R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-26-2003, 06:18 PM   #4561
Tech Regular

Default Another Possible solution for the front one way

Hi Guys,

I am testing out another solution for the front one way. gear issue. I have placed a SD one way in the front, the gear count and size are exactly the same. The only difference is the length of the one way, this is resolved by putting the shims on one side of the one way.So far i have had it whack into everything and i have yet to strip a gear .

Try it, it may work for you like it does for me. it is a good feeling not having to change the gears anymore.

Cheers
viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:56 PM   #4562
Tech Initiate

Default Funny sound during acceleration

hi guys,

Need some advise. I am running a brushless motor on my EvoIII and when I accelerate it make a funny sound like the gear is not properly mesh. I check the gear tooth after running 1 pack and it looks ok.

Some ppl said that the front gear box needs to be change as the alignment of the diff is slightly out & therefore creating the sound. Moreover the front gear box has to b changed every now and then. More frequent if you always crash.

I am not very sure about this. Maybe I should try it with a brush motor. Is it due to the gearing or the brushless motor? HELP :-(

RC Mania
RC Mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:06 PM   #4563
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey, does anybody know if Tamiya is planning on being a sponsor of the Snowbird Nationals if Florida ?? So far they are not listed in the sponsor list on the Snowbirds website. www.snowbirdnationals.com
Are any Tamiya drivers planning on attending?? I went to last years meet and I think only 2 drivers were there and I believe only 1 drove an EVO3. It was disappointing to be wearing a Tamiya shirt with no top drivers to support.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:09 PM   #4564
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

When putting spacers under the arm mounts, how many degrees per mm is it???
Old 10-26-2003, 08:11 PM   #4565
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

RC Mania,
are you running the stock pinion and spur gears??? have you run the car previously?? If so, check the front gear case. It's possible you have stripped the 1 way gear. Also, double check your pinion and spur gear mesh. It's possible that under a load you made have some slippage.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:30 PM   #4566
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to stulec52 Send a message via AIM to stulec52

EvoRacer

"double check your pinion and spur gear mesh"

Ok, I have been having all sorts of problems since going back indoors and running foams on carpet with my car constantly stripping the front pinion, also I find it slips of the D shaped key so that the front end gets really tight.

You talk about mesh in there, ok, but how can we adjust it?
Surely it's a fixed mesh?

I even went to the extreme of drilling through my driveshaft and pinning the front gear in place, didn't help though as I still took 2 teeth off a brand new pinion first run out ( and no I didn't hit anything)
So, I've ordered a new shaft, pinions and crown gears ( front and rear)
any ideas how I can make them last???

I am down to the last chance with this car, I love the chassis, it handles so nice, but if I can't overcome the gear (pinion) issue then it's for sale.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:43 PM   #4567
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Could someone please pm me a list of bearing sizes for the evo3 and how many of each the car takes. Im going to put together some ceramic sets but need the sizes.

Thanks

eric anderson
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:53 PM   #4568
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by stulec52
EvoRacer

"double check your pinion and spur gear mesh"

Ok, I have been having all sorts of problems since going back indoors and running foams on carpet with my car constantly stripping the front pinion, also I find it slips of the D shaped key so that the front end gets really tight.

You talk about mesh in there, ok, but how can we adjust it?
Surely it's a fixed mesh?

I have been following this thread for a while and i have yet to have any problems with my evo 3 se. I run in the newbie stock class at my local track so the car cops a flogging every week.

If you look a pinion gear in the rear gear box you will probably notice the shaft actually sticks out of the pinion. (well mine did)

what I did is get the 5mm shim set (53587) and shimmed the shaft 0.8mm before putting the pinion back onto the end of the shaft. The acutual amount of shims will probably be different for you.

this effectively moves the main drive shaft forward giving the pinion in the front gear box a bit more to grab on to.

I hope this actually makes sence. if not I will try to explain better or take pics when i borrow a digi cam from me mates

Last edited by jiggen5354; 10-26-2003 at 10:02 PM.
jiggen5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:00 PM   #4569
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by EAMotorsports
Could someone please pm me a list of bearing sizes for the evo3 and how many of each the car takes. Im going to put together some ceramic sets but need the sizes.

Thanks

eric anderson
taken from tower hobbies website

COMMENTS: For Replacement Ball Bearings use:
Qty. Size Location Bearing Set Qty.
(2) 10x 15mm ball diff (use 1 DTXC1595)
(2) 8 x 5mm ball diff (use 1 DTXC1523)
(2) 10 x 15mm front one-way (use 1 DTXC1595)
(2) 8 x 12mm gearboxes (use 1 DTXC1581)
(1) 6 x 12mm driveshaft (use 1 DTXC1569)
(4) 5 x 11mm rear axles (use-2 DTXC1547)
(4) 5 x 11mm front axles (use-2 DTXC1547)
jiggen5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:37 PM   #4570
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

Hi Evoracer,

One of my friends tried the square gear case for the first time this week end in the french nationals (only the front one) and he was really happy : for the first time he did not strip any pinion during the week end, although he had a big crash which destroyed 1/2 of the car (and bended the main shaft !!!).

So I recommend you buy at least one gear case and also the front deck support (part numbers are STB-38R and STB-5R) they're worth the money.

Hope this helps...

PS : the SD front one way is a good idea, but I couldn't let my mate try as I don't have one in my own SD...
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 04:13 AM   #4571
Tech Initiate

Default Tires

Anyone know if the 30mm tires fit on the car for carpet racing. I had to use the 26mm in the rear because the 30mm rubbed. Also experience some rub in the front with the 26mm and the upper link. Any advise would help.
savio7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 04:34 AM   #4572
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Tires

Quote:
Originally posted by savio7
Anyone know if the 30mm tires fit on the car for carpet racing. I had to use the 26mm in the rear because the 30mm rubbed. Also experience some rub in the front with the 26mm and the upper link. Any advise would help.
i race on foam pretty much all the time, i cut all my foam tires to 24mm wide front and rear.

(less width = more weight on a smaller contact patch = better grip/responsiveness)
Old 10-27-2003, 08:12 AM   #4573
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Funny sound during acceleration

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Mania
hi guys,

Need some advise. I am running a brushless motor on my EvoIII and when I accelerate it make a funny sound like the gear is not properly mesh. I check the gear tooth after running 1 pack and it looks ok.

Some ppl said that the front gear box needs to be change as the alignment of the diff is slightly out & therefore creating the sound. Moreover the front gear box has to b changed every now and then. More frequent if you always crash.

I am not very sure about this. Maybe I should try it with a brush motor. Is it due to the gearing or the brushless motor? HELP :-(

RC Mania
Here is a pic on my spur & pinion. Using stock 96T spur and 34Tpinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evo3-spur-pinion.jpg (70.0 KB, 139 views)
Old 10-27-2003, 08:14 AM   #4574
Tech Initiate

Quote:
hi guys,

RC Mania
Here is a pic on the rear diff. No sign of stripping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evo3-rear-diff.jpg (87.0 KB, 139 views)
Old 10-27-2003, 08:15 AM   #4575
Tech Initiate

Quote:
hi guys,

RC Mania
Here is my Evo3 with Schulze 58Ce esc and LMT5300 brushless motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evo3a.jpg (98.7 KB, 118 views)