The "Thats it!!! Get the F_*K out of Stock!!!" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "Thats it!!! Get the F_*K out of Stock!!!" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Mr. Jim....will you be attending the 2007 carpet Invite...at the gate...
Old 03-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

YES I AM....... I am sooooo looking forward to it...... and since it's not DEER season, I should make it home safely.......... LMAO
Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im going to jump in and drop my random retard statement now...

Leave club racing as club racing: I think we can make up our own minds on what to do on a week by week basis

As for big races/sanctioned races:
This is a sport not unlike NASCAR or basketball. Its not fair that I have to compete in the same class as someone who races for a living, but life isnt fair and Im not crying about that.

I think that their NEEDS to be a national ranking system and their NEEDS to be racing classes based on this ranking system. dividing racing abilities by motor design is downright retarded. Just look at 1:1 scale racing for a model. You get a beginer license, and then work your way up. You start with a showroom stock car and as you get better the motor/car restrictions loosen, until you are driving carbon fiber wonder machines at 200+mph.

Using a motor to divide class abilities is putting the cart before the horse. If I have credentials to race mod then I should be able to race in stock, and everywhere else, except in an amatuer/beginer class

Ive got more. Like using vehicle design to seperate classes as well (similar to the TCS tour), but thats for anouther response
Old 03-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

iv seen some tracks in the u.s and i think there a little small to be running mod,
where i run id like to run mod but its more work on motors and stuff.
oh i do run 1/12 19t
some say this is like stock but i think its fast enough.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Speedyjay, do you realize you contradicted yourself?

You describe in real racing how the classes are divided by skill level and equipment. You compare a showroom stock to a all out race car. Yet you don't want RC to divide based on motor.

Despite what anyone tells you, stock was always supposed to be the beginner or entry level class. Somewhere along the way racers got lazy and decided to stay in stock rather than move up to mod. Pro racers, or I should say highly skilled racers, who stay in stock are stunting the growth of the hobby, especially in on road.

Why is nitro so popular? Because there is no slow class. Everyone has to run the fast class.

Why is off road so popular? Because it's more about driving than about motor tuning skills.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Despite what anyone tells you, stock was always supposed to be the beginner or entry level class.

Who told you that lie! The NOVICE/amature/begginers class was for the new guy. But at a NATIONAL event there are none of those classes. So By Default every one "WANTS" stk. to be for the new guys...ITS NOT, not at a national level! At the Club level yeah I will give that one too you.

To me the problem came when MOST tracks stopped having a NOVICE class, and then everyone thought by default that STK. was the "NEW NOVICE" or begginers class.

When I started racing, at my local track there were 4 classes:
Novice
Stk.
PRO. Stk.
Mod

To move from Novice to stk. you had to win 3 A-mains on the weekly club races, to move from Stk. to Pro. Stk you had to win 5 A-mains. Mod was still pretty much open to anyone that wanted to run it. But the track owner wasn't gonna let you run Mod. your first race day there that was for sure..LOL

WEll after a few years some of the "new" guys coming in didn't like the "Novice" title since they had been "playing" with RC stuff, planes, boats what not. But had NEVER competed at a "TRACK" they felt they were not "NOVICE" you know they were better than that...

So the track owner to make them happy just did away with the "novice" class and it was now just Stk., Pro. stk. and mod...then when the entries started to fall off, for what ever reason it went to just stk. and mod. Well fast forward a few years and 19t entered the picture.....

Then the classes went to stk., 19t and mod. and it was open for anyone to enter any class they wanted. The "Pro Stk" migrated to 19t and the newer guys ran stk. Now you have the guys that have the "stk. is for the new guys" attitude......

And now here we are! After EVERY big race we see these threads!

NOW do I feel that after you have won the same STK. race 2-3-4 years in a row should you move up! YES, but it should be because you want to BETTER yourself! You know the "push yourself" thing. To see if you can actually move up and compete. Which most that do/have, have done so with great results.

Also if in the same year you win stk. TC at more than one of the "big seven" races you should want to move up...but really should you be forced too...maybe, maybe not!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by imprsme
Who told you that lie! The NOVICE/amature/begginers class was for the new guy. But at a NATIONAL event there are none of those classes. So By Default every one "WANTS" stk. to be for the new guys...ITS NOT, not at a national level! At the Club level yeah I will give that one too you.

To me the problem came when MOST tracks stopped having a NOVICE class, and then everyone thought by default that STK. was the "NEW NOVICE" or begginers class.

When I started racing, at my local track there were 4 classes:
Novice
Stk.
PRO. Stk.
Mod

To move from Novice to stk. you had to win 3 A-mains on the weekly club races, to move from Stk. to Pro. Stk you had to win 5 A-mains. Mod was still pretty much open to anyone that wanted to run it. But the track owner wasn't gonna let you run Mod. your first race day there that was for sure..LOL

WEll after a few years some of the "new" guys coming in didn't like the "Novice" title since they had been "playing" with RC stuff, planes, boats what not. But had NEVER competed at a "TRACK" they felt they were not "NOVICE" you know they were better than that...

So the track owner to make them happy just did away with the "novice" class and it was now just Stk., Pro. stk. and mod...then when the entries started to fall off, for what ever reason it went to just stk. and mod. Well fast forward a few years and 19t entered the picture.....

Then the classes went to stk., 19t and mod. and it was open for anyone to enter any class they wanted. The "Pro Stk" migrated to 19t and the newer guys ran stk. Now you have the guys that have the "stk. is for the new guys" attitude......

And now here we are! After EVERY big race we see these threads!

