R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2003, 04:04 AM   #1981
Tech Rookie

I have not had the problem with the shield coming out as I built my car with the blue shielded Tamiya bearings from new. I have however stripped one way gears even though I also installed the tech racing plate, and bent a propshaft, which also led to another gear stripping incident. Seem to have solved this by new gears and shimming the one-way over slightly. One slightly worrying thing though is that when I came to replace the stripped gear, I noticed the small gear on the end of the propshaft had twisted round off the flat by about 10 degrees causing the gear to not run true.
Has anyone tried to make a spool for the EvoIII yet? Are the standard outdrives strong enough to do this with? I haven't yet run mine with anything other than the one-way, although a lot of people in the UK are running spools in other manufacturers cars.
We run 12 turn modified over here with Take Off tyres(mainly) outdoors on asphalt. In the cold normally!
Also, does anyone know if the Surikarn edition has the graphite impregnated gear cases seen on some images on this thread?
I've also seen that Square do some nice machined alloy ones. Has anyone got these?. I feel that flexability in the casings may be some of the problem with the one-way gears, but I may be wrong.......
Jonny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:36 AM   #1982
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: TB EVO 3 officially discontnued.

Quote:
Originally posted by izzyracer
According to RCzone.net our awesome car is now officially discontinued to make way for the Shurikarn Edition, is anyone starting a new thread for this baby?
most things on the new one is pretty much the same, other than some red stuff. so they are both evo 3's dun't think we need to
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:50 AM   #1983
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

When that bearings shield pop off on my EVO3 which I found floating on the shaft. I thought it was just poor bearings. But like RtypeC said we might have to use the Tamiya Rubber Shield. I want the Shurikarn now.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:09 AM   #1984
Tech Fanatic

i heard from this other thread that they don't like tamiya cuz they change cars so often. and i also heard that they are focusing more on the evo lineup rather than the 414's. and my evo 3 is pretty new...so i don't think i would be getting a surikarn version. hehe maybe there will be an evo 4 in half a year
Old 05-01-2003, 08:11 AM   #1985
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec

davioh, I understand and share your excitement about the Evo3 but to save some face, here's is something futureal posted in another thread and I hope that you don't take it the wrong way.

"We specifically warned you to stop posting junk and you have continued. Yesterday I saw you respond to about 9 or 10 different threads in the Paint forum, with every one of your responses being one line or less.

DON'T respond to threads with things like "me too" or "" or "wow really?" and so on. And don't tell me that you've stopped doing that, because you posted about 40 times yesterday across half the forums.

Part of the appeal of this site is that people tend to have real discussions and act a bit more mature than other places. This isn't meant to be a chat forum like RCCA (www.caraction.com). I'm not trying to be harsh, be we HAVE warned you, and you choose to ignore it.

edit: In fact, in this forum alone, you responded to the last 7 or 8 threads, with one of your responses be nothing more than "yeah." and most of the others being something like "Yea, do what he said." Those are posts that don't need to be made, they just clutter things up. Only respond to a thread if you have something to ADD to the discussion, not just for the sake of posting. "
sorry if i've pissed anyone off...didn't notice till now thanks for the heads up
Old 05-01-2003, 01:04 PM   #1986
Tech Regular

i have a race meet tomorrow, and i have just put a spool in my evo, i've taken the car out once with it and the out drives handled it fine, you have to put the little ring things on the end of the out drives though, or they will break, i'll let you know how well it held out, when i get back from racing.
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:10 PM   #1987
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dunno why we'd need all those other goodies...my car is flying just with the front diff installed...
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:32 PM   #1988
Tech Regular

Aluma - my car is fast as with the front diff aswell, i just want to try a spool, it was cheap to make. unless i'm really really fast with the spool i wont keep it in cause i can't afford the extra tire wear its going to cause.
but in the one time i've used it already it was awsome! it was real easy to drive, heaps of onpower steering, offpower steering didn't seem to suffer as much as i thought it would either.
and the car seems to feel more powerful. i'll let you know more after my racing tomorrow night.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:54 PM   #1989
Tech Regular

was it machined or did you make it from existing parts
sportracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:07 PM   #1990
Tech Regular

the spool is a evo III diff but without the diff plates or the balls,
i then used 100grit sandpaper glued onto the outdrives to replace the diff plates, then tighten it up, i can give more detail if you want
Old 05-01-2003, 03:19 PM   #1991
Tech Regular

I think I can picture it thanks
sportracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:06 PM   #1992
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a local machinist making spools for Reedy if anyone needs one holler, Reedy Tamiya users get first dibbs after that it is open season. Just want to make sure those at Reedy have them. I have been running a proto since Carpet Nats. He is in the process of making them out of stronger Alum. and also S Steel versions for better wear rate but at a weight penalty.

I am having them made as I destroyed a Diff-sandpaper spool
Old 05-01-2003, 04:14 PM   #1993
Tech Regular

Difuser - what type of motor did you destroy your sand paper spool with? i use a johnson 540 so it should handle that eh?
Old 05-01-2003, 04:15 PM   #1994
Tech Regular

Hi Difuser,

I'm just curious, how much does each custom spool cost?

Thanks
Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 05:00 PM   #1995
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Difuser - I will be at the Reedy and am interested in one of those heavy duty spools when they're ready
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote