Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

i love my car! no need to cheer me up

SD .. gear problems yey!

Tarnjit
Old 10-29-2003, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

How many degrees or front/rear camber do you usually set on the TB EVO 3?
Old 10-29-2003, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

When i race outdoor i normally use 1.5 - 2 degree camber all around
Old 10-29-2003, 10:48 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Suradaj
When you guys put on the bevel gear, there are numbers on them. There are two molds that TAMIYA have for those bevel gears. The one with the number "2" is the better mold. More true and it also helps a bit with the striping problem. Try not to use the one with the number "1" on it. The mold on that is slightly off.
I have heard another story regarding the bevel gears from the team drivers here. The number 1 gear should be used for the oneway and the number 2 gear for the rear diff. When I look at the bevel gears I canīt see whatīs the difference but from what I have heard the angle at the teeth are different.
Interesting thing is the number 1 gears arenīt available as spareparts. At least I havenīt found any.
There are some number 1 gears not running true but not all of them. The one Iīm using since long a time doesnīt make that problem.

Another thing is the play some people have at the drive shaft. My number 1 gear donīt have any play, itīs a real tight fit. When I have to remove the drive shaft for changing the main gear itīs not that easy because of the tight fit. But the number 2 gear at the rear is a little lose. But thatīs not much of a play. Iīm using it since I built my EVO3.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:30 AM

I got a lot of nice gears and information from Jimmy J a while back. And that was the information that was relayed from the builders of TAMIYA, Japan about the bevel gears.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

wow , i never noticed the 1 or 2 on the pinions!!
just looked at the 2 spare bevel gears i brought , out of the packet i got two number 1 pinions. looked thru all my spares and i have a few 2s and a few 1s.

so theoretically, runnind a 1way in the front. number 2 pinion in the back and 1 in the front,

how about running a diff in the front aswell? what pinions would you recomend

cheers

Tarnjit
Old 10-29-2003, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

What is the difference between the two pinions? surely it can't be that much???

If the angle is different, does that have an affect on the way the front and rear gear boxes work? I'm taking my evo apart right now lol.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

lol just did it!

from what i noticed when useing pinin 2 in the front it reduces the play to virtually nothing, with pinion 1 there is a tiny bit of play.

right, PLEASE PLEASE dont tell me this is the one way fix and tamiya new this all along!
Old 10-29-2003, 01:32 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Evo_Uk
wow , i never noticed the 1 or 2 on the pinions!!
just looked at the 2 spare bevel gears i brought , out of the packet i got two number 1 pinions. looked thru all my spares and i have a few 2s and a few 1s.

so theoretically, runnind a 1way in the front. number 2 pinion in the back and 1 in the front,

how about running a diff in the front aswell? what pinions would you recomend

cheers

Tarnjit
Thatīs a good question. I think a number 2 also for the front when running a diff as itīs the same ring gear. But I have to say I never used a front diff nor any other driver I know of here is using one.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

one of a kind!

well i kind of had no option . the track i run at has a very tight sharp hairpin, yeah it is possible to do with the oneway and do good but its alot easier with a diff especially if you are racing as u can slam the brakes

just noticed i have loads of number ones and only 1 number 2!!! who wants to trade =-)

Tarnj
Old 10-29-2003, 01:42 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally posted by hawker
What is the difference between the two pinions? surely it can't be that much???

If the angle is different, does that have an affect on the way the front and rear gear boxes work? I'm taking my evo apart right now lol.
When looking at both of the pinion gears I canīt tell whatīs the difference as they look the same basically. But it makes no sense making the same gears with different numbers. Maybe you have to use a microscope to see the difference.

As the front and rear gearbox is the same this shouldnīt make a difference but I think the ringgear makes the difference.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

OK OK OK ARR

im oficially the worlds most confused man.

just looking at all my pinions ive had , i got 6 pinions.

4 came with the kit and 2 i just brought.

i have 5 Pinion1s and 1 Pinion2

i had this thought in my head maybe you guys got it wrong and its actually the Pinion2 for the one way and Pinion 1 for the diff as i brought 2 spare packs of bevel gears and got 1s.....

then i thought!!! wait a seconD! i just put the new pinions on my drive train and the pinions out of the packet were a 1 and a 2!!

that means with the kit i was supplied with pinion 1s only and i got my pinion2 in a spare pack of bevel gears.

this is crazy?!!??!

i have a feelin its just a number becasue they got bored of the number 1 or something
Old 10-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Evo_UK- they are the same mold just different material. And don't get too excited- they both fail. I believe one might last a little longer than the other, but neither will fix the problem.

I thought I would have the ultimate fix by now, but my guy hasn't called. Not even sure he's working on it. TO be honest, I'm getting a little tired of waiting.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Guys it is not the holy grail of fixes. Jun commented on it back in May. But also said it is a .00000000001 part of building the car. (Very Small) As far as different molds it is the EDM method of how Tamiya makes any of their parts molds. It is cool to watch but every mold is slightly different. Someone at the factory noticed there is a slightly different tolerance between the two molds. Shimming the box is still the best and most reliable method. Also as BD said it is still not foolproof and the gears will fail under extreme load.
As far as different material, #1 and #2 are the same material just for mfg. tracking, the molds are numbered same as any mass mfg will have so parts can be pulled if a mold is bad. There is no specified part to get in the kit or in a parts bag they just pull the parts needed when packaging. The F201 uses the same crown gear material and molds. If you are in search of the elusive #1-#2 in their natural habitat.

Cheers
Old 10-29-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Difuser
Shimming the box is still the best and most reliable method.

Cheers
I agree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.