R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2003, 06:07 AM   #2986
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
Posts: 30
Default

Another 2 small matters ...

1. Is it normal that the spur gear (& the stuff attached to it) can move slightly forwards and backwards on the main shaft?

2. Is it normal that the steering system is free to move up and can even touch the main shaft?

Thanks, and sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I am building it the right way !
Raikonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:14 AM   #2987
Tech Fanatic
 
davioh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: hong kong
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by GTMilenko
just wondering whats the theory behind this "toothpaste trick"?
i'm sure it works but how exactly?
what is it?!
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:18 AM   #2988
Tech Fanatic
 
davioh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: hong kong
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Raikonnen
Another 2 small matters ...

1. Is it normal that the spur gear (& the stuff attached to it) can move slightly forwards and backwards on the main shaft?

2. Is it normal that the steering system is free to move up and can even touch the main shaft?

Thanks, and sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I am building it the right way !
for mine it's yes for both...unless mine isn't normal
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:21 AM   #2989
Tech Elite
 
rtypec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,969
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

1. Is it normal that the spur gear (& the stuff attached to it) can move slightly forwards and backwards on the main shaft?

Yes, some movement is normal. Some have experienced a snug fit while others have a little slop.

2. Is it normal that the steering system is free to move up and can even touch the main shaft?

No, make sure you install both A6 parts (plastic spacers) on top of the steering posts before you put the top deck on.

I hope this helps.

p.s. I've given up on "breaking in" my gears with toothpaste a long time ago. If you just take your time in the build/rebuild and lube the gears with whitelightning, clean/replace your bearings (blow out grease and relube with light oil if the bearings are new), your drivetrain should be free.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 08:04 AM   #2990
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Somewhere on earth
Posts: 927
Default

Quote:
p.s. I've given up on "breaking in" my gears with toothpaste a long time ago. If you just take your time in the build/rebuild and lube the gears with whitelightning, clean/replace your bearings (blow out grease and relube with light oil if the bearings are new), your drivetrain should be free.
RTYPEC, do you have a Surikarn edition? If not then you do not realise how critical it is to break in the gears on it with toothpaste, i built my Surikarn edition evo 3 the same as i did my normal evo 3 (that was very free when i first built it) and there was a big tight spot in the drivetrain. I then covered the front and rear gears with toothpaste and ran the car on the bench for 20 min with a old johnson 540 on 4 cells. Then i pulled the gears out of the gearbox's, cleaned them up, covered the gears in GT40 and put them back together and now the drivetrain is very free. Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 08:42 AM   #2991
Tech Fanatic
 
davioh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: hong kong
Posts: 778
Default

what extacly do you guys mean by breaking in? cuz my drive train isn't really really smooth
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 03:32 PM   #2992
Tech Regular
 
GTMilenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand
Posts: 355
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
RTYPEC, do you have a Surikarn edition? If not then you do not realise how critical it is to break in the gears on it with toothpaste, i built my Surikarn edition evo 3 the same as i did my normal evo 3 (that was very free when i first built it) and there was a big tight spot in the drivetrain. I then covered the front and rear gears with toothpaste and ran the car on the bench for 20 min with a old johnson 540 on 4 cells. Then i pulled the gears out of the gearbox's, cleaned them up, covered the gears in GT40 and put them back together and now the drivetrain is very free. Rick
are you sure it was the toothpaste? maybe it was just the fact that you ran it in for 20mins that free'd it up? i meen what can toothpaste do? seems crazy to me. whats the theory?
i'm not about to try it because my driveline is super free anyhow but i'd like to know why and how it works? if you don't mind sharing, thanks
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 04:04 PM   #2993
Tech Master
 
Leester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wrong Planet
Posts: 1,010
Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default TCS EVO III asphalt setup

Hi guys!

I would like to find out what a good Evo III TCS setup for asphalt would be for the following setups


Shock Oil (front and rear)

Droop

Kick up

anti squat

wheel base

shock mounting postion top and bottom

sway bars

tires and inserts (Tamiya only tires) But any insert from any manufacture is fine

camber

caster

gearing (for a 14 turn mod)

toe in (front and rear)

ride height

roll center (camber link positions)

Thank you for responding
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:03 PM   #2994
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,100
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by GTMilenko
are you sure it was the toothpaste? maybe it was just the fact that you ran it in for 20mins that free'd it up? i meen what can toothpaste do? seems crazy to me. whats the theory?
i'm not about to try it because my driveline is super free anyhow but i'd like to know why and how it works? if you don't mind sharing, thanks
The tooth past trick only did a little bit, but it's helps. Toothpaste has gritty stuff in it so when you brush your teeth it polishes the yucky stuff off your teeth. When you put it on the gears and run it for about 1 hour on a old mabuchi or johnson silver can at 4 vlts it polishes the gears and wears them down a tad, so they free up a bit. Difuser is one of the top 5 best racers I know right now and him and peter have had alot of time on the evo 3 before they switched to yokomo. So I trust that they know what they are doing. Difuser was the one who told me about the toothpaste trick and it works. It gets the fine imperfections out of the gears. It doesn't get the big burs or anything out though. Try it after you get all the burs and big bid notchyness out of the gears. I also clean the bearings otu and put some light oil in and that helped alot. After I ran with him today at a local track my drivetrain is even freer after everything seated together and broke in more. Hope this helps a little bit.

-Sushi Boy
__________________
Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - Sweep - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:39 PM   #2995
Tech Adept
 
Fangio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 137
Default

Rick, Rtypec is right. You do not need toothpaste on your gears. After running the drive train for about half a pack it won't make toothpaste or no toothpaste it will not matter. At the Reedy Race of Champions the TRF team was constantly rebuilding gear boxes and not once did they break out toothpaste.
Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:42 AM   #2996
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Somewhere on earth
Posts: 927
Default

Quote:
At the Reedy Race of Champions the TRF team was constantly rebuilding gear boxes and not once did they break out toothpaste.
But do you know if they are using the same sort of gears as come as STD in the kit? I know for a fact they .................................. Rick

Last edited by Rick Draper; 07-20-2003 at 03:38 AM.
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:54 AM   #2997
V12
Tech Elite
 
V12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The TRF-Team drivers are using gearboxes made from same plastic as the reinforced suspension arms. But as I have heard from teamdrivers itīs not easy making the gearboxes using this plastic so only very few gearboxes are really OK after molding. So these gearboxes will not go into production for the public. As it seems to me there is no other way than buying Square gearboxes. I just have ordered some and I hope Iīll get them this week.

Regarding gears I never heard anything different than the kit ones but maybe itīs the same as with the gearboxes.
But there is an aluminium onewaygear available in Japan/HK. Unfortunately itīs very expensive and hard to get.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 03:41 AM   #2998
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Somewhere on earth
Posts: 927
Default

I have seen some Red plastic bevel gears floating round! Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 04:32 AM   #2999
Tech Elite
 
VenomWorldOrder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: www.RCunderground.net
Posts: 4,063
Default

are the gears on the tb evo3 surikarn available in derlin? what about the crown gears?
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 05:25 AM   #3000
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
Posts: 30
Default

What are some of the best electronic speed controllers on the market at the moment?

What do you think of the Novak GT7 and LRP IPC V7.1 Digital Pro Speed Control? Others?
Raikonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling Schumacher Mi2, Tamiya M02, Tamiya TA04-S, Tamiya TB Evolution 3 Surikarn Ltd st_rob Australia For Sale/Trade 4 12-23-2008 06:37 PM
FS: Tamiya TB Evolution II (NEW) ivan3721 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 05-18-2008 04:56 PM
FS: Tamiya TB Evolution 5 veecee Australia For Sale/Trade 3 07-20-2007 07:13 PM
tamiya tb evolution 5 b-man777 Electric On-Road 1 05-24-2006 10:38 AM
XXX-S GP VS Tamiya Evolution III capricess Electric On-Road 29 01-27-2003 07:49 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:39 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net