R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-20-2003, 08:52 AM   #3961
Tech Regular

Default First impressions

I'm currenty building an EVO 3S. I just picked it up last night and have it 75% done allready. I'm really impressed on how fast this car assembles. But I do have some questioning thoughts on why and how Tamiya designed some of the car. So far I like it so don't get the wrong idea here.

-Servo doesn't mount flush with the chassis. I'll dig up some mounts that do. No biggie there.
-Why not run a bearing in the front mount behind the steering linkage? Won't that keep the main shaft from wobbling some? I'll put a bearing in it and try. Again no biggie.
- I don't like the gear mesh in both diff cases. I'll work on this and do the usual tricks that I used in my TC3. Maybe I just have to break them in.
-and why didn't they make the caster blocks and diff cases out of graphite also. Just kind of looks funny.

Like I said. So far I like the car and can't wait to put it on the track.
Downforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 01:07 PM   #3962
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...505#post515505
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 03:41 PM   #3963
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

are you guys using 48 pitch gears or 96 pitch? I personally have not tried the 48 pitch, but I might try since they have deeper teeth and seem to mesh a little better
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 06:39 PM   #3964
Tech Addict

Randman,

have you tested the Evo III with the drivetrain mod? how is it holding up so far?
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 07:19 PM   #3965
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I put one run on it so far with a Novak Brushless motor, this motor has more torque than just about anything out there, so it's good for the testing. I havent stripped the TC3 gears, although I stripped 2 of the stock gears in one day with a stock motor.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 09:20 PM   #3966
Tech Adept

Randy. I must congratulate you on your efforts on the tb3 to tc3 gear modifications. According to your description the modifications should't be too expensive. I'm pretty eager to try out. But I am still a bit half-hearted as it's a pretty major undertaking. Reaaly don't wanna be disappointed after all work. At least as you've described the right side diff bearing adapter has to be filed down or at least sacrificed for most practical purposes.

I have some experience with installing a metallic one-way gear. I think it was manufactured by a company called Product D or something. It doesn't need a graphite backing plate because it does't warp at all after the 4 screws are fastened. I then shimmed the front one-way. A 0.2mm on each side on the medial aspect (a medical term),of the bearings. hence a total of 0.4mm and the oneway was nicely fitted into the bulkhead slots.

With regards to the play of the pinion bearing on the bulkhead. I never used CA. I used nail polish. I used 3 layers. Each layer takes about 15 minutes to dry then you are ready for the next coating. Then you need to press pretty hard on the pinion bearing for it to go into its hole.

As per instruction on the metallic one-way gear package. I run the the system for about 30 minutes with a 540 motor on a low 3 volt for breaking in. Guess what. The pinion gear stripped after the second pack run on the track. I replace a new pinion gear and the new one stripped after a few more pack runs. I must admit that I did run onto the dots but there were no crashes.

It makes me think that the metallic material of the the one-way is to blame. It must have been too rigid. For this reason I'm waiting for more feedbacks on the one-way gear which V12 described before I try to order it from the German man.

Randy your description of using the tc3 gears to replace the tb3's is really worth a try. Maybe all the gears involved could only go as far as reinforced plastic but not metallic or else other plastic components in the system would fail.

Randy how many test runs have you done with the tc3 geas? Is the gearing still as smooth as new? I would want to hear from some other people who have made this modification and confess that even after some hard hits and crashes the gears are still smooth. Randy do you have to use a different size bearing in the right rear diff with this modification?
rcethilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 09:44 PM   #3967
Tech Prophet

Thanks for the compliments, but I only did some of the testing and the write up on the modification, rocketron is the guy that gave me the idea, and used them long before me.

I would never use a metal gear, for one, it's heavier than the stock gear, and two, it's much stronger than the pinion gear, and you saw what happened with that. I think the reason for using plastic is for the gears to give a little bit on impacts, unfortunately Tamiya just didn't beef their gear up enough to make it work.

I have only run once on the track with this setup, but it was a very hard day on the gears. I started off shimming them way too loose, and in turn messed up the teeth on the rear diff a little bit from the pinion slipping on them (didn't strip any, just rounded the edges) The torque from the BL motor is hell on the drivetrain, and since I had messed up on shimming, the gears werent in the best condition, so they were very loud on the track. Now that I have the shimming figured out, I'm going to get a new set of TC3 gears to install, and I should be set.

Just so you guys know how strong these gears are, during practice, there was a board hanging out on the straightaway off of the sweeper (I run extremely low on the sweeper) and I nailed it full throttle and close to full speed. The car stopped in it's track, but I was able to pull it around the track and take it off. The only thing that happened is where the driveshaft has it's flat spot to go into the pinion gear, it had completely rounded out the flat spot on the gear. No teeth missing, no chips off the teeth, nothing. Since I usually never see crashes like that, I dont think the car will get put to that abuse again. Nice thing about the car is I checked the tweak, and it was still perfectly flat
Old 09-21-2003, 09:11 AM   #3968
Tech Regular

rand man i love your mod. its amazing

I recently got upset, fell depressed and started doing drugs becasue i found out the evo 3 drive train design wasnt very good and ive been raceing an evo3 S

but then as i read your mod it seems amazing im going to try it out ASAP. just a few questions though.

1) apart from stopping the stripping, does it also add more efficientcy to the drive train? So it made your drive train freeer and also spin longer?

2) at the moment im running 2 diffs, is it worth doing the tc3 mod on these 2 diffs to add this efficientcy?

3) where did you get your ceramic bearings? do they spin much longer then the kit bearings? how is maintenence on them, do u still rebuild them the same way or just run them dry as they dont get very hot? how much

4) do you have msn messenger becasue i would love to chat to ya some time

thanks friend

Tarnjit
Evo_Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:24 AM   #3969
Tech Prophet

1) Yes it did actually make the drivetrain run smoother, a 27 count on free wheelspin is almost unheard of, but once the gears broke in, I was amazed.

2) The mod will work on 2 diffs, it will be smoother, and stronger, so I'd still recommend it.

3) I got the ceramic bearings from acerracing.com, I believe they cost me $130 for the set, but I also got some synthetic bearing oil (which really didn't work that great, I still use Royal Oil) For maintenence, I blow them out with motor spray after 2 racedays, and re oil them. Havent broken any of them as of yet, they are very well made.

4) No MSN messenger, but I do have AIM.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:28 AM   #3970
Tech Regular

Also

Evo 3 S rules everyone!!!

( if you never new )

at the moment im running it just how it is straight out the box exept with different gearing, caster links, different springs, my own setup and a diff in the front aswell.

im thinking of getting a few hop ups as im a contender for the number 1 spot at my local clubs winter series i gotta win!

so far im thinking motor mount heat sink and heat sink upper mount to keep the motor nice, change the spur to an rw spur.
maybe aliminium gear cases or knuckles.

ive also order an S9550 to give me some room

not sure

what do you guys recommend?

Ceramic bearings sounds amazinlgy cool im really tempted, i need a new bearing kit so ill get some kit ones, but i think a ceramic bearing set will make a nice birthday present

cheers
Old 09-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #3971
Tech Prophet

I'm trying to steer clear of a lot of that aluminum stuff on the car, it's pretty stiff and very durable as it is, and plastic is lighter than aluminum
Old 09-21-2003, 09:39 AM   #3972
Tech Regular

YEAH BUT PLASTICS NOT RED !!!

naa its not the only reason, next year i plan to do alot of national racing here in the UK, last time i checked my car was 64g under weight, so i think some weight on it could be good aswell

what servo do you use?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:27 AM   #3973
Tech Prophet

I use the S9451, but may get a S9550 for when I run a normal ESC.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:29 AM   #3974
Tech Regular

sweet

is it true the evo3 is going to start getting full backing from tamiya now aswell, becasue of the release of the full interchangeable tb02?
i know theya re starting to release the full diff sets now.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:57 AM   #3975
Tech Prophet

I havent heard of that, but then again I'm pretty new to the Tamiya gang.