Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TB-Evolution III >

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Old 09-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Where can we buy it?Please let me know if you know where.I am desperate now!

Originally posted by racenut123
I may have it in stock. let me check.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Hey hierog,

I got all my square parts from Niki's hobbys in HK, Msg me if you need his email address.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default Re: Tech Center shaft

Originally posted by tiggersz
I think this is what Rich Draper has.
Hmm, looks like it would work well, I'm guessing that bearing in there is for the front block between the steering posts...
Old 09-30-2003, 02:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

If the pinion gear stripping internally - please replace the driveshaft and the front gear box cover. Make sure the gear box cover can hold tightening the front one way. If not, it will causing the pinion gear can't fully press into the driveshaft and let it stripping internally. I hope my opinion can help all tb3 owner.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Tech Center shaft

Originally posted by Randman
Hmm, looks like it would work well, I'm guessing that bearing in there is for the front block between the steering posts...
Yes the bearing sits in the plastic block inbetween the steering posts. Rick
Old 09-30-2003, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

rick i fought you was getting an sd?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have a race back here Le Mans style this weekend first 200 laps finish wins. A little bit anxious joining with a stripping gear on this type of race. Darn it
Old 09-30-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Any word on where to buy the Tech shaft?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by racenut123
Any word on where to buy the Tech shaft?
R10 are all out and have no idea when they will be back in stock. Could be months before they make another batch...by that time the Evo4 will be out
Old 09-30-2003, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

rainbow ten
Old 09-30-2003, 09:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Re: Re: Where can we buy it?Please let me know if you know where.I am desperate now!

Originally posted by audiaudi
I may have it in stock. let me check.
Yes, Please let us know. I'm Intrested in the shaft too.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Rick Draper
The part number is EV0031 and if someone will resize the pics of my car then upload them people will be able to see it on my car. Rick
You got a PM
Old 09-30-2003, 09:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Tech Center shaft

Originally posted by Rick Draper
Yes the bearing sits in the plastic block inbetween the steering posts. Rick
Jason might be able to answer this, but does the Square "H" block have the same size hole cut into it to where the bearing could be put into it as well?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Gear Saver

Hey guys. I figured out the cheapest way to fix the stripping gear problem. Strengthening the gear! After 2 months of weekend racing and many crashes, the gear held up. This is not a Tamiya Legal part, but seems to hold up VERY well! I gave Penguin RC the Specs and made it the same day! The Disc is notched inside to match the gear's mold.

He will probably go in production on this part very soon I think it will go for about the $6-$10 range. I am not sure..it is really up to him.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: bulkhead or ring gear ?

Originally posted by Roger
Is it the drivetrain, bulkhead, or the front one-way ring gear that's causing the gear to strip due to impacts. I've seen numerous modifications on front one-ways fail. Have you ever thought that it's not the front one-way, but maybe the whole drive train system ?? True, its fast just like other shaft driven cars, but why is it just this car ? How come the TC3 or the yokomo SD don't have problems like the evo3 ?

Rog

The problem is with the way Tamiya made the center shaft system. All shaft drive cars need to have the shaft float so any slight misalignment between it and the gearboxes and any chassis flex won't make the whole drivetrain bind up. The difference between the Tamiya setup and the TC3/SD is that the others use a 3 piece shaft system. On the TC3/SD, the front and rear pinions are mounted on fixed stub shafts and the bearings are tight in the gearboxes. This allows for consistent, correct gear mesh between the ring and pinion gears. The center shaft being a big dogbone sitting in drive cups still floats.
Tamiya's setup is a single shaft and it floats by sliding in and out of the pinion gear (That's why racenut123's stripping the "D" out in the pinion) and the slop between the pinion bearings and the holes they sit in in the gearbox cases. The system floats by the slop.
If you wiggle the EVO 3 center shaft, you'll notice the front has more up/down, side/side play than the back because of the lack of the extra bearing that the rear (in the motormount) has. This makes the front gear mesh really inconsistent and poor. Add to the fact that the front uses a 1 way with no give (diff action) you'll strip gears. You can add a bearing in the front plastic support but I think Tamiya left it out so the drivetrain would be less likely to bind up ie. have more slop.
I don't know why Tamiya did this. Their nitro cars like the TGX is shaft driven yet has a 3 piece system just like the TC3/SD. Why did Tamiya go to a 1 piece drive shaft system on the EVO 3.

Now you, racenut123 and aurra sing know why I have not driven my EVO 3. I need to fix this first. I saw someone convert to a 3 piece system using SD parts or I was going to look into using the Tamiya nitro car's pieces but the Tech Racing 3 piece shaft kit looks good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.