R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-02-2003, 11:38 AM   #4186
Tech Fanatic

IMHO the tool set aint very good, the tips are not of the same quality or even in the same league as the Hudy tools. Also no idea how the prop performs as i aint used the car with the prop in yet and i might not ever use it again! Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 11:39 AM   #4187
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by trf racer
hey does big dog do all your bodies?
anyone no who makes the bad boy front lights?
BigDog does most of my custom design stuff, definately the guy to go to if you want bodies done nicely.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 12:20 PM   #4188

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
You're the first person I've heard of having a bad time with the tool set, I thought it was supposed to be the highest quality stuff out there... Can you buy replacement tips?
I don't think you can buy the TAMIYA tips. I just see them selling the whole tool. At the TAMIYA Nationals, they where selling the red and blues set and they where $135 each. I bouhgt my blue set for $95 new from overseas. They are not all the greatest(for me anyway). I broke the 1.5mm while trying to set the set screw on the 414 harden arm.
Suradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:22 PM   #4189
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Suradaj
I don't think you can buy the TAMIYA tips. I just see them selling the whole tool. At the TAMIYA Nationals, they where selling the red and blues set and they where $135 each. I bouhgt my blue set for $95 new from overseas. They are not all the greatest(for me anyway). I broke the 1.5mm while trying to set the set screw on the 414 harden arm.
They propably just made the steel a little too hard to where it's brittle, how is the fitment on them, is that good at least?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:35 PM   #4190
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Suradaj
I have never had any problem with my tool set and I have had it since June. I even got the set screws in the arms without drilling them out like the S.E. manual says. YOu guys are just too buff!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:37 PM   #4191

Yes they fit into the socket pretty well. Just make sure you put them in as far as you can. Maybe not all the tools are brittle. I just got the bad set or something. They are really nice tools though. The one I have been using the most is the 2.5mm(ballend). The works pretty wekk putting the motor into the EVO. Hasn't strip any screws with it and no wear on the tip.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:09 PM   #4192

Masami TQ and wins the JMRCA Expert Class. He drove superbly and made no single mistakes in all three finals. Something which was hard to see with the rest of the field. Surikarn wins the B Main.

1 Masami Hirosaka
2 Atsushi Hara
3 Daisuke Yoshioka
4 Shinnosuke Adachi
5 Hideo Kitazawa
6 Andreas Myrberg
7 Yoshinari Maeda
8 Kazuyoshi Fujita
9 Masayuki Murai
10 Kazuo Muramatsu

Masami
...conquered Ichirino RC Plaza for the second time in a row. Last year, he also won at the same place, but faced tougher battles. This year he seemed comfortable from the practices, almost unchallenged during all four qualifying rounds (except round 3, where Daisuke beat him) and won all three finals. In short, Masami looked perfect with his SD car.

Atsushi
...did the best he could to be in 2nd place. Although quite consistent, Atsushi’s pace in qualifying were not close enough to attack Masami. The first qualifying round, he was 3rd then 8th, 5th, 6th and eventually qualified 6th overall. But Atsushi drove nicely in the finals.

Daisuke
...experienced the ‘usual’ JMRCA rollercoaster rides, as he was 10th in first qualifying, 20th, then jumped to the top in round 3, then 2nd. He was in form after winning the 12th racing category at the end of last month.

Shinnosuke Adachi
...failed to keep his pace in the earlier rounds (practices & qualifying). He was 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, then 4th and he was looking comfortable to give some challenges to his team mate, Masami.

Hideo Kitazawa
...the Futaba engineer, recently switched from Yokomo to Alex Racing Design (Barracuda). He was in the A Main in 2001, missed the top ten in 2002 and now finished in a respectable 5th position for Alex Racing Design.

Andreas Myrberg
...certainly impressed everyone by finishing 6th and his skill & speed were really impressive. It’s a good result for Team X Ray who participated in the JMRCA for the first time. Perhaps next year we could see more Team X Ray drivers participating in prestigious JMRCA Expert Class. Jilles Groskamp was there to help Andreas. I would not be surprised to find him in participant list next year. Team X Ray have traveled extensively world wide.

Yoshinari Maeda
...made his first appearance in the A Main and proved what he’s capable of. He recently switched from Team Atlas to HPI and looked stronger.

Kazuyoshi Fujita
...as probably the big surprise in the A Main, as the top ten is traditionally filled with factory drivers or at least some hobby shop family members who have access to manufacturers. Qualified 3rd behind a legend like Masami and a famous name like Daisuke was a huge achievement. Fujita had no sponsors whatsoever and used a “standard” Barracuda. The only advantage that he had was that Ichirino is his home track.

Masayuki Murai
...is a good long time driver with HPI and has always been in the top 10. Last year, he tussled with Masami and Atsushi in top three positions.

Kazuo Muramatsu
...was the only Tamiya driver in the top ten. He was consistently in the top 5 throughout the weekend, but had to much bad luck in the finals.

It’s party time for the Yokomo Team. But Team HPI never looked so strong before, as all of their top 4 HPI Japan Team members were in the top 10. So, they can mount a serious challenge next year.
Another winner of this weekend was Alex Racing Design, considering the fact that they are a much smaller company compared to the big boys. Having two of your cars in the top ten competing with the big boys is a real pleasure. Andreas and Team XRay should be proud of their achievement.

Not many people would leave Oguchi village with a big smile, though. The competition was so tight and you just need a small mistake or misfortune to be in a place where you would never image before. Just to take an example, Kiyokazu Suzuki (TRF) finished 7th last year and this year he only qualified 68th. It has happened before to many top drivers and it can happen to anyone.

Surikarn was one of the few people who had a turbulence weekend. He set a blistering speed during practices, trading lap times with Masami and posting 22 laps was not an issue, but had some bad luck during the crucial weekend. He crashed a slower car in the first round in day 1, posted a good 22 laps timer in round 2, but was later canceled due to the rain. The re-grouping in Day 2 made him go out in the first group when the track was still damp after the rain overnight. Thus he failed to post a good time.
Although he improved a lot as they day progressed, but it was only good enough to put him in 14th.
Surikarn won the B Main comfortably, but would not be pleased with this result.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:57 PM   #4193
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hey Joey! We racing carpet tomorrow?Anyone have a good setup for carpet on rubber tires?
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 06:02 PM   #4194
Tech Fanatic

I have one for a tight carpet track, but only in Johhno Class, that any help?
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 06:15 PM   #4195
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

that 540?Any help is appreciated.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 06:44 PM   #4196
Tech Fanatic

yeppas, 540 class it is, give me a sec and i'll post it, i haven't gone over the car to actually look at the setup, i just played with it until it worked lol

give me 2 min and i'll post it
Old 10-02-2003, 06:51 PM   #4197
Tech Fanatic

Ok, here we go. Anything that isn't mentioned is per the stock setup in the manual.

Tires: Proline 'K' Controls with tamiya Medium blue inserts
Body: Dodge Stratus 2.0

Gearing: 96/46

Front:

Ball Diff (One way baaaaaad lol)
Blue hard sway bar
Tamiya white hard springs
Outter most hole at top of tower
70wt Oil

Rear:

No sway bar
Eagle Racing Super Soft yellow springs (however, I think it is a little too soft, so I would suggest maybe the tamiya soft springs)
Shocks on the inner most hole on the top tower.
70wt Oil

Slight toe in at front, not sure exactly what it is, but close to the manual, the rest of the setup is all stock.

hope that helps,

matt
Old 10-02-2003, 07:46 PM   #4198

racenut...

...on my EVO, I been using white springs in front and yellows on the rear. Or you can use Assoc. reds up front. They feel about the same as the TAMIYA white ones, at least to me. CS 27's in front, CS 22's on the rear. Ride height about 3.5mm. Oneway(I know you will be using that cool looking one~!) 60wt oil all corners. Stratazz 2.0 body with the wing cut down some and raised about2mm from the post. I run this way all the time and gives Jaime a run for it~! Hahaha~!

I'll let you know how I am feeling by 12PM Friday. I still have to go to the hospital just to make sure I am all better. Been pretty sice all week after returning from TCS Nationals. Can't wait to go back home to Thailand~!
Old 10-02-2003, 07:47 PM   #4199

Racenut...

I forgot, yellow sway bars up front and reds on the rear. Shawn and Cathy might be racing too with thier new TA03 TRF Edition~!
Old 10-03-2003, 07:10 AM   #4200
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec
p.s. I heard somebody shot a video of the last main. I wonder if somebody could post it. It'll be interesting to see how nervous I was...you can see the car dart around down the straight because of HRS+Nerves=Swerving hehe
Hi rtypec

If your talking about the Japanese championship, then I think team orion has some videos of the 2 a-finals, on their site. If you can't find them, then I'll post them on my site. Just let me know.

Regards
SSL
SpineX-SSL is offline   Reply With Quote