R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2003, 09:11 AM   #3526
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by trf racer
i didnt think to superglue the edges.thanx.
anybody else sudjest anything else to stop this.
Do a really good job of sanding/filing the edges so that they are smooth and then put on a liberal coat of superglue. After a few months of running, check the edges again and refinish as necessary. It'll save your batteries in the long run.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:13 AM   #3527
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

@ Evoracer

No problem. The reversed position of the onewaygear now is the same as itīs with the TC3, Yok SD, Barracuda and usually all other cars.
Whatīs the difference? Look at the original EVO3 oneway. Any force towards the gear will try to force the gear away from the mountingplate. As the gear is very thin and not very hard the gear will warp and strip.
Now the TC3-style oneway. Any force towards the gear will force the gear towards the mountingplate. This position is stronger.

With the special oneway this mountingplate is almost as large as the gear so itīs similar to a much thicker gear and therefore even stronger.
Another difference: the Tamiya oneway housing uses a smaller diameter than the inner diameter of the onewaygear. With this the gear is not centered on the oneway what is as bad as the false mountingposition. If the onewaygear is not centered you will feel a bad spot when youīre turning the transmission even with a new gear.
The special oneway uses a larger diameter and a conical housing so the gear will be centered automatically.

I know there are only a small number of the oneways available currently but anybody interested should send me a PM. I then will send the emailaddress of the guy making these oneways.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 02:29 PM   #3528
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

@ all interested in the special oneway. I got your PM and all of you will get an answer. I did send a message to the guy whoīs making the oneway and Iīm just waiting for an answer. I donīt know if heīs back from the nationals again so maybe we have to wait a little.

One thing I have to say. This guy is not a teammate from me nor do I sell his oneways. I just know he makes some good products for a good price. I bought a oneway for the TC3 from him some time ago and it seems to last forever. He makes oneways for different cars now and a very light but strong driveshaft for the TC3. I think his oneway is one of the best option parts I bought for the EVO3 now so I think itīs a good idea showing it to other EVO3 drivers as I got very helpful informations here also from other drivers.
There is no website and no other informations than that I posted here. The oneways and other stuff is made in small numbers when he has some spare time.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:56 PM   #3529
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

OK...dumb question time !!! while I had the front diff case apart, I took the one way and turned it around and noticed something. Assuming the rear diff remains the same...the rotation of the driveshaft and front pinion gear is counter-clockwise. If thats the case and you mount the front diff with the ring gear on the opposite side...the ring gear rotates toward the rear of the car. In other words..the rear diff is rotating forward but the front diff will rotate backwards!!! What am I missing here !!???
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 04:14 PM   #3530
Tech Fanatic

The bolts now do into the ring gear from the other side, so you have a solid bit of ally and then the ring gear then the bolts instead of bolts, carbon ring gear, ally. Look at the pics its so easy to see! Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 04:38 PM   #3531
Tech Elite

So with the diff mounted in the car and looking at it dead on the nose...the ring gear is still in the same position as always relative to the pinion??
Old 09-01-2003, 04:55 PM   #3532
Tech Elite

Just call me a dufus....somehow I got the idea that this new one way would have the ring gear meshing with the pinion gear on the left hand side of the pinion rather than the right side(as you look at it from the front). SORRY !!!!
My one way has the Cross metal reinforcing ring on it,but I can see how having this new reinforcement would be much better.Primarily because it is part of the housing.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:27 PM   #3533
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Dumb question??

Does Tamiya sell optional caster blocks for the EV03s?? And how much caster does the kit come with intially?

Thanks
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:02 PM   #3534
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Gear Support

Quote:
Originally posted by Steevo
There should be no secrets amoung friends. I am sure everyone here would swear not to tell a sole...Scouts Honour, Cross our hearts and hope to die.......

Steevo
OK here is a tip that has worked for me for many months. The material of the rear diff and front one-way gear are different. The rear diff is made of a more durable carbon reinforced material like the TC3's, the front one-way gear is made of softer/flexible plastic. A Tamiya guy here in Japan told me he uses a modified gear in the front. All you have to do is taper ream/dremel the center hole of a rear diff gear so that it will fit the front one-way. You also have to drill two holes so that you can use the four little screws. The gear will take some work getting it perfectly centered. You have to spin the one-way by hand to see if the gear is centered. Once it is dead on straight just tighten all the screws, you must have the carbon gear support!

