R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2003, 08:23 AM   #2161
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

there are pictures a few posts back, and a spool is just a solid diff, no action at all.

peter

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 08:27 AM   #2162
Tech Fanatic

what is the advantage of a spool?
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:28 AM   #2163
Tech Adept

Default spools

who is making the spools and how can I go about getting one? I will not be attending the reedy race, but would like to purchase one of these spools from whoever is making them.
mrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:34 AM   #2164
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by peter_robinson
there are pictures a few posts back, and a spool is just a solid diff, no action at all.

peter
Peter, give us your views on using a spool. I understand the benefits of it, but what are the disadvantages? I tried one on my R and I notice a lot of vibrations when turning, it seemed very hard on the drivetrain
Old 05-16-2003, 11:45 AM   #2165
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mark I will put a note in the file I am keeping could you please send me an e-mail to:

dgarber@unitedwholesale.com

After Reedy I will be helping Troy get all the shipping addresses so he can send out to all who want them.

Troy Crabtree is making the spools you might remember him from Mini last time you were out at TA he had a good scrap with Whip in 01

Izzy spot on, turn-in can get mushy I add a touch of camber in front to help and also add a touch of anti-squat in the rear to help rotate the car.
It gives the yank of the one-way out but soft in you can brake way late in a real dicey situation but also cook the corner by doing the braking.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:44 PM   #2166
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

from my experience with a spool, it has the same characteristics of a one-way when you get back on power (meaning that it will steer hard to the direction that you are turning). but unlike the one-way, the spool allows the front wheel to help in braking, which is the reason that the reedy race is now run with a "no one-way" rule. the spool will however scrub alot of speed in the high speed corners, such as a sweeper.

this is just what i have noticed when using spools.

pete

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 11:49 PM   #2167
Tech Fanatic

gonna be racing my car tommorw...can't wait but not planning to do so well...it'd be my first race...i'll be running 23t stock.

should i put the one way or the front diff? asphault track, grip, unknown (i race in the smaller track of the 2)
Old 05-17-2003, 03:24 AM   #2168
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by davioh
gonna be racing my car tommorw...can't wait but not planning to do so well...it'd be my first race...i'll be running 23t stock.

should i put the one way or the front diff? asphault track, grip, unknown (i race in the smaller track of the 2)
i'd use the diff, but use what YOU feel comfortible with.
don't even worry about how well you do, just have fun man. and try not to crash. good luck
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:35 AM   #2169
Tech Fanatic

thanks...i'm gonna race with the one way. people at my track are telling me it's much better. i'll definately have fun...later on in the day..(havto be there at 8.30 AM )
Old 05-17-2003, 01:10 PM   #2170
Tech Rookie

Default Evo3

Hello everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank everyone that's posted on this forum. Most, if not all, of the information shared here has been very helpful to me. I've been reading this thread since my LHS informed me of its existence and that I can find the answers to most of my questions regarding the Evolution 3.

I've had my Evo3 for a little over a month now and must admit, it it the easiest car to drive well that I've ever owned. My RC experience has been limited to only Tamiya though. My other rides are a totally hopped up TB-01 and a TA-04. Both these cars have carbon fibre chassis and P2K2Pro motors installed.

Comparing the 3, the EVO is the easiest to drive quickly. And this has been my first experience with a front one-way. Even with all the problems that have been encountered with the front one-way, I prefer it to a regular ball diff which are installed in my other 2 cars.

The fixes that have been shared by other members on here have really helped me in avoiding those same problems. Your comments and recommendations have helped me to understand how to set up the car properly for the track that I run at.

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to all of you. Again, thank you!
Rob6rR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:39 PM   #2171
Tech Regular

Hi guys,
Could anyone tell me the diameter of the hole of the Evo3 One way gear?
Thanks!
Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 04:15 PM   #2172
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Potato
Hi guys,
Could anyone tell me the diameter of the hole of the Evo3 One way gear?
Thanks!
6mm
Old 05-17-2003, 05:48 PM   #2173
Tech Regular

GTMilenko, thanks, but I meant the One-Way Gear, not the regular ball diff gear. I think the One-Way gear has a larger center hole than the regular gear, but I don't know how big.
Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:58 PM   #2174
Tech Regular

oh, i get ya, i was talking about the holes in the one-way unit for the outdrives, the hole in the gear is about 12.3mm, give or take a 0.1mm. hope this helps. why do you ask? are you get something made up?
Old 05-18-2003, 07:46 AM   #2175
Tech Fanatic

alright everyone. i drove my car today and i sucked. i got fourth qualifying for D main because my one way gear got loose and my diff broke. then in the D main i got last cuz i made a crash which broke my ESC (i hope i can fix it) and my chassis is realtively split in the bumper area funny thing is that i did a lot better while i wasn't racing