Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Are you thinking about doing some racing out of town Mike?
I wouldn't mind. I need to get some stuff before I do though.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

-I think for stock this setup is so hooked it probably needs the roll centers raised to loosen it up.

I think if thats the case you would need to look elsewere as far as setup goes rather then resort to raising roll centers to free up the car a bit.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Racenut, I'll refrain from smartazz comments for now, at least until I hear your suggestions to loosen the car up starting with the best to the worst.

I have one thought for you before you respond- When racing on carpet with foam tires, and you have way too much traction on one end of the car or the other, or even overall, what do most "national level" to pro level drivers do first to loosen a car up after the obvious things like swaybars and springing up don't work?
Old 09-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default didnt mean to come off like a smart azz.

But since you took offense,obviously I will will refrain from commenting anymore.Looking at your setup,I thought a couple of changes would be in order before you raise the rear roll center.
I am just going by what a reputable Tamiya Factory driver here in our area said of the Evo3.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Regarding Big Dogs' avitar........Jeez Jason..why is your hose so limp!!!!??? LOL
On a not so important note....what is this one way secret Randman mentioned and is it the one you mentioned earlier that didn't work the way you wanted it to??
Does any body out there use or prefer 48 pitch spur with the Evo3?? Any downside??? I had a problem with proper mesh during my last race outing and thought I might try 48p next time???

Last edited by Evoracer; 09-07-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Evoracer
Regarding Big Dogs' avitar........Jeez Jason..why is your hose so limp!!!!???
On a not so important note....what is this one way secret Randman mentioned and is it the one you mentioned earlier that didn't work the way you wanted it to??
Does any body out there use or prefer 48 pitch spur with the Evo3?? Any downside??? I had a problem with proper mesh during my last race outing and thought I might try 48p next time???
I only use 48DP spurs and pinions on my Evo III. The only drawback I can see is that you can't make fine adjustment to your roll out like you can with 64DP or Tamiya 04 Module.

Steevo
Old 09-07-2003, 07:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by racer
Randman,

is this what your looking for?

One way shim trick
Awesome, I'll be sure to shim mine until I get it right. Luckily I have some 10mm and 5mm shims left over from my R2 so I can get it done right
Old 09-07-2003, 07:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Regarding Big Dogs' avitar........Jeez Jason..why is your hose so limp!!!!??? LOL
Get a good quality and perfectly round 64 pitch gear and you should be fine. I have been using Kawada 64 pitch gears and have been really happy with them.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try close the hold on the chassis underneath the spur with tapes....
it may not really the preblem of the spur.. I m using tamiya spur and pinion..
Old 09-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Racenut- I didn't really take offense, I was just busting your ballz- . Actually, I come from drag racing and 1:1 car racing so even though I don't drive as well as I wish I could, I know a little about suspension tuning. To be honest I was ready to eat crow if you did produce some good ideas for freeing the car up without changing roll centers. With that said, please feel free to offer any suggestions if you have them. Sorry I barked too loud...

Roll centers- one of the reasons for trying to free a car up with roll centers instead of excessive over springing is because lowering the roll center won't make the car break loose violently when it does break loose. Not to mention that the track had a few sealed cracks and the cars need some amount of suspension to navigate smoothly through those rough sections. I could have gone down on springs and let the car roll over a little more, which means decreasing the contact patch of the tire by letting it get on the outer edge more, but the tires had a perfect wear pattern in the center and weren't wearing at all, which means I wasn't scrubbing or sliding the tires- front or rear!! sweeeeeeet

Dino- yea when you put out as many "fires" as I do, your hose stays pretty limp...

The oneway "secret"...lol... first of all, you need to shim the oneway with approximately .3mm shims on the driver's side of the oneway witht he Tamiya 10mm shimset. Now the fix- I used some thin metal to make a ring or sleeve that fits over the pinion bearing to make it a tension fit into the transmission case bearing seat. That stopped the "floating" action of the pinion bearing. My intention was to stop the pinion from deflecting on a heavy load away from the ring gear. It didn't stop the stripping... totally. I ended up shimming it back to the .3mm.

Spur gears- Fernando told me that the spur gears that comes with the Surikarn car aren't those stupid metric pitch gears anymore, so I tried the 96 tooth with my standard 64 pitch Ti racing pinions, and he must have been right! They are perectly smooth and quiet!! I couldn't believe it. And they hardly wear at all. They are actually some of the best spur gears I've ever run.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The oneway "secret"...lol... first of all, you need to shim the oneway with approximately .3mm shims on the driver's side of the oneway witht he Tamiya 10mm shimset. Now the fix- I used some thin metal to make a ring or sleeve that fits over the pinion bearing to make it a tension fit into the transmission case bearing seat. That stopped the "floating" action of the pinion bearing. My intention was to stop the pinion from deflecting on a heavy load away from the ring gear. It didn't stop the stripping... totally. I ended up shimming it back to the .3mm.
I'm gonna have to read that a couple times and let it obsorb, maybe I should break out the instruction manual and figure out what all you're talking about, because I have no idea what the pinion bearing is
Old 09-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Its the bearing that sits behind the front bevel gear on the end of the prop shaft... I think...
Old 09-07-2003, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Randy a shaftdrive car's transmissions contain a ring and pinion differential. The pinion gear is driven by the shaft and the ring gear drives the outdrives. I know the use of the term pinion gear is confusing you with the motor pinion gear, but that's what it's called. Sorry you were confused.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

ok, I got it now, I've never heard it called the ring and pinion gears... I know them as the imput gear, and diff gear
Old 09-08-2003, 04:39 AM
Tech Adept

A question for P2 and one for V12.

P2, how sure is that 'Tamiya guy' that the rear diff gear material is of a harder carbon material? I am not trying to challege you, trust me. I'm just overtly curious. I have made the reaming of the rear diff gear so that now it fits the front oneway. I have yet to try it on the track. My impression on reaming the rear diff gear is that if the material is really harder than the front oneway gear, the difference is pretty subtle. The material of the rear diff gear and the front oneway gear look (lustre) pretty similar and they both warp to the same extent if you bend them. I will be very amazed if by doing exactly what you described, I won't strip another front oneway gear at the track.

V12, if the front oneway gear is now on the side of the motor ( opposite the side of the battery pack) as you've described, do you have to reverse the polarity connection of the motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.