Note: The 2 holes you drill out will not be perfect, you should however make sure to drill them out so that they take the force of the torque. This will keep the gear from moving out of position.

I will post pics later .....hope this helps my EVO brothers!!!

Paul Paras
P2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:19 PM   #3535
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear Support

Quote:
Originally posted by P2
OK here is a tip that has worked for me for many months. The material of the rear diff and front one-way gear are different. The rear diff is made of a more durable carbon reinforced material like the TC3's, the front one-way gear is made of softer/flexible plastic. A Tamiya guy here in Japan told me he uses a modified gear in the front. All you have to do is taper ream/dremel the center hole of a rear diff gear so that it will fit the front one-way. You also have to drill two holes so that you can use the four little screws. The gear will take some work getting it perfectly centered. You have to spin the one-way by hand to see if the gear is centered. Once it is dead on straight just tighten all the screws, you must have the carbon gear support!

Note: The 2 holes you drill out will not be perfect, you should however make sure to drill them out so that they take the force of the torque. This will keep the gear from moving out of position.

I will post pics later .....hope this helps my EVO brothers!!!

Paul Paras
OK....Here is a pic of the modified rear diff gear...it looks kind of ghetto but it works. I haven't stripped one out yet. I just change them out just to be sure. This one was used for over a month of racing. BTW I do crash on occasion, EJ can vouch for that!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0139.jpg (32.5 KB, 182 views)
P2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:44 PM   #3536
Tech Fanatic

P2 You are the King. Thanks for the Insight into your solution to the One Way problem. I'll will definately give that a go..

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:55 PM   #3537
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
OK...dumb question time !!! while I had the front diff case apart, I took the one way and turned it around and noticed something. Assuming the rear diff remains the same...the rotation of the driveshaft and front pinion gear is counter-clockwise. If thats the case and you mount the front diff with the ring gear on the opposite side...the ring gear rotates toward the rear of the car. In other words..the rear diff is rotating forward but the front diff will rotate backwards!!! What am I missing here !!???
simple - Your car will be 2WD only... the front one way freewheels.
Then when you *reverse*... your entire drivetrain gets locked up.

Yes the diffs can go in either ways. Yes you can flip both and
have your centre shaft & motor running in 'wrong' directions.
But if you flip only one diff, you'll get into that tragic lock.

Same problem existed on most 1/8 buggies, especially the
first Kyosho Inferno. Lots of newbies just wondering why
their engine is revving but the buggy goes nowhere!
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:05 PM   #3538
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Steevo
P2 You are the King. Thanks for the Insight into your solution to the One Way problem. I'll will definately give that a go..

Steevo
Steevo & folks:- some have tried using balldiff gear on the front.
Its easier to know how much & where to cut if you use a 1-way
gear as your template - back2back them and bolt them together
temporarily when you are cutting.

However uncertain that a 'stronger' gear will solve issue 100%.
(this was more when one couldn't get more spare gears??)
Doubt if a 100% solution is as simple as that.

That said, with the gear ring and the screws torqued correctly,
have yet to demolish any 1way gears in my cars to date.
Maybe I'm not hitting stuff hard enough??
Right-o, better lend it to some newbies...
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:43 PM   #3539
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

well, i only ran the oneway for about 2 weeks, til my extra diff parts came in. i have ran that diff in the front every weekend for about 6 months now, mostly stock, but several runs with Kr 10 single (!), and still have never stripped a gear. it might be cause of the material in the gear, or that it could have a little give on an impact that a oneway doesnt... and trust me, i do hit a few things! BTW, anyone know a good setup for Trackside in Wisconsin? me and a bunch of guys are planning for the Novak race there in January. thanks!!

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:00 AM   #3540
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Anybody...

Dumb question??

Does Tamiya sell optional caster blocks for the EV03s?? And how much caster does the kit come with intially?

Thanks
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote