Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TL01?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 02:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Tamiya TL01?

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone here races their TL01 on carpet. I just recently got one and I might be getting into racing it on carpet for fun. So what i'd like to know is what setup ya'll have? I'll be runnin a Chameleon motor. Thanks for the help in advance!

PS-I've attached a picture of my TL01 to this post.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TL01?-tl01-body.jpg  
Old 10-27-2002, 02:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nice AUDI,
What is the wing off. Mine came with a boring moulded type wing.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:46 PM
Tech Rookie

I dunno...i'll have to ask the guy i got it from.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok i asked him and he said it is off of a Lamborghini. Looks cool though.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Which track are you going to race at?
Old 10-28-2002, 05:39 AM
Tech Rookie

A local track here called Riverside Raceway. They have Pan Car Ovals, Gearbox stock and mod oval, Spec racing, and touring cars. Pretty cool.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

If you're racing against Pro style cars, get all of the carbon shafts. You'll want adjustable links everywhere, but you should think hard about the long arm kit before you go out and buy the "regular" link set or any other suspension goodies. The LA Kit includes everything you need to have a fully adjustable car including a decent set of sway bars (the original "optional" sway bars bind on the chassis). The kit will still leave you with 180mm width, but if you run the TB01 arms and TA03 axles with the original carriers (or even better the 3 degree toe in rear carriers) you will be about 188 in the front and about 192 in the rear. This makes the car a little more "pushy" but it's easily overcome with spring settings (red rear yellow front, 60 wt oil) and of course some of Tamiya's great oil shocks. If you don't go with the wider option, the car likes yellow springs all around 60 wt oil, tune to taste.

Bearings are obvious they're all 10x15 I think. As far as tires, the TL01 on carpet likes a harder tire than a TC3, as it's higher center of gravity and suspension (especially at 180mm) makes it want to roll over a little easier, run an HPI red insert, or if you have extra money, the tamiya blues are very good as well, Paragon as needed. You'll have to grind the "battery tube" to get side x side packs to fit, I haven't tried this, but I'm told it can be done.

With a Chameleon (that's a 19T I think) you should be able to run a 21 or 23 tooth pinion with the original gears. If you go with the speed tuned gears you'll want to stay with the 19 tooth pinion, everything else IMHO just cooks motors.

Adjust your radio so that you never have full brakes, the car likes to swap ends under really heavy braking, and the faster you go the worse it gets. Stock motors don't show the tendency as much as mods. I ran a 12T in mine for awhile and whoo-wee she was absolutely evil to get slowed down.

I got mine to the point it would turn the same lap times as my MR4TC (admittedly I was pretty abyssmal with both, but they ran even, so I think it was me)

Good luck
-jww
Old 11-11-2002, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Weissjim,

looks like interesting setup you have, mind sharing more of it?
I run TL01 for fun for drifting, tempted to make it fast.
So far I have:
- Carbon shaft
- Full bearings
- Stock chassis/arms/dogbones/outdrives
- CVA shocks
- rear swaybar
- hard inserts with threaded tyres
- Stock 23T Motor with 19T pinion
getting:
- speed tune gears
- ???

Tried 17T motor on it but lacks punch out of corner, and not much different in top speed. Overall I still feel the car is a bit heavy...any advise/tune tips?
thanks.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

weissjim,

Hello fellow Washingtonian. I'm thinking about getting the new TL01LA for fun. Just how well can it keep up with the TA04 using a stock motor? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

i have a ff02 and a tl01.
i first got my tl01 before i herd that the ff02 was faster than teh tl01 on straights and high speeds tracks. I then transfered my tl01 hop-ups over to my ff02. long arms span 20 turn forw/revs esc. i raced my friends tl01 on his street, which he had a team-orion 19x2 rush( needed new brushes) and ball bearings. my cars has way better accelaration but after a while he would catch up and kill me...but if was a course, then i would have conered before he could catch up and so would make my car faster. but the ff02 lacks streering..it understreers big time! i didn't have teh ta03 super low friction dampers because i was afraid it would get damage. but is very fun to drive. i'm now switching over to my TL01 and hoping it up to the max.

light weight chassie
carbon gears and prop. shaft.
ball bearings
ball diffs
unvrs. (front)
quick release batts. holder
high trouqe servo saver

check out my pics :http://groups.msn.com/tl01andff02/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

thanks

Last edited by sengming; 11-12-2002 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

anyone has fast setup to share?
yeah, i guess the light chassis can be considered as well....I just don't feel that much diff than the original ones.
my hop list:
- speed tune gears
- 12x1 Motor
- TL01-LA A arms, uprights
- TA03 front univs???
- Aluminium shocks???
the gear diff is quite smooth, so far quite okie, don't know whether the balldiff is lighter...well most probably it should be. I guess the gear diff is a lot tougher though.

sengming, mind share with me, what's the part nos for the ball diff part? And what's with 'carbon gears'?
thanks
Old 11-13-2002, 04:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok
the ball diffs are from the ta03 and i guess you would have to buy two of them for the fron and the rear.
tamiya ta03 ball diffs set NO.53267

and the carbon gears are the shafts that are place inside the speed tunes gears. the carbon gears are hollow and much ligther on your drivetrain.
the carbon prop. shaft is also lighter and i think hollow and replace the big siver one on the right side of the car.

carbon gear shaft NO.53322
carbon propeller shaft. NO.53323

so is the lightweight chassie, and the front univs anygood? strong? faster? handles better?
thanks
Old 11-13-2002, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Yo sengming,
thanks for the part nos.
and the carbon gear+hollow shaft explanation.

I have yet to compare the weight of univs to dogbones plus (wheel axle??). Only thing so far I see is that univs won't pop out like dogbones did, especially in front.
So I'm guessing again that the TA03 univs only works with the LA arms.
What about the uprights? u using stock ones or change them to LA version as well?

May I know what is your motor spec n gearing like? what kind of track you're runnin?

thanks again.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

wow wow....so down their GTO2 but it's good to know that someone think's i'm a pro...YES!!!....

i haven't touched a race track yet i've only raced in front of my friends house. i really want to get down to the track soon, it's an indoor carpet track i've herd about. i'm to young to drive, and my parent are too busy. i'm still runing stock motor: 540 and stock gearing. i'm using LA uprights cause i have the LA kit.

thanks
Old 11-13-2002, 07:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry, been out on other threads (shame on me)

GTO2: I'll post some pics as soon as I get them finished. I screwed up on my original post, I'm running the stock TL01 rear arms on the front instead of the TB01 arms, the TB01 arms leave you a little short.

TL01LA: The TL01LA is competitive with the TA04S with similar hop-ups. Frankly with equal drivers (Masami at a club race beats everyone), tires (traction not part numbers), inserts, gearing, batteries and motors you should be able to run even especially on pavement. The TA04R is very quick and very tuneable out of the box, you'll have your work cut out for you to compete with it given equal drivers, etc.. You can make a TL01 work as well, but you'll spend more bench time figuring it out.

I just bought some sidexsides and will start grinding on the chassis this week to get them to fit. I don't run TCS, so I can get away with this. If you want to run TCS do not grind the chassis. GT1 is a very tough place for the TL01 to compete IMHO due to its instability under braking, if you could get that ironed out, you may be able to play.

You have to have a certain sense of humor with the TL01 though, and put in a little more sweat to get it to work, but it's a blast to pull the body off and have people gasp that they were fighting to stay with a TL01.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.