R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-24-2003, 09:21 AM   #3031
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Jesse- just run the black ones until the white ones come out. They don't have them at Tamiya USA yet, but shouldn't be long.
Yes the balck or white outdrives are fine for a diff but I don't think they'll stand up to the pressures when used as a spool.

As far as the resistance goes for the guy a couple of post above, I had the same problem, here's what I found. After building my brand new evo3 I could rotate the drivetrain over about 315 degrees and the drivetrain would come to a rough spot due to something binding so I got to looking. I thought it would be a ring gear or either the ring gear bearings in the bulkheads since they kinda just flop in their, neither was the problem. Next I took the whole rear bulkhead off the car leaving the shaft in the front and sure enough the problem was still there. Now I told myself well hell, the car is new and the rough spot isn't all that rough I think I'll just leave it...maybe after awhile it'll go away(I haven't driven it yet). Well I ended up finding the problem and it's an easy fix, the problem lied in the case that seals the bulkhead, it turned out that if I loosened them 2 screws the problem would go away so I swap cases front and rear and now with all the screws tight my drivetrain is superfree. Somehow those screws or the cases are distorting the bulkhead where the outdrive bearings sit, just need to play around with it to fix it. I beleive moshmike did some work on his bulkheads, not real sure though.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 11:55 AM   #3032
Tech Initiate

I had the same problem with the drivetrain me as well. I've done exactly like the you, i.e. swaping the front and rear case that close the bulkheads and the problem is fixed

What are you gearing for a 21T motor? What is the best speed controller in your opinion? Anyone using the LRP V7.1?
Raikonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:22 PM   #3033
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Raikonnen, I've never run a 21T motor but I would probally gear it as I would a 19T spec motor. Try somewhere around 6.5-7. As far as what I think is the best speedo, I really can't say what is the best but I do like my novak GT7 as I can get away with running a very, very low drive frequency for my stock motors plus it has multiple profiles for mod as well. The last LRP speedo I owned was a v7.1 and I really never did like it as it was dedicated for modified racing only. The new LRP quantum looks nice, I beleive you can run either stock or mod with it.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:13 AM   #3034
Tech Initiate

In what way will the drive frequency of a speed controller effect the running of stock motors?
Raikonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:04 AM   #3035
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Raikonnen
In what way will the drive frequency of a speed controller effect the running of stock motors?
Usually, low freqs offer more "punch", whilst high freqs is smoother drive and supposedly more efficient.
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:14 PM   #3036
Tech Fanatic

Default resounding joy

hey everyone.

you may remember me from my 'sad times' post, I was having major trouble with my evo 3. Well last night was do or die for the EVo 3, after desperately putting the WHOLE car back together within 20mins, I shot off to the track.

My god.

After taking everyone's advice I working on a rollout out of around 39mm (which i might add is 6mm higher than anyone racing at my track that know of). I could almost drift the car around the whole track. Not only did I post faster time for my class, but I was inside the masters class (level above, they run sports tuned vs. our stock johnno) fastest laps.

THE EVO LIVES ON!

speed was awesome and i know i can pull more out of it next race meet. Only worry now is controlling the damn thing, anyone got any working setups they'd like to share for carper in tersm of springs etc??

matt
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 03:33 AM   #3037
Tech Fanatic

do short springs make a difference? and same with aluminium damper retainers..do they?

the white diff joints are different from what i expected! i thought they were just "reinforced and white" but it looks like they are harder and more durable..gotta try it out to see! what hav u guys done to lose weight on ur evo's? mine is 1600 race ready
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 04:51 AM   #3038
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by davioh
do short springs make a difference? and same with aluminium damper retainers..do they?

the white diff joints are different from what i expected! i thought they were just "reinforced and white" but it looks like they are harder and more durable..gotta try it out to see! what hav u guys done to lose weight on ur evo's? mine is 1600 race ready
mine was only 1450, i got sick of having to find places to put weights(we have a minium weight rule of 1500), so i got the square gearbox's(blue ones) , they are beautiful!
anyway i need some help guys i can't seem to get much steering out of my evo, maybe someone could help me? heres my setup(everything in the front/rear format)

shocks = yellow/blue
swaybars= none/blue
shock oil = 35wt/35wt
shock pistions= 3hole/2hole
wheelbase=stardard
toe=5degrees toe out/ 1.5degrees toe in
castor= 2mm spacer under front sus block/ standard
diffs= one-way/ loose
shock positons= center hole/ 2nd hole in
ride height= 6mm/7mm
droop=i'd have to check but its around about the same as the rear/ all the way out

we run on very tight tracks so i need plenty of steering.
this seems like a very extreme off power steering setup to me, is there any thing in there that i'm doing majorly wrong?
btw i'm not just going into corners to fast.
thanls all
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 05:08 AM   #3039
Tech Fanatic

wahh! 1450?? is that with the body? by race ready i mean everything sept transponder...our races and stuff also has the 1500 rule...with a transponder i managed to get perfect left and right balance!
Old 07-26-2003, 05:09 AM   #3040
Tech Fanatic

oh GT what batts do you use? GP's are heavier than sanyo's by 50g as i measured
Old 07-26-2003, 08:37 AM   #3041
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by GTMilenko
mine was only 1450, i got sick of having to find places to put weights(we have a minium weight rule of 1500), so i got the square gearbox's(blue ones) , they are beautiful!
Now this I have to see.... a Evo "with" the Square Gear box`s and comes in at 1500 ish??...my buddy has only the front one and the Square 3mm chassis and he can hardly get near 1520 with electronics and thats with Panasonic 3000 UMH`s
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 08:44 AM   #3042
Tech Fanatic

well JDM, an extra .5mm means 1/5 extra to the original weight compared to the original evo 2.5mm. that might be another reason why i can't get anywhere close to 1500!
Old 07-26-2003, 10:08 AM   #3043
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to NMRCDude

Hey,

You guys have any trouble with the servo mounts? I purchased a low profile servo the other day, and the thing would not fit between the two mounts! The case was too big! I ended up mounting it to one of the mounts and laying a strip of double-stick tape for the rest. Seems to work.
NMRCDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:08 AM   #3044
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey GTmilenko... try the new protoform alfa 2.0, its got LOTS of steering... more than the stratus 2.0 ....lots more than the volvo s60. I was doing some testing at my track by just changing the body and WOW... for a technical track that alfa would really rock!
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:21 AM   #3045
Tech Regular

Default Not so free drivetrain.

After running with a oneway fitted since i built the car i need to use a ball diff up front due to track conditions but found the drivetrain would not spin freely like before. Thinking i must have a damaged gear some place i replaced the lot with new items but still no better. The drivetrain seems to bind slightly ever second or so turn without the pinion fitted and my lap times are being effected as a result.

Any ideas ??