NOW do I feel that after you have won the same STK. race 2-3-4 years in a row should you move up! YES, but it should be because you want to BETTER yourself! You know the "push yourself" thing. To see if you can actually move up and compete. Which most that do/have, have done so with great results.

Also if in the same year you win stk. TC at more than one of the "big seven" races you should want to move up...but really should you be forced too...maybe, maybe not!
When I started racing there was stock, mod, and expert. It was generally accepted that stock was for beginners. Mod was for the regular racers, and expert was for those with the talent to move from the local to the national scene.

At national level races that changes. The local king of the hill may not be able to compete with the "pros." At that level he would be better off in stock with the rest of the not really sponsored racers. If he does well he may be able to pick up a national sponsor or two and move into the pro level classes.

This keeps coming up because this is a real problem with no easy answer. We all run stock because we're too lazy to learn how to run mod.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Is it nitro season yet?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speedyjay
Im going to jump in and drop my random retard statement now...

Leave club racing as club racing: I think we can make up our own minds on what to do on a week by week basis

As for big races/sanctioned races:
This is a sport not unlike NASCAR or basketball. Its not fair that I have to compete in the same class as someone who races for a living, but life isnt fair and Im not crying about that.

I think that their NEEDS to be a national ranking system and their NEEDS to be racing classes based on this ranking system. dividing racing abilities by motor design is downright retarded. Just look at 1:1 scale racing for a model. You get a beginer license, and then work your way up. You start with a showroom stock car and as you get better the motor/car restrictions loosen, until you are driving carbon fiber wonder machines at 200+mph.

Using a motor to divide class abilities is putting the cart before the horse. If I have credentials to race mod then I should be able to race in stock, and everywhere else, except in an amatuer/beginer class

Ive got more. Like using vehicle design to seperate classes as well (similar to the TCS tour), but thats for anouther response
Unfortunately, real racing doesn't work that way either. I ran SCCA enough years to know. Look at the SCCA runoffs and look who is usually at the top in Showroom stock. Yeah, guys with factory rides and or connections. Ever heard of Don Knowles ? Is that sand bagging ? Then there was the kid I instructed in a school at Willow Springs in a IT car that 2 weeks later was driving a three rotor GTO Mazda RX-7 at a Portland IMSA race. Yeah, Daddy had lots of bucks. Chevy and other big manufactures put big bucks into Showroom stock for the win on Sunday sell on Monday bang for their buck. R/C motor / battery / chassis, etc. manufactures have the same desire.

Why bag on a person for running a certain class ? Does it make others feel better about themselves? Does it really hurt the sport ? Why can't we run the class we want, where we want, at the budget level we want and just all get along ?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

when i first started racing years ago....i raced stock......and yes there were guys there that were smoking fast.....but also when i first started racing there were 2 types of stock racing.....novice and expert...

yopu raced novice untill you did so many laps on a consistent basis...then you would move up to expert....

as for people doing things to stock motors to make them go faster...i have been in the r/c thing for awhile now..i have searched and talked with many people about it......truthfully there only a few things you can do to a stocker to make sure they perform fast......

brush hood aligment,
brush/spring combination of youre choice....

keep racing and do youre thing and have fun with it..

matt
Old 03-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Kevin understands the hobby very well....

Why bag on a person for running a certain class ? Does it make others feel better about themselves? Does it really hurt the sport ? Why can't we run the class we want, where we want, at the budget level we want and just all get along ?
If you want to see somebody other than the fast pros winning the stock class races, then beat them.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speedyjay
. Just look at 1:1 scale racing for a model. You get a beginer license, and then work your way up. You start with a showroom stock car and as you get better the motor/car restrictions loosen, until you are driving carbon fiber wonder machines at 200+mph.

Wrong. At the amateur level, you can get any car you can afford. It has nothing to do with your experience level.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Scrubb
If you want to see somebody other than the fast pros winning the stock class races, then beat them.
How?

Two things about a pro level driver. First, he has much better driving skills, that's a given. But second, he also knows exactly what to do to get the most performance out of a stock motor. The average racer doesn't know and doesn't want to bother with springs, brushes, whatever. Most people who buy brushless motors are tired of cutting comms every run. You go out on the track with a pro guy and it's obvious he's got 2000 more RPM than you do, what hope do you have of even competing with him.

Not to mention that totally destroys the concept of everyone running with the same power!

I would rather see 19 turn become the everyone runs class, and leave 27 turn as the entry level and the guys who just race for fun class.

And yes it does hurt the hobby. I know many people who won't race because they know they have no chance.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

To be completely honest when ever one of the brushless is unfair in stock class I really want to just go in and say how about every body just get over it and run mod. I'll admit I wouldn't fall into the expert class, but defenetly not novice and I would rather run mod any day of the week over stock. If you want to be up with the fastest in stock you have to have the best batteries, the lightest car preaty much the best everything but for mod if you need to go faster just motor up. Now sure that is only true to an extent because you will have a tough time keeping up with the cheapest car and electronics on the market but still.
If you are fast you should run mod at your local club or track but if you aren't fast enough to run with the mod guys at a national level then run stock at the national level but not at your local track. Plus running mod should help you when you have to run stock. To me though stock just isn't as much as mod.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Here comes an idea.....

Why not do away with Stock at the National level.... Only run 19T and Mod...

My point, if stock is not ran then the pros or club pros, would not want enter it at the club level.... Why would they, they can not go aware with it, but to race at the club and state level.... If you are going to a national event, you should be able to compete with a 19T car... Your skills should be good enough for this...

sorry - Yes, I know that stock is the largest class, but really if you do not have it, don't you think people would just move over to 19T?

Just a thought....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.