Xtremetoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #122
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also what motor works best in these
Old 01-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #123
Tech Rookie

Xtreme, I posted back a page or so about the apparently German-made ring gears: They are all I've found in some serious searching. Not worth it to me to acquire them, but if there is another source for metal ring gears, I'd like to know too! Anybody heard anything?

This car has been a LOT of work to get built properly! But I'm an old-school kit builder, so it's been kinda fun. The big thing is, I used a 1/8"drill bit on ALL the supposedly 3mm. hings pin holes, then hadda do the outers AGAIN after screwing in the bottom shock mounts- They squeezed the hinge pin hole tight again, as they expand the plastic, the holes being so close together. Took out some serious material! Also shaved some here & there, but got totally free & smooth arms now.

I also ground off a bit of extra plastic from the front battery mount, as it can interfere with the steering rack on full left turns. My rack sticks out a few thou over stock due to my steering bearing fix (Mentioned back a page or so.) Also replaced ALL the kit ball cups with the short Tamiya ones.

All in all, I seriously cannot believe that this car will drive at all without everything I mentioned being done! Everything would just be WAY too tight to work, period. I also machined up some Aluminum diff outdrives for the driveshaft, so now all metal drivetrain except the ring gears. It'll be a while before we run 'em, but I expect two totally smooth-running cars now. Chris REC
toyranosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #124
Tech Adept

I knew this was an older post and these cars probly didn't have a huge following, but I hoped to find some parts. I just recently got mine super cheap off eBay and had couple issue when putting together and saw need for some improvements. I did find some spare parts and ordered all I could. I dig the little chassis amd have a really cool body for it . Let me know if you find anything, thanks
Old 01-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #125
Tech Rookie

'Nother thing I feel is important: I ordered some diff shims for the diffs themselves, and also for the outdrives. I guess it's my meticulous Machinist's nature, but gears mesh only one of 2 ways: Correctly and Some Other Way. Odd that this is the one thing that's looser than a goose on these cars, wnen everthang else is tighter'n a teenage...Ah....Well, awful tight! I think it'll give me better gear life, and possibly help avoid crash breakage, but either way can't hurt right? Chris REC
Old 01-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #126
Tech Adept

Lol.... Maybe that the secret , keep it loose!!! Lol ... I ordered several gear sets, metal pinion gears, front one way ( I think) and a few other goodies , I'll keep you posted , that is if they ever make it in from Japan!!!

Any chance you might make me some of those metal parts you made for yours?
Old 01-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #127
Tech Rookie

Sorry Mate, that I can't do. They're one of the perks of being a Machinist. I can't charge squat for 'em and they take time on the lathe and the mill. The stock ones, I think a couple extra come in the kit (Tellingly,) so while you're getting other stuff grab a few extra & you'll be set for life, I imagine. Chris REC
Old 01-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #128
Tech Rookie

i bought one of these kits and just got it put together and tried it out this weekend at my local carpet oval track in a mini late model class with a healthy 17.5 motor on friday but not enough motor so changed to a 13.5 for saturday with stock gearing and its alot faster but had rear diff issues where the diff bolt pulled through the plastic outdrives looking for upgrades for parts tried tc3 diff but its different any help would really love to find a gear diff any help would be appreciated.
miniracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #129
Tech Adept

I ordered some upgrades from hobbyking, go look at thier international wharehouse , might find what your looking for
Old 01-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #130
Tech Rookie

thanks i will check that out
miniracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:40 AM   #131
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremetoyz View Post
Also what motor works best in these
I don't know about best, but I only use a silver can. The factory diff cups are so soft they deform easily per pictures a page or so back. It runs real well though. Honestly much better than the old HPI CupRacer which is also shaft driven.

I've had a lot of fun with this car so far. I guess the best for me is that I can still use my old NiCd side by sides no problem and weight distribution is good.
4PKS-R, DX4S, EX-5UR: Sabre4WD Mini, SabreFD Mini, M01, M02, M03, M04, M05 (2), M05ProV2, TA05 M-Four, CupRacer, BSR M-Rage, WR02, GF01 (2), CC01 (2), CW01, CR01, DF02, TT02B, TA02, RS4, MicroRS4, MR01, MR03-S (2), MR03VE, DigiQ (7), & more.. Updates of projects I am working on in my profile page.
sakadachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #132
Tech Rookie

So I am taking the M.rage in a crazy direction...

It has foam tires, 17.5 and I'll likely thrown in boost until the motor is up to temperature.

I am still running stock diff in the rear but went to spool in the front. The diff will likely melt quickly as I've already managed in the past. I tried to order from nitro rcx but shipping in 36 usd to canada so I was forced to look into alternative diff options.

With a bit of work a spec-r gear diff for a tb03 may just be perfect. I did some initial fitting and i think it'll work. Had to order a casing as this borrowed diff was busted.

I'll need to dremel a touch on the inside of the diff housing and use a lathe to cut the notch for the bearing 0.5mm in. I'll file down the shaft to fit the metal bevel gear option and make sure things fit. It should drop right in after that.

I'll report back with pics. Think this may really help longevity and consistency in handling. Too bad gear diff with metal outdrives isn't an option part for this kit
Richard T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #133
Tech Rookie

I get the idea most chaps aren't reading much of this before they post.... Chris REC
Old 02-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #134
Tech Rookie

Mkay so! Got the Girl's car done, and mine is waiting for a few bits: Then we'll be off to try & get her involved, cross fingers.....I only have 1 worry, which is replacement parts- I can get everything I need, except for a-Arms.

They will likely be in stock one fine day, but I want an extra set before we even go out to the track. Hence, I am appealing to you fine chap's good natures to hook me up with some. I know these are highly coveted, but I also know some of you bought up a fair amount of extras & can easily afford to he'p a guy out (You same guys are probably why the cupboard is bare now, so karma sez.....)

Kindly let me know if you have a set- Or two- of arms you'd part with, I'll go a couple extra bucks on 'em since it'll likely be a while before they become available again- If ever. My thanks Gents! Chris REC
Attached Thumbnails
BSR Racing M.RAGE mini-20170219_122622_resized_1.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #135
Tech Elite

GJ on the body looks great!
4PKS-R, DX4S, EX-5UR: Sabre4WD Mini, SabreFD Mini, M01, M02, M03, M04, M05 (2), M05ProV2, TA05 M-Four, CupRacer, BSR M-Rage, WR02, GF01 (2), CC01 (2), CW01, CR01, DF02, TT02B, TA02, RS4, MicroRS4, MR01, MR03-S (2), MR03VE, DigiQ (7), & more.. Updates of projects I am working on in my profile page.
sakadachi is offline   Reply With Quote