R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-31-2003, 08:37 AM   #1591
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Aquion, you shoulda stopped by the Tamiya tent, we had everything available for "loan", including the 36T pinion that woulda put you on pole.

The track was kinda fun after the first qualifiers when the traction finally came in.

My hat goes off to Hobby People for putting up a great show, working through the 26heat program, and providing a nice shaddy spot for Tamiya to pit.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:05 AM   #1592
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Geetoo Send a message via Yahoo to Geetoo

Quote:
Originally posted by davioh
always gotta watch ur screws....everywhere...i mighta said this already but u gotta make sure the screws on the main chassi are tight....or else if they come off YOU'RE screwed lol....happened once and lost the suspension balls.

Yup got a point there. On each crash probably its safe to check all screws or be screwed forever! lol...kinda considering of putting thread locks on block screw too.
www.team-durango.com
www.actionhobbiesonline.net
Geetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 11:11 AM   #1593
Tech Master

Hey guys. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I didn't feel like reading through 54 pages of old posts. It sounds like everyone likes the handling of the car, but what motors are you guys running? I am considering buying an Evo3, but will race it in stock, not mod. I have a TC3 that handles well in mod, but I hate the way it handles with a stock motor. I also have a XXX-S that I normally race stock, so I'm trying to decide if I should spend the $$ to "upgrade" from my XXX-S and don't want to end up with another car that handles crappy in stock, but is good in mod. If anyone can compare the Evo3 to the XXX-S and TC3 running stock, I'd appreciate hearing your opinions.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 11:19 AM   #1594
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium
Default STOCK MOTORS...

i only run stock... mostly Monsters, depending on track. i like it very well this way, and i turn about 1 -1 1/2 laps better that i did with the Team TC3. i didnt really like w\mod, cuz i seem to burn up/slip diff rings with a 12 double.

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 12:26 PM   #1595
Tech Elite

Default Stock Motor Too...

I also typically race stock. Just make sure that you blow out all of your bearings with motor spray and relube them with a light oil in order to ensure a smooth free drivetrain.

For motors, I'd use a monster stock with 4503 brushes, black springs on both sides, and geared between 7.1-7.7 for a tight-medium track.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:44 PM   #1596
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to KenSmith Send a message via Yahoo to KenSmith
Default hey all...suggestions

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum, as I have only run ta04-r in the Tamiya stable. I have been running Xray Evo2, ta04-r, and FT TC3 this winter.....but our carpet season is over for the year, and we move outside nex weekend.
I should have my new Evo3 this week and want to set it up for outdoor (asphalt) running this summer. Any suggestions as a starting point...or point me to a good resource for setups? We are running stock with rubber tires on a fairly large track.
thanks,
Ken
KenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 01:04 PM   #1597
Tech Elite

Ken mostly stock is a great starting point the main changes I have made to my car is as follows

Swaybar changes to suit your driving
Blue F/R currently

F kick-up:
1mm vs .7
Toe block front D/A
Rear A/C
Springs:
I am running Associated Gold
If you are on low traction or preparing for TCS stay with Tamiya

Overall the envelope seems to be pretty large for the car I also swap between the diff and 1-way regularly if we have a low traction/dusty weekend.

I have run like this in all three motor levels Stock, 19T, Open Mod and I make slight changes to suit the motor.

Hope it helps
Old 03-31-2003, 02:21 PM   #1598
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AQuionIV Send a message via Yahoo to AQuionIV

RTypeC I was around the Tamiya Tent like half the time I was there! heheh.. Luved seein' that new TA04 TRF! I was just too shy to ask u guys fr anything.. heheh.. for me, that's kinda like tryin 2ask a celebrity for something while they're on a concert or something=P. I was the skinny guy in the blue tanktop, that kept goin back and forth up there.. Who are you RTypeC?? are you the guy in the black TRF shirt? cuz he was the only one I saw w/ an Evo3 in the Tamiya Tent. He told me to overgear my car to the max if I could, since it was a handout stock motor=P. heheh.. But my gears stopped at 35. lol.. oh wellz.. it was still a great race, and I wish I coulda been there for my main=)... I am way past more than happy w/ my performance.. I never knew I could run like that=P.. heheh.. If you really liked that race, u definitely have to come to the Hitec Parkinglot Challenge held by Hobbypeople in august.. heheh.. same style, except in poway, on asphalt, and w/ more people/prizes... Hitec was my first race ever (last year). and ever since then, I was hooked=)
AQuionIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 02:25 PM   #1599
Tech Elite

Ah that's you? You shoulda asked because I had atleast one of those on me. Noticed how I was the ONLY one wearing a black shirt? Hot day, black shirt, plus thick logo graphics equals dehydration Woops

Yeah, those handouts looked like old epic cans and I'd gear the snot out of them and along with some decent packs, they'd either be really fast or really blown up or both

Last edited by rtypec; 03-31-2003 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:49 PM   #1600
Tech Addict

I couldn't possibly have wanted anything more w/ how the car handled... for me, it was perfect=). I just needed the gearing.. heheh... It was nice meeting you there=)... I just wish I coulda seen u run that Evo 3, just to see it in a class other than Rookie. heheh.. Hope to see you race again sometime soon=).. and maybe one day, hope to race WITH you (if some day, I ever get as good as you guys).. heheh.. thanks again for all your help. BTW... how is ur suspension set up anyways? just wondering... Mines is basically all stock.

5mm front/rear
blue sways front, red rear
camber: 2.5 all the way,
springs all yellow...
stock suspension block setups, 0 toe in front...
shocks set at the middle holes

anything u think I can change? I think it's perfect.. then again, it's comparing to my old FT TC3, as this was my first race w/ the Evo3. thanks=)
Old 03-31-2003, 06:40 PM   #1601
Tech Fanatic

haha....i wish i was good enough to race. who's been to hk? and the track by fairview park? well...i usually drive in the small track with my friend rather than driving w/ all the nitros i did once....so hard to keep up...even with an 11T...hai...
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:26 PM   #1602
Tech Adept

Default Comparsion of TB3 and SD in straight feeling

Quality: Wooooooo. Beautiful! Definitely better than TB3!
Only the quality. but not the material
used). No trim is required except removal of part-tree reminder. The graphic chassis
is the most beautiful part. Space and parts are perfectly fit!!

Layout: Basically same as TB3....
but some majoy features signify it blood!! It is a little bit thicker than TB3
(Of course!! SD has 3 floors where TB3 has only 2). The whole chassis is stronger
and less twist than TB3. The drive train system is higher than TB3 around 2mm.
Suspension is the most unique feature it has. It is totally a copy of MR4TC sp
(I means the style!! Yokomo Fans should happy to hearing that!! They are not copying
from Tamiya). What from stock setup is just like the SP (V-shape front suspension
arm angle... ETC). However the suspension system lets you adjusting it into Tamiya
style (flatter lower arm angle).

Material Use: Some better some worse.
The most I like is the graphic plate (Must be). I love the
plastic it uses also. It is harder than the one used in TB3 except the lower arm.
All the car using the same kind of plastic in the chassis. Some graphic seems mixed inside
but not really sure. The shock absorber is look better than TB3 but I cannot say it is better
since TRF damper is really smooth!!! The screws it uses are all hexi-head and made of
light weight material. I am not sure it is Ti or not, May be aluminium I think.
The CVD dog-bone is really heavy one (I will change it latter). The most disappointing place is
the suspension block. Make of plastic make me look back my TB3. The suspension pin is also another
disappointing. If it is as think as Tamiya, it will be perfect. BTW the spacer it uses in the
suspension is also suck!

Drive Train: Must be good but not perfect!!!
The weight of the drive train is the most questioning area. From the design point of view,
TB3 has a lighter and higher efficient layout. It is the smoothest, simplest and most efficient
shaft-drive I have even seen. However, easy damage of the front gears deducts the mark it has.
I give TB3 90 marks in this area.
What SD adopted is the TC3 style. Divide the whole shaft-train into 3 pieces. This cause
little efficient problem but give a higher reliablity. Additional structure adds more weight on
the whole driving system. The front one-way design is the best I have seen. The metal plate
backup 90% area of the one-way gear. Light weight front one-way outdrive is another sweet point.
The small bevel gear are fixed in the axis with screw and couse no space. The gear box is hard
enough to keep the gear mesh inside. So from the design, stripping gear from dis-position in
hard collision like TB3 seems not exist in SD. The drive-train is just smooth but not as good as
a run-in TB3. Of course if SD has run in, it will be smooth also. I give it 95 marks. (TC3 has
only 85 in my opinion! It is not smooth enough when compare with this 2 badies.).
mr4-tc sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:04 PM   #1603
Tech Addict

I won't believe that Yokomo's performance until I see it on track. As a shaft driver (TC3, then TB evo2, now evo3), I know the power of the drivestick. And I know Yokomo can have sum serious cars, but I still am not quite sure that the yokomo can improve on what Tamiya has perfected (in my opinion.) except maybe besides teh front 1way
Old 03-31-2003, 09:35 PM   #1604
Tech Elite

I wouldn't say the EVO 3 is perfected. It still has some issues that need to be worked out. But we'll see once I get my SD in this week. In the mean time I'm gonna race my EVO3 on carpet for the first time. I'll have to see how it compares to my old TC3.

A question for you guys. Just curious but do you think chassis flex will cause some slight gear mesh problems? Looking at the TC3. It's a 3 piece unit where flex won't interfere with gear mesh because the shaft floats in the drive cups. But on an EVO3 the shaft is directly connect between one drive/shaft gear to the other. Therefore, alittle flexing might cause slight changes in the gear mesh of the diff and shaft gears. Now I don't think the chassis would flex that much to make a big difference. But just curious as to what yall think.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:57 PM   #1605
Tech Adept

No I suppose. Chassis flex will not call the gear mesh. But the soft material used for TB3 gear box makes the gear mesh change when the wheel hit on something. I do have this experience when I change the one-way drive cup into TB01 reinforce one which is longer and require no spacer, I stripped my gear when the wheel hit to a substance.
But this time I strip the small one, not the one-way gear. What I suspect is when the wheel hit the wall, it push toward the gear box. Then the dog-bone push the cup and the one-way unit. Finally it push out the bevel gear out of its position and cause gear strip.

What I think on SD against TB3 is, the drive train of TB3 is close to perfect but still have the problem on the one-way gear backup support. Since I suppose the way of gear stripping I mentioned can be easily fixed by change back to original one-way drive cup and a reinforced gearbox (I hope tamiya will release this later). However for SD there is no such problem but have to issue some light weight option for the drive train. I think the most essential difference between thess 2 cars is the suspension system instead of the drive-train.
mr4-tc sp is offline   Reply With Quote