R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2005, 07:39 PM   #46
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

I don't think you need to split the classes at a club level...but at a National level.

Does it really feel like a great accomplishment if you win a stock championship if you are a factory sponsered driver that can easily compete at the highest level?

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCapece
Blackkat hit the nail on the head. Only way to get faster, is to get beat by better drivers and try to keep up. It's the same in RC as it is in EVERY SINGLE SPORT EVER PLAYED.
Thats BS........... So I should go play BBall against players in the NBA ??? A progression needs to take place. Like go play people at the local park, then play in highschool,college then go play the NBA....... Same should apply for RC. Race stock, then 19t, and then move on to mod......... Do you really think its a challenge for a NBA pro to play some one that just picked up a ball ??
stumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

The On Road committee has this still in discussion. Like EddieO said, there has been a lack of agreement on the points. Nothing will be in place for this upcoming season, and NOTHING has been agreed upon.

IMHO, the stock winners should move up. We are talking about National Level events here, and the people that TRAVEL to multiple National Level events,and make the A, are most likely factory drivers. There are many fine points to discuss and this will not be an easily resolved issue, There is the other side of the coin too, how can we push people into mod, when we know they will be slaughtered. ...

As far as filler classes, run 12th, maybe it will not die off at the larger events. Mod 12th is getting smaller and smaller because the pro guys would rather run a pro19 class then run 12th...

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard hudson
I disagree with this rule. If your at a large race like lets say the recent IIC in vegas for example. If you dont run two classes you have a ;long wait ahead of you. I ran 19t rubber and stock rubber as a filler class( which i sucked at both ) but not letting the pro guys run 19t as a filler class would not be fair to them . Now the issue about the top 5 rule is just silly. Thats like telling a prize fighter " well you won last time so you cant defend your title " As far as the lifetime stock racers If they wanted to move up they should. They should help them selves to be faster. Some guys are just happy in stock.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #49
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Better yet just get rid of stock class all together. At big races throw everyone into one class except for the factory guys. At club races have a novice class to seperate the fast guys from the slow to avoid crashes. Newbies can start out with a cheapo 19 turn mod and as they get better they can slowly move into faster motors. The last thing anybody needs is more classes.

Don't you think you learn faster running mod then running stock year after year?
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:52 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

First, I gotta say, I wouldn't be upset if ROAR starts requiring drivers to move up to 19T once they've made the top 5 in stock at the Nats. (Like Eric, I'm right outside that window by finishing 9th in the A this year in touring stock, so obviously I'm not complaining. ) In any case I personally am glad to see guys like Darroch, Smyka and Peter step it up in 19T and mod. It just adds some more talent into the mod pool which often is only a few mains deep at large events.

I thought Vegas was killer with Smyka and Darroch both running well after only running mod for a very short time. To me Smyka's HP in mod was some of the fastest looking stuff there.

Back to the topic, it always amazes me when I hear guys complain over and over about 'special brushes' and 'high-end batteries'. I'm telling you, I've sent stuff out this past week to customers that's equal or better than what's in my box right now. I know other matching outfits are doing the same.

Back in the 80s and early 90s it was different: the difference in equipment between the common guy and the factory driver was greater. NOW, there are so many choices with the Web and so much good (and bad) information passing through the forums so quickly, anyone can have a shot at making an A in stock at a national event if they are an excellent wheel and can set their car up properly and have plenty of practice.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:56 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumper
Thats BS........... So I should go play BBall against players in the NBA ??? A progression needs to take place. Like go play people at the local park, then play in highschool,college then go play the NBA....... Same should apply for RC. Race stock, then 19t, and then move on to mod......... Do you really think its a challenge for a NBA pro to play some one that just picked up a ball ??

How did you take my post that far out of context? I NEVER said a basketball freshman should take on the NBA.

So when YOU are playing basketball, do you practice by beating a bunch of 12 year olds everyday? Or do you play with people better than yourself so you can push your skills and improve?
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:56 PM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
For those that complain about "old fogies" and "lifers" in the stock class, then maybe the complainers need to get the "nads" and patience to get where they are. Yes stock is expensive... so is mod... so is this whole friggen hobby. Whats your point? Division of the classes will only make the hobby die even more. If we cant fill novice classes offered now... what makes you think "forcing" a novice class by ROAR/IFMAR will work?? People run what they want to run, or they wont run, its always been that way. The actual truth is... if you aint skeered, then run the class... no matter what it is. Everybody cant win. Its racing. Take your licks, and come back next week. The "lifers" already have... for years. Its just that some people want it handed to them on a platter. In this remote control, microwave food world we live in... you want that trophy without a sweat. Grab a towel.

