R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-24-2003, 10:31 AM   #1501
Tech Addict

Seen this one?:

http://nifty.amikai.com/amiweb/browser.jsp?url=www.rct.jp&langpair=2,1&c_id=nifty &lang=JA&t_dis=3
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:33 AM   #1502
Tech Addict

http://nifty.amikai.com/amiweb/brows...ang=JA&t_dis=3
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 06:48 PM   #1503
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's very good that Tamiya is improving their flagship car-and giving us a chance to experience the fruits of their research.
but $410 for a car?
it's the Pro 3 story all over again.One of the main reasons i bought the EvoIII was so i can concentrate on driving and not upgrading.
Add the price of the upgrades and MINUS the price of the old parts i dont think it would come to $120(the price difference of the new car and old car)
I will be the 1st one to rush my ass to get the carbon-one way thingy though.
And guys : Limited Edition means nothing more than Limited until Evo 4 is released.Even the limited Evo II is still available.
Just my $0.02 though.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 06:54 PM   #1504
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to ecenshu

IMO the EVO 3 is nothing like the Pro 3, the upgrades are "optional" not a requirement. I have race my EVO 3 successfully without any extras and it DOES feel a lot better than my TC3.

Just my .03 (Damn inflation! )
ecenshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:34 PM   #1505
Tech Regular

Just taking a look at the specs of the trf evo3 and it sounds as if it will come with a revised one way or gear. Hope it will fit on my existing evo3
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:43 PM   #1506
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

Now I read alot about the one way gear problems. Does the same gear have problems with the full diff in the front?

Thanks for any info.

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:51 PM   #1507
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Jeff-I dont think anyone is having problems with the bevel gear on the diff!!! I have heard nothing bad about it.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:54 PM   #1508
Tech Elite

Thanks Ray, so you are saying that it seems to be mor of a oneway problem then. Do people have much success running the Evo 3 with both diffs in the car (I know you have a xray now but thanks for your help!)

Jeff
Old 03-24-2003, 08:05 PM   #1509
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Werner
Now I read alot about the one way gear problems. Does the same gear have problems with the full diff in the front?

Thanks for any info.

Jeff
I can confirm that there are no problems when running with full diffs up front. The diffs will slip during a crash so the gear will not strip. There is also some slop in the diff so it protects it from stripping.
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:07 PM   #1510
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

jeff,

from what I have heard (I bought 95% of the diff, but forgot the darn bearings so I never finished one to try-sorry), the car is very similar, but feels more consistent lap to lap-corner to corner. I can see that being true. Although this is the easiest one-way car to drive (has to be as I was driving it), it did on occasion seem to not quite hit the same apex lap to lap, sometimes. Might have been the one-way causing that.

Its a sweet ride-if your thinking about one-buy a diff, buy the hopefully soon to be released hard material diff cases as well.

What car are you currently driving now?
Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:19 PM   #1511
Tech Elite

I am currently building a new G+...but have agraphite losi that I have been running still and it is a great car....but at times I can be more of a hobbiest...lol Back in the day I was in love with the TAO3 Pro... David Jun was my fav racer...since then I have wanted a full race worthy tamiya car. I would have to move my new car and my current racer, but am thinking that this one looks worthy.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2003, 08:20 PM   #1512
Tech Regular

ray is right, i've run my front diff about 6 times now and yeah what ray said.
some days using the oneway i loved it and was flying and other days i hated it!
i love the diff, always
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:07 PM   #1513
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AQuionIV Send a message via Yahoo to AQuionIV
Default ball diff...

Is the ball diff a set part? from past posts, it seems like u hafta build ur own ball diff... If you build ur own diff, how's it done?? (I'm a rookie).. so please explain in regular people terms how it's done... thanks...
AQuionIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:37 PM   #1514
Tech Regular

all the parts for a diff are listed in the manual, but buy a ta04 ball diff kit, it has a few bits you need in it and will save you money.
i didn't know that when i built mine but there is a ta04 diff kit.
i think it has every think but the gear,outdrives and the diff rings.
try http://www.hobbymania.com.hk/eng/index.asp, Andy there is really quick to reply to email and gets things sent out nice and fast.
once you have all the parts, build it the same as the rear diff and maybe set it 1/4 of a turn tighter. good luck
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:28 AM   #1515
Tech Elite

Okay just got back from a TCS race the other night. I think I could have done better, but I won't get into that. Ended up 4th in GT1. Anyways... here are my thoughts on the EVO3 after 2 weeks of owning the car...

Front oneway strips easy. Yeah, it's been said on here. And I done it at my first race last week as well. But I can now see it's in the design of the oneway housing. I now see the obvious design flaw in Tamiya's oneway. Basically put... Tamiya designed the oneway diff gear to be bolted on the wrong side of the diff housing. With their current design, there is nothing but the 4 screws to support the "back" pressure of the main shaft pinion from pushing against the diff gear. This causing warping and stripped gears. A cheap fix is to put a "backing" plate on the diff and screw it on like that. I did that and still stripped the gear. I even did the "diagnal" cutter thing to the shaft gear. Anyway's if you notice the design of the AE/Yokomo oneway units... you'll see how the diff gear bolts on properly. Why would a regular diff not have this problem? Because a regular diff is backed on both sides of the gear by diff rings.

Anyways, just my observation on the Tamiya oneway design.

Another thing mentioned here was the blocks. I bent 2 A blocks! These things are weak! hehe... Did someone say the 414 blocks bolt on? I'd switch to those if I could.

Other than that, the car was just fine. Easy to work on. I had trouble finding a good setup. Especially when I was trying to run a 8x2 mod. Ended up just using a 19 turn. I needed more power. But that's a long story.......

Well the setup was just right for the 19turn. Tons of steering. Just some fine tuning needed. Does anyone know what the kit tires are? Also, anyone find a good servo saver that works on this car. I wasn't using one at all. I think I stripped a gear in my S9550. Small Kimbroughs don't work. At least not for me. Any other brands?

Gonna head out.. thanks..

Jimmy Mac
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote