there. I think it's important that the bearing stays true otherwise it will affect the front even more. If you know how this could be done I's sure like to try it! Thanks, Jeff
This was also debated on the German forums and the concensus was that it should be glued in with a couple of tacks of CA. But if you've got fore-aft play on the drive shaft, that probably wouldn't help in your case.
I'll check mine this evening, but I haven't noticed any fore-aft play.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:30 PM   #5017
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One-way, once-more! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
This was also debated on the German forums and the concensus was that it should be glued in with a couple of tacks of CA. But if you've got fore-aft play on the drive shaft, that probably wouldn't help in your case.
I'll check mine this evening, but I haven't noticed any fore-aft play.

Cheers, Mark.
Well, it turned out the reason I was having fore-aft play on the shaft is because the rear bevel was broken. Once I replaced it there is hardly any play anymore.

This gear breaks so much I am gonna have to buy it by the dozen (part number 50987 I can memorize by heart lol)! I have ordered the square gear box housing and perhaps that will help. I also ordered a front one-way from Jürgen and that might help too.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:36 PM   #5018
Tech Elite
 
markp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 4,069
Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One-way, once-more! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Well, it turned out the reason I was having fore-aft play on the shaft is because the rear bevel was broken. Once I replaced it there is hardly any play anymore.

This gear breaks so much I am gonna have to buy it by the dozen (part number 50987 I can memorize by heart lol)! I have ordered the square gear box housing and perhaps that will help. I also ordered a front one-way from Jürgen and that might help too.
This is something I will probably do, too. The Jürgen one-way looks good!! Is it a definitive fix?

Do you have a link to the Square gearbox housing?

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:46 PM   #5019
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One-way, once-more! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
This is something I will probably do, too. The Jürgen one-way looks good!! Is it a definitive fix?

Do you have a link to the Square gearbox housing?

Cheers, Mark.
I don't know if the Jürgen one-way is THE fix but I shall let you know once I get it and have some race time with it. Everything I read sounds good thus far.

I have a link to the Square site but it's in Japanese. I am having my sister getting it for me (she is in Asia).

http://www.rc-square.com
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:52 PM   #5020
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,634
Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer
Default

Jeff I have a question for you

Which hole is the spur gear mount pin located in?? I would wonder if you are using the rear hole, or the front hole. My guess is the rear hole, which is allowing the shaft to move much further forward than it should.
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:10 PM   #5021
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tamiyarcracer
Jeff I have a question for you

Which hole is the spur gear mount pin located in?? I would wonder if you are using the rear hole, or the front hole. My guess is the rear hole, which is allowing the shaft to move much further forward than it should.
Funny you should ask, I just took it apart and wonder about the same thing.

I am indeed using the rear per instruction. I thought about using the front but that will exacerbate my problem.

The reason I kept stripping the shaft notch of the front bevel is because the rear bevel is broken, allowing the shaft to move rearward. As a result the shaft is not always engaging the front bevel completely. After a while, it strips the rear of the shaft notch.

After replacing the rear bevel, there is now almost no play on the shaft, and the noise in the gearbox is gone. We'll see whether how long this will hold.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 05:44 AM   #5022
Tech Elite
 
BigDogRacing's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,955
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing
Default

Jeff and Mark- you must have missed my post above. I have the fix for the problem and I'm working on getting pictures for you. You will also need a small inexpensive part from Radio Shack or the equivalent to do the fix. I need to make sure their part is the right thickness, too.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:34 AM   #5023
Tech Elite
 
markp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 4,069
Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Jeff and Mark- you must have missed my post above. I have the fix for the problem and I'm working on getting pictures for you. You will also need a small inexpensive part from Radio Shack or the equivalent to do the fix. I need to make sure their part is the right thickness, too.
You're right too many postings to read through. Look forward to seeing your fix.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 12:37 PM   #5024
Tech Elite
 
seaball's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,303
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball
Thumbs up evoIII in cleveland

congrats to martin crisp who put the evoIII into the a-main in stock touring yesterday at the u.s. indoor champs.

nice to see some imports in there.
__________________
*** The Gate II - Home of Mike Wise ***
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:40 PM   #5025
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 132
Default

Unfortunately they have discontinued the best fix for the One-way stripping problem.......The Tech 3 Piece Shaft.

The kit has the right bearing supplied for the forward deck brace as well as a nicely designed 3 piece shaft.

I still have the original plastic gear box in my car and with the front one-way shimmed slightly and the Tech Shaft, my front gears are in excellent condition after months of use.
CustomfibreR/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling Schumacher Mi2, Tamiya M02, Tamiya TA04-S, Tamiya TB Evolution 3 Surikarn Ltd st_rob Australia For Sale/Trade 4 12-23-2008 06:37 PM
FS: Tamiya TB Evolution II (NEW) ivan3721 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 05-18-2008 04:56 PM
FS: Tamiya TB Evolution 5 veecee Australia For Sale/Trade 3 07-20-2007 07:13 PM
tamiya tb evolution 5 b-man777 Electric On-Road 1 05-24-2006 10:38 AM
XXX-S GP VS Tamiya Evolution III capricess Electric On-Road 29 01-27-2003 07:49 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:00 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net