R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #31
Tech Adept

I like running against the really fast guys. The really fast guys come down to stock and run two or three laps more than the normal stock guys can. They are fantastic drivers, and it motivates me as a new racer to go fatser, make less mistakes, be more consistent, and develope a better car and gear. Does it get old losing all the time? Not for me, not as long as I keep improving and I improve more buy chasing the fastest guys.

I am still anxious to see more people run mod though. Because when I get better I sure as hell want to run mod. Just for fun I practiced with a 9 turn a few weeks ago. WOW, that is so cool.
beerbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:37 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The problem is where there is no "novice" class, then a new driver has no choice but to compete with the "expert" stock drivers.

Originally, Stock was intended as a low-cost formula, but it has been many long years since it was like that.

If a club has enough regular racers to run both a Novice AND Stock class, then obviously that's the way to go - just ensure that the known good stock drivers are forbidden from running in the Novice class.

Where I race all of our local clubs run a Novice style class - using the silver 540 motors and it's very good for beginners. Unfrotunately you get guys staying in the class for years because they can win all the time - this is when they need to be told to move up!
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #33
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

From what I have heard there will be rules written in the ROAR rule book (For what ROAR's worth) for Stock, 19 and mod drivers. Something along the lines of top 5 in stock cant run stock the next year at a national and so on. Also one for a certain number of top Mod drivers cant run 19 turn. Its not a perfect system but its a step in the right direction. It will help get the lifetime stock racers out of stock and the Pro mod guys from droping down and running 19 turn.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:45 PM   #34
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

I agree, get the HELL out of Stock! That way I may be able to move up to the A
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
From what I have heard there will be rules written in the ROAR rule book (For what ROAR's worth) for Stock, 19 and mod drivers. Something along the lines of top 5 in stock cant run stock the next year at a national and so on. Also one for a certain number of top Mod drivers cant run 19 turn. Its not a perfect system but its a step in the right direction. It will help get the lifetime stock racers out of stock and the Pro mod guys from droping down and running 19 turn.

EA
Is this why your sand bagging in 6th to get the glory in 2007...

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I think the most important thing (man I feel like Ive typed this so mnay times before...) is for the US and ROAR to identify our best young drivers and have a coaching/mentor system set-up. The coaching system is to make sure this brilliant 13 yr old kid not only has IFMAR Worlds winning potential, but that he gets good grades and understands about good sportsmanship, pressure, havin a good time, etc. as well as how to wheel!!!

Also-as ive said before-If I could wheel like some of the semi-pro stock drivers I race against at the big races-I'd go Mod and try and win National and international titles, but thats just me!! I believe in goals and stepping up.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #37
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag
Is this why your sand bagging in 6th to get the glory in 2007...
No actually this is my first year running Road course full time. I got rid of the oval stuff after the snowbirds. Im still learing the patience stuff!!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, we need some kind of stock class classification system, so the race directors either local or nat's can weed out the sandbaggers!
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:06 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For those that complain about "old fogies" and "lifers" in the stock class, then maybe the complainers need to get the "nads" and patience to get where they are. Yes stock is expensive... so is mod... so is this whole friggen hobby. Whats your point? Division of the classes will only make the hobby die even more. If we cant fill novice classes offered now... what makes you think "forcing" a novice class by ROAR/IFMAR will work?? People run what they want to run, or they wont run, its always been that way. The actual truth is... if you aint skeered, then run the class... no matter what it is. Everybody cant win. Its racing. Take your licks, and come back next week. The "lifers" already have... for years. Its just that some people want it handed to them on a platter. In this remote control, microwave food world we live in... you want that trophy without a sweat. Grab a towel.

- DaveW
Old 11-10-2005, 07:17 PM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
I don't think it's because Americans aren't as good of a talent, we just don't put NEAR as much effort into testing racing, etc. Does it piss you off that there is not a succesful American in F1 racing??
It kinda dissapoints me our country can be so into something like baseball but not care about racing.

Quote:
Everybody cant win. Its racing. Take your licks, and come back next week. The "lifers" already have
You learn more by getting your ass handed to you then you do winning novice. Just keep comming back for more & keep practicing. You'll get even better, even faster.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #41
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tell me, what kinda of Novice kid is going to go run at an event like SNOWBIRDS.....its $70 entry fee, plus rooms, and a week of racing....give me a break.

Super secret brushes? Give me a break again.....Peter, Jeff, Drew, etc....all have been winning with 767, 4499, or the F-brush....all available for $3 a pair of LESS....

Buy 5 or 6 motors? Well....most events you can only buy 3....Carpet Nats 2005....Peter bought 1 extra motor, just in case he blew one.....he built ONE and won....the other sits in our shop unused....

At big races.....the guys running stock....I don't have a problem with. Peter Robinson, your 2005 Carpet Nats champ....runs mod and sometimes 19t at home.....he has ran stock once, at a local track that isn't very big and has no mod drivers....

The Progression system as we called it, in the ROAR Onroad comittee....well, none of us could agree really and excomm took no action.

Later EddieO
Old 11-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Novice and newbie's run 27 turns for Stock racing

Intermidiate run 19 turns for Advanced racing

Pro's run Mod for way Advanced racing.

Keep in mind that we as consumers use up a lot of stock motors. This is why the big companies send there factory racers to run stock. Winning the big races turns into BIG dollars for the manufacturer.

Tom
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:23 PM   #43
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think the biggest problem is there are too many damn classes. If it was just stock and mod like the old days I think you would have the fast guys running mod and the guys that are trying to be fast in stock. With the whole foam tire, rubber tire, stock, 19T, mod, mini, 1/12th scale thing it just divides up the racers too much. Most tracks and clubs these days can't field enough people to run all those classes and don't have enough people to run a mod class regularly, so the good drivers just run 19T or stock.

Ditch the touring cars, ditch the 19t motors, run 1/12th scale stock and mod, and all will be well in the RC world
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:25 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Blackkat hit the nail on the head. Only way to get faster, is to get beat by better drivers and try to keep up. It's the same in RC as it is in EVERY SINGLE SPORT EVER PLAYED.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #45
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports

EA
I disagree with this rule. If your at a large race like lets say the recent IIC in vegas for example. If you dont run two classes you have a ;long wait ahead of you. I ran 19t rubber and stock rubber as a filler class( which i sucked at both ) but not letting the pro guys run 19t as a filler class would not be fair to them . Now the issue about the top 5 rule is just silly. Thats like telling a prize fighter " well you won last time so you cant defend your title " As far as the lifetime stock racers If they wanted to move up they should. They should help them selves to be faster. Some guys are just happy in stock.

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote