Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TB-Evolution III >

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Old 06-23-2003, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by PizzaDude
Guys,

Don't you get grip and stability mixed up.
The outer hole makes the car stabile, and more predictable.
The inner hole (due to leverage) gives more grip.

Shocks lay-down seems to give more side-bite and feesl as if the car is more direct.
but trough long corners a standup will work better.
Also standup keeps up the speed (momentum) through the corners.

Pizza
thanks pizza, that clears it up a bit for me.i'm still trying to learn stuff myself. i need some more side bite in the front so i mite try moving it in one at the front(shock tower).
i've just been reading the book trying to help out trf man , and i've learnt alot myself tonite. but in terms of grip, is what i've said tonite correct?
i figured that moving it in on the a-arm would make it more stand up therefore giving less grip,more corner speed. but what your saying is that leverage has more effect than the angle of the shock.correct?
Old 06-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

What grease does everyone use to run the gears in in there Surikarn evo 3? I have built mine but am not happy at all with how tight the transmission is, its far tighter than my other evo 3 was when i first built that. Rick
Old 06-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Rick go to the local bicycle store and fing a dry lube for chains.

It brushes on and dries and gives a very free drivetrain and with lube to quiet the gear mesh, and still rolls very free.

I use White lightning here in the States. I have seen a product fron Castrol that is the same that you should be able to find in the UK. I stay entirely away from any grease type lube as it is too " Sticky "
Old 06-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have seen that mentioned as what TC3 drivers use but i wondered if you used any graphite based greases to run the gears in on the bench before you clean the gears off and use the white lightening? Rick
Old 06-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

When I built the car the first time I used of all things toothpaste and 3v on a 540 motor and let it run for 2-3 hours.

Since then I haven't found the need to do this and have been able to keep the car very free.

The 2 cars I have seen better than mine was Taka at Tamiya America he is R&D for them and Rod Canare's car both of them have the Acer bearings in them and roll forever I know Rod does a little shimming on the diffs also. How much is by feel I am sure as all the cars are slightly different.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

I would only shim if necessary. It's all a matter of trial and error. and sometimes shimming will cause excess binding. For the most part, I try to do as little shiming as necessary and make sure that the main shaft is as straight as possible (replacements are only like 5 bucks) and that the pinion gears within the gearboxes spin perfectly round and do not wobble (again, these are pretty cheap). Prior to the Reedy Race, I used White Lightning and sprayed it on the bevel and pinion gears. It helps quit a bit and you do not get any "stiction" (I think this was coined by Difuser) caused by using grease for lubrication. Lately, I've been spraying my gears with Sailkote (it's basically spray on PFTE). It lubricates the same and is not as waxy as white lightning.

Here's some info on Sailkote:
http://www.mclube.com/frames/sailkote/index.html
Old 06-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

gt milenko.wot u r saying is very interesting[i also have the xxx main set up book].wen i was testing upright shocks gave more overall grip than layed down.
but iam running on polished wooden floor indoors so maybe it give it a bit more stabillity and i 4ort it was grip?
difference between stabillity and grip anyone?
Old 06-23-2003, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by rtypec
I would only shim if necessary. It's all a matter of trial and error. and sometimes shimming will cause excess binding. For the most part, I try to do as little shiming as necessary and make sure that the main shaft is as straight as possible (replacements are only like 5 bucks) and that the pinion gears within the gearboxes spin perfectly round and do not wobble (again, these are pretty cheap). Prior to the Reedy Race, I used White Lightning and sprayed it on the bevel and pinion gears. It helps quit a bit and you do not get any "stiction" (I think this was coined by Difuser) caused by using grease for lubrication. Lately, I've been spraying my gears with Sailkote (it's basically spray on PFTE). It lubricates the same and is not as waxy as white lightning.

Here's some info on Sailkote:
http://www.mclube.com/frames/sailkote/index.html
Old 06-23-2003, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

My pinion gears in my new Surikarn evo 3 float up and down in the gearbox's as do everyone elses i know of with evo 3's. Thanks for the tips difuser i will strip it down tomorrow and put some tooth paste on the gears then run it in! Rick
Old 06-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Rod did you find it at West Marine??

I will have to try it, it sounds like it is a touch better than the WL.

By the way where did you find the spray on WL
I have only found it in the liquid form and using it with a Toothbrush it is a pita
Old 06-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Rod thanks for the tip on sailkote, I'm getting mine tonight.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Difuser
Rod did you find it at West Marine??

I will have to try it, it sounds like it is a touch better than the WL.

By the way where did you find the spray on WL
I have only found it in the liquid form and using it with a Toothbrush it is a pita
My brother picked it up for me at West Marine. They do have it in stock I believe. When he used to race with "Young America" he would use Sailkote on everything and I guess it works.

I found the spray on WL at my local cycle shop. I've heard that the brush on type is more waxy but I haven't tried the brush on type yet. I guess you can attribute my purchase of the spray on type to laziness Put it down and spray it baby! hehe.

Oh snap, I see Fangio...what's up Tom, how are things in Texass? Man, we're missing you guys out here We had the LA Adventure 3 thing going on this Sunday and it was a blast!

Last edited by rtypec; 06-23-2003 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by trf racer
gt milenko.wot u r saying is very interesting[i also have the xxx main set up book].wen i was testing upright shocks gave more overall grip than layed down.
but iam running on polished wooden floor indoors so maybe it give it a bit more stabillity and i 4ort it was grip?
difference between stabillity and grip anyone?
i think we better start a new thread about this. that way somebody else mite help us out too. i'll call it "stabillity and grip"
see you there.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

anybody know where i can get a spool for my evo III?
Old 06-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

GT

[email protected]

Troy is the guy who made them for us at Reedy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.