Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 01-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #31
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Really guys yet ANOTHER s411 thread. All the other info in the other threads is still applicable. Creating multiple threads (especially when the changes are so minor is pointless). I was dead against the 3.0 thread being created too.
As far as I can see the 4.0 is a different car to the 3.0 to the base S411 and just as XRay T3 has a different thread to T3 12 etc and T4 to T415 and T416 this being a separate thread seems logical so I am not inclined to can the thread but another moderator who runs this section may disagree and it's their call.

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
As far as I can see the 4.0 is a different car to the 3.0 to the base S411 and just as XRay T3 has a different thread to T3 12 etc and T4 to T415 and T416 this being a separate thread seems logical so I am not inclined to can the thread but another moderator who runs this section may disagree and it's their call.
I have 2 of the new cars and trust me it is not a major change. It isn't just me who has this opinion. Anyway not my call just giving an opinion as are others. Xray T3 to T4 is the same as saying Serpent S400 to S411 and so I don't personally agree with your argument.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:56 AM   #33
Tech Adept

Arrow

Quote:
I have 2 of the new cars and trust me it is not a major change. It isn't just me who has this opinion. Anyway not my call just giving an opinion as are others. Xray T3 to T4 is the same as saying Serpent S400 to S411 and so I don't personally agree with your argument.
Guys, Keeping them separated makes all the sense. Just as Serpent made a different page for the car. In life you organize and separate so it's easy to find.

4.0 will have its own quirks and setups. I could see your point if we had seperate threads for Al and carbon chassis, but it's not. So why mingle and make us stumble thru 2.0 - No 0 and 3.0 to stay informed.

Keep it concise and clean. No big deal looking at old stuff if you want. Bro use the other threads. Subscribe, glance at the notes and Just help direct folks and put a hold on the torpedoes
The FastFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:20 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm up the air between this, the T4, and DETC410, hmmm
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:44 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula View Post

Go Serpent! My 4.0 should be here later today, can't wait.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula View Post
It really is a great car. Very forgiving and I'm a firm believer that the Serpent is also the most durable touring car on the market.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Quote:
It really is a great car. Very forgiving and I'm a firm believer that the Serpent is also the most durable touring car on the market.
Positives:
Excellent fit and finish
Large data base to drawer from
Super durable
up-grade part support
4.0 more able to do the asphalt tracks
3.0 great on asphalt
fast on carpet

I ran Serpent Gas two decades ago. Started the 1/10 4wd outlaw class with ROAR. Serpent cars have always been very good! With Joaquin and crew at Serpent America will be bring more support to the Electric car, you'll see the 4.0 more prominent in the winner's circle. Too bad im an old fast gas guy as the car in the hands of an experienced Elec. driver would be top notch. I know you'll see that in the states shortly. Even I had the car flying at our last state series and the fast guys were checking it out. A few months ago and no one gave it a second look here in FLA.
The FastFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #38
Tech Regular

A small review and pictures of my 4.0 build, but more to come!
www.andrefossto.wordpress.com
Andy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Got a chance to see some of the upgrades for the 4.0 finally, some first hand observations;

The Diff O-rings look to be the new x ring low drag items so this should help the diff drag issues and the sealing as well.

The shocks look like they have had quite a bit of upgrade done, from the o-rings to the support inserts. The shock shafts now use c-clips instead of the nut, which I found to be a problem after extended use. The nut would eventually back off slightly and give the shock a weird feel. The pistons themselves look like the are nylon or delrin (white coloured) and appaer to be machined now instead of the black molded ones. These look quite promising.

The top deck has been slightly milled on the bottom of the battery side for a little better battery terminal clearance.

The idler shaft is, well I'm not sure how to describe it. The parts count seems high in comparison to the original one. Although the new idler gears are metal the whole attachment process seems over done. I'm sure there is some reason for this change up and the new one isn't bad and if you hated those c-clips you only have one now and once its installed it should'nt need to be removed for a while.

The chassis plate is the same plate as the 3.0 with the exception of the extra hole for each of the new style "L" suspension mounts.

It is as I stated, the old RRS system will not work with the 4.0 as the new style motor mount uses the extra holes that had been used to attach the RRS bar. Also because the new motor mount is a one piece unit and the front center leg cannot be removed, this will require the chassis stiffner bar, (if you run one) to be modified in order to work with the car. Unless they have a new one of these as well as the re-designed RRS system.

Speaking of the the motor mount, now that the front leg is a permanent piece to the mount should you want more flex with the removal of the screw, now you will probably have to space the top deck up to get it off the leg.

All the plastics are "H" compound.

The DCJ where assembled with proper rotation clips for left and right side use.

Thats about all that I've seen so far, more to follow.
EMR Factory LLC
AWESOME Graphics
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #40
Tech Regular

I uploaded some closer pictures today at www.andrefossto.wordpress.com
I cant upload them to the forum. But those that want some closer pictures, click the link and be free to ask for more pictures!
Old 01-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #41
Tech Adept

I'm considering upgrading my touring car in awhile; crazy question here

I'm not too familiar with Serpent; how does it compare with Xray for example on plastic
quality, slop and parts availability.

I'm sure its a great car though.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinew View Post
I'm considering upgrading my touring car in awhile; crazy question here

I'm not too familiar with Serpent; how does it compare with Xray for example on plastic
quality, slop and parts availability.

I'm sure its a great car though.
Good question but I feel a tad tricky to answer. Years ago I had three successive Xrays and they were fast and strong and built very well overall. I felt a strong value but when something did break or bend it was spendy to fix and that is why I tried other cars. I now run for Serpent and I've owned the S400, then the S411, then the S411 Limited Edition, then the Eryx 2.0, then the 3.0 and now I own a 4.0 Eryx. I feel that the car is as strong for me as my xrays were. I tend to wear out parts more so then break them. The car is much more affordable in most all areas. The cars have a good quality plastic now and many choices as far as options too. The fit is very good but probably not quite as good as Xray but that doesn't mean bad though, just from time to time a little sanding might be needed but its really good for the most part. If you raced for years though like I have, I remember back in the 80's and 90's where we all owned dremels and sanding polishes etc. It was very much test fit, sand then re try back then. Now most cars are very good in this area and I feel Serpent is near the Top for sure.

My Eryx 4.0 build is going very nicely, but I only have short amounts of time due to work for the time being.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv512 View Post
4.0 appears to have very undramatic changes.

Yep and with the 4.0 just being released....there running Xray shocks on it already! looks like there testing for the 5.0 already lol
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0-fri_viktor.jpg  

I'm not a Business man, but I'm the Bizzness man!!!
Sean Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Yep and with the 4.0 just being released....there running Xray shocks on it already! looks like there testing for the 5.0 already lol
No. Those are the new serpent shock just anodised orange. You can tell from the top cap.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:21 AM   #45
Tech Apprentice

No. This are 100% sure not the new serpent shocks. look at the height/width ratio of the photo and the new serpent ones. Xray shocks!
Worst87 is offline   Reply With Quote