Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Am I the only one that knocks the points off the ring gear teeth on the oneway every time I even get near a darn pipe? I'm getting sick of this brittle car! I'm sorry, but I guess I should step down to a car that is a littl emore durable until I can learn to drive a perfect race every round and never brush any pipes. The only problem is, even then I have to run alone bevause if someone else is racing with me, they might barely touch my car and break it...

Seriously... this is getting old. I tried the TC3 ring gears, but now the rear diff is weird and crap. and I can feel the tooth mesh also, so I know something isn't right. This car was just too expensive to have to go through this after every run.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Am I the only one that knocks the points off the ring gear teeth on the oneway every time I even get near a darn pipe? I'm getting sick of this brittle car! I'm sorry, but I guess I should step down to a car that is a littl emore durable until I can learn to drive a perfect race every round and never brush any pipes. The only problem is, even then I have to run alone bevause if someone else is racing with me, they might barely touch my car and break it...

Seriously... this is getting old. I tried the TC3 ring gears, but now the rear diff is weird and crap. and I can feel the tooth mesh also, so I know something isn't right. This car was just too expensive to have to go through this after every run.
i feel your pain bigdog, i too am getting a little tried of the mataince this car needs ALL the time to keep it going good.
have you tried using a front diff?
Old 08-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
I have to disagree with you on the durability issue of this car. I am a neewbie racer, and I only had 2 practice runs with this car after the build and prior to racing. I Raced my first race ever yesterday. Took it all the way to the A-main with the front one-way installed. I took a few hits, gave a few hits and even rubbed pipes like you. I have to say that my car is bullet proof. Not 1 broken part.
Sorry to hear that you have had bad luck with it, but the car seems to be pretty strong and dialed to me. Make sure you have it set-up right.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-Evolution III-dsc01542.jpg  
Old 08-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm not saying that ist can't break, but its a great car and a lot better than some of the comp out there. Don't go from bad[meaning good] to worst. Work with it.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-Evolution III-dsc01536.jpg  
Old 08-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Dose this car have the same problems with the front dif gear stripping Like the first evo 3 ?
Old 08-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Mine was the Rear Diff Assemby

Originally posted by NMRCDude
Well...

Ive got some good news/bad news.

Good News - I fixed the one-way clicking problem

Bad News- The rear diff is now creating a clicking noise due to some bad gear mesh at 1 certain point

Good News- I can easily fix that with another rebuild.

Good News- Through all my working on this one problem, My drivetrain is now free as can be. 1 spin of the tires and i get around 17 seconds total. Not bad!

Thanks to all that contributed info, its greatly apprectiated!
I've been following this thread cos I had the same problem you did after first build.

The binding and clicking problem (mine was from the rear diff) was because during assembly of the diff, the Diff plate was not aligned (there is a notch) with the diff joint. I made this mistake because I was assembling it exactly as the instructions indicated, so did not care to align the second diff plate.

Just thought I'd share this rookie mistake I made with my EVO3SE.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by mugenracer
Dose this car have the same problems with the front dif gear stripping Like the first evo 3 ?
There is pretty much nothing you can do to fix it short of replacing the gears with ones that are stronger (ie. TC3 gears) or running full diffs.

Most people who run the Evo3 accept the fact that you will have to replace the gears since it is considered a disposable item. I usually go through 1 or 2 a race day so I usually stock up on gears.

The gears are weak but when they are not stripped the car is about the smoothest shaft drive car you can get your hands on.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by itchynads
[The gears are weak but when they are not stripped the car is about the smoothest shaft drive car you can get your hands on. [/B]
Aye that, Im running as quiet as the XXX-S's.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

how do you get it so quiet?
my driveline is free at the moment, but you can still hear my car is louder than the belt drive cars.

itchynads - how is the EVO compared to your R2? i'm thinking of getting one, you have both don't you? any info you could give me comparing the two would be greatly apprecated.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by GTMilenko
how do you get it so quiet?
my driveline is free at the moment, but you can still hear my car is louder than the belt drive cars.

itchynads - how is the EVO compared to your R2? i'm thinking of getting one, you have both don't you? any info you could give me comparing the two would be greatly apprecated.
The R2 is the TOUGHEST car I have ever owned. Its not as efficient as an Evo3 due to the heavier gears but its built to take some punishment. Its also pretty good at dishing it out if you ever find the need to

The R2 gears won't break easily. I have rammed a concrete barriers face on with an 8t motor and the gears were still intact as was the rest of the car. The car will tweak but nothing would break.

The Evo does have an advantage in terms of maintainence as it is easy to get to the diffs.

I do however find myself driving better with the Evo since I know I have to be careful or I will strip the gear. The Evo also seems to carry a tad more corner speed.

Read the 'cuda thread if you want a more indepth look at its good and bad points.

I tend to drive both cars equally and alternate between them each week.

Both cars have their pro's and cons.

Although lately I'm thinking of adding a belt car to my collection but that is a story for another time
Old 08-03-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

thanks icthy! that was a pretty good run down on the 2 cars.
i run my evo in stock but i want a car so i can race mod as well, the R2 looks like in might be the one for the job.
i'll either do it that way or i'll get a corally assasin run that it stock and step my evo up to mod. thanks for the help.
btw i have been reading the R2 thread lately, i think i'll pop over there now and ask a few questions.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:21 AM
Tech Addict

Default Mod racing

Ive got a surikarn evo 3 running a novak brushless in mod and have had no trouble with the gears but i have had trouble bending uni`s and the pins coming out.Anyone else had the same trouble other than that i love the car very fast.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Mod racing

Originally posted by Why Try?
Ive got a surikarn evo 3 running a novak brushless in mod and have had no trouble with the gears but i have had trouble bending uni`s and the pins coming out.Anyone else had the same trouble other than that i love the car very fast.
With the pins coming out, have you used loctite on the grub screw that holds the pin? That should stop the pins coming out.

Tony
Old 08-04-2003, 01:33 AM
Tech Regular

yep the pins on my uni's have come out twice on me, once in the front , once in the back(had to finish the race in 3 wheel drive and no brakes)
i just make sure i always check they are in tight now.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:45 AM
Tech Addict

Tried the locktight didnt hold, In the end i filed a flat spot on the pins for the grub screw to lock on to,Seems to have fixed the problem.Thanks for the reply guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.