BSR Racing M.RAGE mini >

BSR Racing M.RAGE mini

Like Tree37Likes

BSR Racing M.RAGE mini

Old 01-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
Just read about this car in the latest issue of RC Car Action.
They give it a much better review than you do Sakadachi. However I trust your review on this thread 100% more than RC Action ...they tend to praise everything and are rarely critical.

For $80ish I was going to pick one up ...but I think i'll stick w/ my other 2 1/12th scale cars for now and pass. The steering seems to be an issue, -one that can be fixed but would rather invest in another Tamiya M class car as a spare/backup for race day. (I almost missed a race or two this past year as my Tamiya M needed a motor swap 7 mins before one race -never soldered so quick in my life. Also ran into a steering issue which I just barely fixed prior to another race.). ...anyway...
hi eR1c - Yeah, while the kit is decent for the price, you get what you pay for. It's nowhere at the quality of the TOPRacing chassis. And the steering linkage in stock form is imho unacceptable. It requires the optional bearings and smoother ball links (heretic's pinching the ball adjusters is a great idea and works if you don't have spare ball adjusters from other brands), but the Tamiya ball joints are so much smoother.

At the end of the day, one would need to buy 2 kits ($160+) to make up for the lack of spare parts support, and the tiny bearings for the steering slider rack. But once set up, the car drives rather nice. It's a keeper for me.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RotorTruck
I got my steering rack to move very very easily when using Acer bearings instead of the stock bushings, and a gratuitous amount of Super Lube and Tri Flow in the bearings. Also put a thin teflon washer under the two nuts that hold the rack assembly together. But, once I attached the rack to the tie rods, the steering became much slower. I have the upright screws on the loose side, and the tie rods have a little drag but not much. Hmm...

Besides that it looks like a great car and was fun to build, except the instructions didnt reference which bag the parts were in so a bit of unnecessary searching was in order.

Haven't driven the car yet but will this weekend.
I put shims between the post and bearings, and the bearing and lock nut side. The lock nut is on kind of loose to give it some play per toon's recommendation. The steering linkage needs help too. Try the Tamiya ball adjusters and balls if things dont improve for you. I'm using a S6070 Spektrum servo which has decent speed and torque along with a Kimbrough large servo saver. I have zero steering issue now.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...29-bsr-top.jpg
Old 01-25-2016, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Got the car running, been driving around in dirty parking lot with a 21.5 Trackstar V2. Little car scoots. Braking is impressive, as is acceleration. Must be the power/weight ratio as I've never driven a mini. Can't tell how well it handles for sure, since the surface is very dirty, but so far it seems to respond to steering quite nicely.

Can't wait to get it on the track.

Noticed it's kinda difficult to get it to drive straight, have had to adjust the tie rods several times, and occasionally compensate with transmitter trim. Haven't rolled the car, possibly the speed bumps in the lot that I try to take slowly?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RotorTruck
Got the car running, been driving around in dirty parking lot with a 21.5 Trackstar V2. Little car scoots. Braking is impressive, as is acceleration. Must be the power/weight ratio as I've never driven a mini. Can't tell how well it handles for sure, since the surface is very dirty, but so far it seems to respond to steering quite nicely.

Can't wait to get it on the track.

Noticed it's kinda difficult to get it to drive straight, have had to adjust the tie rods several times, and occasionally compensate with transmitter trim. Haven't rolled the car, possibly the speed bumps in the lot that I try to take slowly?
Yeah, the steering system is not very precise. It's the same way on mine too to a degree. I drove it back to back with my TA05 M-Four and my Sabre4WD Mini and it was night and day difference on how perfectly the M-Four and Sabre drove vs the M-Rage.

But at $75, can't complain. The M-Rage still drives better than my CupRacer, even though the CupRacer tracks straight like my other cars.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Steering. It was wandering all over the track. Changed toe from 1* out to 0*, helped some. Turned out the servo to mount screws were loose, one mount to chassis screw was loose, and the hinge pin holder that the rack mounts to, was loose. Tightened it all up, back to the track soon.

Besides that, it was a hoot to drive. Like the car.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

here is a pretty cool read, found a while back when I was going to build one.

build / review Nanda NRX-12
Old 03-23-2016, 08:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,

Figured I'd share my experience with the M.Rage.
disclaimers:
Check your diffs and shocks and make sure they are assembled properly from the factory, My diffs were built loose and other have reported shocks leaking from just not being tightened enough. First run was fantastic tho, runs like a mini tc3, great fun.

I managed to melt my rear diff as it worked itself loose on my first practice day. I also had to gear down because I was cooking the motor. I am running Tamiya tires so the diameter is a bit larger so that may have been part of the issue. I ended up turning the melted diff into a spool and rebuilt the other with blue loctite and it held up the last 2 races I ran it.

For the price this thing is great, I finished laps ahead of the m-05s I was racing against. Traction was low in the last 2 races so it was no contest. The parts are flexy and I worry about breaking the c-hubs ,a arms or that crappy steering rack but so far seems ok. I have popped out ball cups a bit So I ordered some (allegedly) heavy duty ones on ebay.

The bad;

I'd really like to have spare parts available and things like metal outdrives, the front spool, aluminium steering rack etc but so far all have been back ordered FOREVER. I've looked at other distributors on Bill's thread on ultimate RC but can't find many parts in stock there either. Also as a canadian both currency conversion and shipping restricts the affordability of ordering from anyone but hobbyking...

Anyways, so far I really like this car, it makes the mini class fun again and I'd love to see more hop-ups for this car from third parties and better part support.

Hope this was helpful to anyone reading.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

I was forced too and ended up buying a second kit to use as a spare. per its name, the M-Basher is great for bashing..

I heard from member Dan that Spec-R is planning to release an m-chassis (4WD belt driven similar to my Sabre4WDMini). I'm looking forward to trying that kit as well.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

I heard from member Dan that Spec-R is planning to release an m-chassis (4WD belt driven similar to my Sabre4WDMini). I'm looking forward to trying that kit as well.
really?! -Awesome...
I know Dan, -bought my Sabre Mini 4WD off him!
Old 03-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

Ruined a plastic outdrive, but no the way you'd expect. The outdrive that the ball diff's screw head is in, the screw punched a hole thru the outdrive. So the screw & nut were still tight, just that the screwhead end was free spinning. Since outdrives are unobtanium, I ended up buying a 2nd kit as spares. Still like this kit a lot, so easy to drive and work on. And it's fast. Have a 17.5 Trackstar v2 motor in there and it scoots.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

That sucks RotorTruck, but glad to hear you too got a second kit. I honestly think this chassis can only handle a silver can. I'm just going to stick with the Mabuchi in mine. Still plenty quick.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

For all the M.Rage fans, Hobbyking just got a ton of spare parts in stock, and they're going *fast*.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks again, RotoTruck!~
OVA likes this.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

Say, I need new ball cups that are not from the M.Rage kit. I installed some new kit ball cups, and these bind, bind, and bind. We pinched them with needle nose, pinched again, even took a body reamer to them and they still bind. I couldn't drive the car at practice last night because the rear upper links were sticky, making the rear suspension hang up. Wicked braking spin.

If you have a link to what and where to buy it would be much appreciated, I don't know what size these are.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

RotoTruck - I use below on my steering linkage:

19804206 metal ball joint that looks like this:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...-43514-9804206

50797 5mm short adjuster looks like this:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=50797

Usually TQRacing has them in stock, but they seem to be sold out. I would check eBay stores.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.