R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2003, 03:40 AM   #2881
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by GTMilenko
heres a pic of my EVO III
davioh-let me know if you want some close ups of those new camber links.
wow...camber links look nice! if u want ur car to be more blue, you can get the blue heat sink and the lightweight uni-shafts...it says rear...but i hav it for front and back...is ur servo the 9550? little one...but the wires on the servo make it look like a sanwa.

here are pictures of my evo!

davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 03:52 AM   #2882
Tech Regular

i have the blue uni's on the back, but i don't want to use them for the front because there only alloy and i don't know if there up to the extra stess of being put in the front!
the servo is a sanwa its one that came with my MX-3 radio.
i'm going to get a pair of the square blue gearbox's in about a month.
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 04:13 AM   #2883
Tech Fanatic

ur servo looks so small for some reason! hm...i hav the MX3 as well!
Old 07-11-2003, 05:55 AM   #2884
Tech Apprentice

Talking need part numbers

I need the part numbers so I can turn my one way into a regular diff , just ordered my evo 3 s last nite and i can't wait.
al jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:19 AM   #2885
Tech Fanatic

Default sad times

hi guys

I'm sorry to say that I'm just about to give up on my Evo 3, over the last 3 or 4 races meets I've had nothing but trouble, and even before that since I first got it. I can't get any speed out of it and too top it all off I burst a shock absorber tonight which is the least of my worries.

I'm running stock 27T Johnno Class On a high grip carpet surface, we run control tires and the johnno 27T. Handling issues I can deal with but gear ratios I just can't figure out. I was running a 90Spur with the 41 Pinion which was the fastest I could get out of it till a mate said he had the same problem with his Evo 2 and said to leave the pinion but change the spur to the 96T I did that and the car has just about doubled in speed, but no where NEAR the leading cars.

Plz, does anyone have any working setups for this type of running surface? Plz plz plz post em. I'll run this season out and see what happens but its not looking good .

I bought a TA04 TRF as my other car for running out doors, I gave that a run and it was on par with most of the leading cars straight off, so I don't know what to do now.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Matt
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:12 AM   #2886
Tech Regular

Default Re: sad times

Quote:
Originally posted by hawker
hi guys

I'm sorry to say that I'm just about to give up on my Evo 3, over the last 3 or 4 races meets I've had nothing but trouble, and even before that since I first got it. I can't get any speed out of it and too top it all off I burst a shock absorber tonight which is the least of my worries.

I'm running stock 27T Johnno Class On a high grip carpet surface, we run control tires and the johnno 27T. Handling issues I can deal with but gear ratios I just can't figure out. I was running a 90Spur with the 41 Pinion which was the fastest I could get out of it till a mate said he had the same problem with his Evo 2 and said to leave the pinion but change the spur to the 96T I did that and the car has just about doubled in speed, but no where NEAR the leading cars.

Plz, does anyone have any working setups for this type of running surface? Plz plz plz post em. I'll run this season out and see what happens but its not looking good .

I bought a TA04 TRF as my other car for running out doors, I gave that a run and it was on par with most of the leading cars straight off, so I don't know what to do now.

Matt
i run the same motor. your going the wrong way with your gearing, i have a 37t pinion and a 66t spur! and mine flies!
use the 90t spur and try a 50t or 51 tooth pinion , a50t pinion and 90t spur should give you a final of 4.6, much closer to mine!
give it a go! trust me! just keep checking you motor to make sure its not getting to hot. also make sure your driveline is free, sometimes doing the gearbox up to tight binds it up.
don't give up yet, this is a great car! good luck
Old 07-11-2003, 08:39 AM   #2887
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by davioh
ur servo looks so small for some reason! hm...i hav the MX3 as well!
its probly the square servo/transponder mount making it look small, i agree it does look small in that pic.
i didn't notice you couldn't see the back uni's in the pic
Old 07-11-2003, 08:57 AM   #2888
Tech Fanatic

hey...any tips for removing the turnbuckles? i had to get a whole new set of 5mm adjusters cuz the old ones kept falling off (it's a real pain)
Old 07-11-2003, 09:44 AM   #2889
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
hi guys

Matt
Matt,

Your current final drive ratio is 5.70 when geared 90/41 (90/41X2.6). You should shoot for a final drive ratio of 4.8 to 5.1 with the silver cans. It has been my experience that anything lower than 4.8 will make the cars slow off the corner...that is unless your track is huge?

my.02
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:46 PM   #2890
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to NMRCDude

Hi guys,

I just had a quick question. Does the TAO4 steering set fit on the Evo 3? Check the picture attached to take a look...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ta-49195.jpg (42.4 KB, 141 views)
NMRCDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 05:55 PM   #2891
Tech Addict

Quote:
hi guys

Matt
Matt,

Gearing depends a lot on track layout. Most carpet tracks I have seen can be considered tight, but even with your 90/41 gearing it's still probably to low a ratio for a 540 motor.

I don't usually race 540 class (a couple of times with a TA04R just for fun) but last wednesday night I ran my first 540 race with the evo3 and the thing was on fire.

With 48 pitch gears I used a 71 spur and a 38 pinion (FDR=4.86) and it was awesome.

I would probably start somewhere around 5.5 and start working up to 5.1 ratio for your carpet track. if you can practice just check the motor after 3 or 4 flying laps and see if it's getting to hot.

Do you have any pictures of the track?

All the other things that have been mentioned will help as well, like a very smooth and free drive train, the gearboxes not binding the diffs, cleaning out the bearings, etc.

Tony
defMondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:31 PM   #2892
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by NMRCDude
Hi guys,

I just had a quick question. Does the TAO4 steering set fit on the Evo 3? Check the picture attached to take a look...
wont' work...one piece looks like it might...but the other one is a z shap rather than a T shape....it would be nice cuz it's BLUE!!!!
Old 07-12-2003, 02:34 AM   #2893
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: sad times

Quote:
Originally posted by madjack
Matt,

Your current final drive ratio is 5.70 when geared 90/41 (90/41X2.6). You should shoot for a final drive ratio of 4.8 to 5.1 with the silver cans. It has been my experience that anything lower than 4.8 will make the cars slow off the corner...that is unless your track is huge?

my.02
sorry i disagree, mine is at 4.6, and it flies! the tracks i run on are medium to small. trust me, its not slow exiting corners,i have plenty of punch out of the corners.
and it goes REALLY fast down the straight. i would think you would be getting alot of wheelspin out of corners if you go higher(higher number) that 4.8? maybe you have much more traction on your track?
these johno's are the only motors i've ever used in my evo so i have tried a few different ratio's.
btw my motor only ever gets warm never hot.
on another note i'd like to mention i got 2 wins a second and a 3rd with my EVO today. not to shabby aye? considering i've only been racing for 6 months. i sure am glad i didn't buy a X-Ray!

Last edited by GTMilenko; 07-12-2003 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:06 AM   #2894
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Holmenkollen
izzyracer,
on my Evo 3 I also had one of the wheel axles to fat to fit in the bearing, so itīs not an isolated incident I think.
Have never experienced anything like it on previous Tamiya cars though.
What was your solution?
Old 07-12-2003, 04:43 AM   #2895
Tech Fanatic

hey, i got my upper arm aluminium mounts today...mmm..they look sooo good....im gonna put them on now