- DaveW
Dave, this post isn't about Debbies. We have 19T and 1/12th 19T. Those plus stock equal enough choice. My gist is that the US isn't fielding good enough mod / rubber indoor drivers worldwide. Plus the fact that "Stock" is anything but.

I sense a nerve was hit?

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:58 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Let me add one more thing: a lot of newbies and novices fantasize about mod being this great class for even average drivers. It's simply not.

Guys, if you have trouble wheeling a stock motor car without crashing, mod will be your worst nightmare: cars break much, much more easily, drivetrains wear out more quickly, motors throw winds and HP really aggravates handling problems.

Back in the early 90s a lot more people were running mod and it was very frustrating. Guys were all over the place and the racing was a mess IMO. Fun is a tricky word--this may have qualified as fun to some, but in a demolition derby kind of way. Running stock for a while before moving up teaches you patience and also consistency of lines--you can't make up time in stock with HP. At large events, every single corner counts.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #54
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Jon, you are right about mod being your worst nighmare if you cannot wheel the car good enough. That said , this thread is about guys that CAN wheel a car with great skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Williams
Let me add one more thing: a lot of newbies and novices fantasize about mod being this great class for even average drivers. It's simply not.

Guys, if you have trouble wheeling a stock motor car without crashing, mod will be your worst nightmare: cars break much, much more easily, drivetrains wear out more quickly, motors throw winds and HP really aggravates handling problems.

Back in the early 90s a lot more people were running mod and it was very frustrating. Guys were all over the place and the racing was a mess IMO. Fun is a tricky word--this may have qualified as fun to some, but in a demolition derby kind of way. Running stock for a while before moving up teaches you patience and also consistency of lines--you can't make up time in stock with HP. At large events, every single corner counts.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Tim, I hear your concern about being slaughtered: again, I think that point has been overdramatized. Like I said in my previous post, look at Mark Smyka and Ray Darroch. Both of those guys were consistently fast stock champs with Ray winning several national titles. They've only moved up to mod in the last few months and already Smyka was in the Bs or Cs at Vegas, Darroch was in the B (mod) and A (19T) at Vegas, both A's at the Paved Nats and both mod A's at the Classic two weeks ago. That's pretty darn good for their first time moving up.

I suspect guys like Dayger and Cuffs will also fare very, very well because they know setup and are natural talents.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:04 PM   #56
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCapece
How did you take my post that far out of context? I NEVER said a basketball freshman should take on the NBA.

So when YOU are playing basketball, do you practice by beating a bunch of 12 year olds everyday? Or do you play with people better than yourself so you can push your skills and improve?
Because you said RC is like EVERY SPORT PLAYED ............. And by your example about 12yr olds is why pro level drivers shouldnt be in stock......Why are pros in stock ? To beat up on the little guys ???
stumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #57
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdapart
So far I cannot see ANY reason for people who can navigate around a track well to not do it any faster.

Hell yeah!

I usually run stock TC, mostly cuz I suck at it, but I will forever have a spot in my heart for mod offroad......Such fun........
Phatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:15 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumper
Because you said RC is like EVERY SPORT PLAYED ............. And by your example about 12yr olds is why pro level drivers shouldnt be in stock......Why are pros in stock ? To beat up on the little guys ???

At National events, the "little guys" are still going to be some of the top drivers at their local tracks. And who are the beating up on? A-C mains are still on the same lap. I was saying that they can only "really" improve by moving into mod and getting their butt kicked for a few years before they become competitive. That's the way it is in all sports: someone starts as a beginner, and improves by playing in more competitive environments and continually losing to better players. Once they can beat those better players, then they advance to playing even better competitors. If you can, name a sport where someone is considered great by winning in amateur events and never moving to the pro's.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatkat
Hell yeah!

I usually run stock TC, mostly cuz I suck at it, but I will forever have a spot in my heart for mod offroad......Such fun........

Mod 2wd buggy is crazy fun.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #60
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Williams
Darroch was in the B (mod) and A (19T) at Vegas, both A's at the Paved Nats and both mod A's at the Classic two weeks ago. That's pretty darn good for their first time moving up.

I suspect guys like Dayger and Cuffs will also fare very, very well because they know setup and are natural talents.
Doesn't that tell you that maybe he should have moved up a long time ago?
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote