R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-25-2003, 06:16 AM   #1516
Tech Adept

I have been running my evo3 on foams now for about a month and since I put the front diff in I haven't had a problem with stripping gears at all. The one thing I have noticed is the car is sensitive to tire selection. I have found that double purples and lime trc's seem to work great. A lot of people like plaids and purples which is a good place to start, and then you have to fine tune with the track and your driving style.
mrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:45 AM   #1517
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AQuionIV Send a message via Yahoo to AQuionIV
Default scared....

I have been jumping from Stock (MVP) motor to a very fast Modified (reedy Ti) 8x2 motor on my Evo3. Wierd thing is, everyone seems to have a problem w/ the gears for the 1way. I AM STILL YET TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM!!! Which actually scares me, because the first time I will be hitting the track full on is this sunday. I'm scared the bevel gear would just shatter 2 minutes into the race or something. Can anyone tell me what a "Shim" is? This seems to be the only fix as of now, but I don't even know what it looks like, let alone wat to buy. I'm probably gonna be the most expensive RC in the rookie class.. heheh. I don't want to scar the reputation of this beautiful car, but I'm scared I'm just gonna tear it apart in a race.. we'll find out... any help would be great=)
AQuionIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:00 AM   #1518
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default kilruf

Kilruf....I am having dejavu! Your finishing position in TCS and all your issues are exactly what I experienced at TCS in Newark earlier this year.The Tires are type A's by the way.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:05 PM   #1519
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Difuser
Jr man he didn't look that old

Just wondering if it was the same I had fun racing him at Tamiya Finals 2 yrs ago.
Looks like Derek Hung of the Toronto area is still driving for Tamiya. He has just appeared on our registered list of drivers for our champinionship race.

http://www.nwsca.com/scripts/rc_foru...p?TOPIC_ID=954

ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:11 PM   #1520
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

racenut123-shoot me an e-mail please!!! rshuang@ameritech.net
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:19 PM   #1521
Tech Elite

Yeah, the problems suck. But oh well. Gonna be running stock this weekend. Not gonna take a chance in Mod class. Thanks on the tires. I look all in the instructions and finally read on the box (duh) that they were A compound. I thought they were. But wasn't sure because I thought I read somewhere someone mentioned they were B's. I dunno. Maybe I misread it. Tires were okay and felt the same as my friends A compound tires. So I just assumed they were. The shop was all out of A's and so were all the other places I tried to order from. So I saved my kit tires for the race. Blah blah blah.

I'll be getting ready though for July. I have another TCS race to go to up in Maryland. Hope I can solve things by then! I'll have plenty of races to get the bugs worked out. Including the Roar Nationals hehe...

Don't get me wrong. I like the car. It just has 2 issues I don't like.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 06:50 PM   #1522
Tech Regular

what is everyone using to shim there axles?

KilRuf-
i would use the kit tyres for practice and get some belted tryes for racing! and get some inserts that dont leave a gap between the insert and tyre.
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:46 PM   #1523
Tech Regular

GTMilenko:

I'm using the Tamiya aluminium shim set to shim the axles.
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:29 PM   #1524
Tech Elite

I thought the kit tires were belted?? And since we are only allowed to use Tamiya Tires at the TCS races... and the track conditions were in favor of A compound... I used them for the race. So too late, they are gone anyways. I use Takeoffs during my "normal" racing at the local tracks. I used HPI Red inserts during the TCS.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:33 PM   #1525
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

Still doing research on this car and wanted to know how does the car stack up interms of drivetrain effecientcy and free spin? Is this car a good fit for stock as well as mod in terms of drivetrain?

Thanks for helping guys!

Jeff W.
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:45 AM   #1526
Tech Addict

I have been racing Stock with a Losi XXXS (full graphite, titanium turnbuckles, alloy driveshafts) for around 8 months and have been running the EVO 3 for about 5 race neetings and it's an awesome car.

The drive train is extremely free even with the kit bearings, much more so then the Losi's ever was. With the same motors I was able to gear the car much higher then the Losi would go without frying motors.

The only problem I have is the one way gear, but I have just done the lastest mod of removing the backing off the crown gear and it seems to have lasted a lot better then before, I already have the tech Racing disc backing the gear and both combined are helping. But gears are relatively cheap.

I'm still running the car with almost the kit setup and it just seems to work so well. It's moved me from the B's to A's so far this year so I'm happy and I still haven't put in any hopups, I will be adding the alloy driveshafts soon.

Don't know if it helps you Jeff but I like it.

Tony
defMondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 03:12 AM   #1527
Tech Regular

hey thanx itchynads, would you mind telling me what comes in the Tamiya aluminium shim set? is this what hey call the TRF shim set? thanx.
can someone explain what this banana effect is please?
is the banana effect to do with the oneway problem?
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 06:02 AM   #1528
Tech Regular

10mm, 6mm, 5mm and 6mm shim set is what I think they are called. Each set comes with 0.3, 0.2 and 0.1mm thick shims.

5mm shims are for the axles while the 10mm is for the diff hubs. The rest can be used for the drive train or suspension arms.
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 06:04 AM   #1529
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by defMondo
The only problem I have is the one way gear, but I have just done the lastest mod of removing the backing off the crown gear and it seems to have lasted a lot better then before, I already have the tech Racing disc backing the gear and both combined are helping. But gears are relatively cheap.

Tony
can you tell me what the update is from tech racing and where to purchase?

thanks

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 07:29 AM   #1530
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium
Post jeff w.

hey Jeff... i live in Tulsa, and have seen you and doug here at RCR. if you get a chance soon, ive got an Evo you can check out. its doing well for me. nice and free drivetrain, after the kit bearings are cleaned out. my name is Wes, by the way...

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote