R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-28-2003, 04:55 PM   #4606
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default racenut123

I know your situation with the Jurgen one-way. Mine is coming this week. I was also wondering how that Penguin back-plate is holding up. I also have that coming in this week. Haven't heard any input since a couple of pages back.

I made a new Front Bevel Gear by drilling out a rear diff bevel gear. The material seems to be of a harder compound. I'm testing it to see how it holds up this weekend.

I like playing around with different ways to fix this problem.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:59 PM   #4607
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TRF-Powered
http://www.rc-square.com/parts0023.htm

square makes them. that that's the like on top!
I didnt know that the Square chassis was milled down for low CG. There was one other company that made it, does anyone remember which company that was, and what their site URL is?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:01 PM   #4608
Tech Addict

Randman

you got PM
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:01 PM   #4609
Tech Regular

go back about 10 pages, its their
Evo_Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:06 PM   #4610

When you guys put on the bevel gear, there are numbers on them. There are two molds that TAMIYA have for those bevel gears. The one with the number "2" is the better mold. More true and it also helps a bit with the striping problem. Try not to use the one with the number "1" on it. The mold on that is slightly off.
Suradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 06:02 PM   #4611
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by racer
Randman

you got PM
Thanks Racer!
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 06:19 PM   #4612
Tech Addict

Hey randy,
Your still posting, which is a good thing. How close is the Ceder Fire? I'm La Jolla and it felt like 5PM all day, with the smoke.

George
gtypecanare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 06:23 PM   #4613
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by racenut123
Ok.....Just because you have had no problems doesnt mean squat,12 runs are nothing.Most dont go that long with the stock gear before problems start.There are gonna be the exceptions like yourself,but don't make generalized statements for others when they are having issues and your comments are not helping.The Jurgen oneway fix is excellent and so is the penguin backing plate.You are fortunate but not credible.you are one of a few and most are one of many with problems with the front end.Not thier fault.Tamiyas fault.Hopefully they can restore faith in thier loyal customers.

I agree with steevos and rctype in thier statement,but disagree with you totally custom.

Stonegti...you know my take on this situation.
12 runs is alot more than most guys who have not tried to fix the one-way problem get. Before I shimmed my one way I was changing gears every second run so the shimming has helped alot.
Some guys are just very quick to hand over cash when it is not really necessary. I know of a lot of guys who have basically solved the problem with shimming and there are a lot of guys on this thread who seem to have done the same....

Any how My real point was that aftermarket one-ways and gear plates may fix the problem but with a little experimenting and a bag of shimms it seems the problem CAN be conquered cheaply while keeping the car original.

Don't be annoyed by one persons opinion. The only people I would expect to be annoyed are the people trying to make some money out of the problem....
CustomfibreR/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 07:53 PM   #4614
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by CustomfibreR/C
Any how My real point was that aftermarket one-ways and gear plates may fix the problem but with a little experimenting and a bag of shimms it seems the problem CAN be conquered cheaply while keeping the car original.
Custom, I'm actually working on a fix, but I'm not annoyed.

You are, however, wrong about the shims fixing the oneway. We have seen many people come and go that say their cars don't have the problem. The shims will help lessen the problem and even fix it in rare cases. We aren't sure why it doesn't fix all cars, but you can bet your left nut if there was a way to fix it with shims I would have gotten it fixed.

I am happy that your car is one fo the "special ones" that doesn't have the problem.

Funny thing is, I met a guy who told me his car was fine and didn't have the problem either. I told him to loosen the pinion so I could check it and his reply was "why loosen the pinion?". I checked it- it was bad- pulled the cover to confirm. All you guys keep that in mind when you hear about all these cars that don't have any stripping problems.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:16 PM   #4615
Tech Adept

well I am glad I have the guardian angel of One-ways on my side.

On the serious side I do pull the front one-way and shaft crown pinion out after every race day and Inspect it under a desk top magnifier and the teeth remain perfect apart from normal wear. When assembled and with the pinion removed from the motor the shaft spins very smoothly without the slightest notchy feel. Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones and for that I am happy.
CustomfibreR/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 11:58 PM   #4616
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

Quote:
Originally posted by CustomfibreR/C
well I am glad I have the guardian angel of One-ways on my side.

On the serious side I do pull the front one-way and shaft crown pinion out after every race day and Inspect it under a desk top magnifier and the teeth remain perfect apart from normal wear. When assembled and with the pinion removed from the motor the shaft spins very smoothly without the slightest notchy feel. Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones and for that I am happy.
I bet u r the luckiest one!! I had replaced tons of ring gear before i do some mod. i replaced all the screws that being used to hold the bulkhead. I glued all the bearings to their bulkhead and also get another bearing for the middle mount, near the steering. its done and its fixed....no more gear problem. Well, at least for now...after 20 packs and some hit & run by the nitro guys.hahhahaha
Old 10-29-2003, 01:07 AM   #4617
Tech Adept

Default Light weight products

Hi guys

Please find following more details regarding the lightweight stuff:

- G STYLE TB20003 TEAM BOMBER EVO3 LIGHT WEIGHT CARBON CENTRE SHAFT
- SQUARE STB-50A TB EVOLUTION 3 TITANIUM WHEEL AXLE

In our track we use a 21 turn motor, which is pretty fast! Our lap times are only 1 sec less than those using modifieds. With the front differential I found the car handles better, is actually faster and after more than 40 runs, never changed a gear

Never used any shims either

With all these lightweight stuff, I had the possibility to add the titanium gear boxes (front & rear) and a cooling fan to the motor and am still under the 1.5 kg ... 1.499 to be exact (complete with electrics/wheels/body)!
McLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:57 AM   #4618
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally posted by Suradaj
Mark...

I used the 9550 in my EVO but I do not use a servo saver. I use the solid KO arm and it works fine when I turn to the right. Just like Difuser mentioned, use the longer arm.

I also noticed that there where problems with the TAMIYA white servo saver. All of mine, even new ones do not recenter. When coming onto the straight it either drifts to the right or to the left but never locked in the center. I looked at the saver and there is a bit of play in it. Even when I used a new one.

Have any one tried the new black servo saver? Is there a difference in material?
Do you mean you use the solid saver which normally comes with the servo?

I used the white servo saver which came with the Surikarn kit and I think it was the longest one which I used (also the one marked as Tamiya-Futaba).

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:26 AM   #4619
Tech Regular

lol the only problem you have made Mclaren is doing to many things to your car at once! now how will we know what 'fixed' your drive train

Well im guessing it IS the carbon prop shaft. How does it fit the pinions? nice and snug or is there alot of play?

Could you get us any pics?

thanks alot

Tarnjit
Evo_Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:39 AM   #4620
Tech Adept

The propeller shaft fits just little bit loose in the pinions ... however I never had problems even with the standard aluminium red propeller If you check some pages before this one, another guy posted a photo of this shaft.

Cheer up, yesterday in our track a Yokomo SD had problems with gears!
McLaren is offline   Reply With Quote