Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The "Thats it!!! Get the F_*K out of Stock!!!" thread >

The "Thats it!!! Get the F_*K out of Stock!!!" thread

The "Thats it!!! Get the F_*K out of Stock!!!" thread

Old 11-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

ok i would like to add my 02 cents i race gas now but i used to race stock and mod and i used to be the guy that was fast at club night but slow at big events and i used to get pissed off at a big event learning that stock racers were running thin tranny gears (offroad) eventually i got so into being fast and getting sponsored that it ruined the hobby for me and i quit racing. since my 5 years off i have had time to relfect and see that it was my fault. i could get beat in stock and blame it on batteries or gears or anything, but i never blamed myself. i never went and said oh i ran a perfect race and even though i ran a perfect race never crashed and still got fourth i never said well i ran a good race but there were a few places i could have pushed a little harder. i'll be faster next time. and people need to face the facts that stock is an expensive class to run at a national level. more expensive than mod. so just run mod at a big event. i think battery rules need to be implemented. the factory teams know what your up against running stock if you shine they will find you. people need to realize that winning a r/c race at a national level is not easy. people may win on a club night but a national is big time you have to really try hard and be lucky to win a national it IS NOT EASY. and just because your in the "b" main doesn't mean you didn't do good that is 10-20 out of over 100 serious drivers a big accomplishment.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Why not just hand out motors at all big events that have a "stock" class....

I think this has already been said.

The horse is dead!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rocket42
ok i would like to add my 02 cents i race gas now but i used to race stock and mod and i used to be the guy that was fast at club night but slow at big events and i used to get pissed off at a big event learning that stock racers were running thin tranny gears (offroad) eventually i got so into being fast and getting sponsored that it ruined the hobby for me and i quit racing. since my 5 years off i have had time to relfect and see that it was my fault. i could get beat in stock and blame it on batteries or gears or anything, but i never blamed myself. i never went and said oh i ran a perfect race and even though i ran a perfect race never crashed and still got fourth i never said well i ran a good race but there were a few places i could have pushed a little harder. i'll be faster next time. and people need to face the facts that stock is an expensive class to run at a national level. more expensive than mod. so just run mod at a big event. i think battery rules need to be implemented. the factory teams know what your up against running stock if you shine they will find you. people need to realize that winning a r/c race at a national level is not easy. people may win on a club night but a national is big time you have to really try hard and be lucky to win a national it IS NOT EASY. and just because your in the "b" main doesn't mean you didn't do good that is 10-20 out of over 100 serious drivers a big accomplishment.
Stock more expensive than mod at a national level? From what I've experienced at every big race I've found the opposite to be true. You use many more tires and batteries, the motors are more expensive and the cars break more. The only reason mod would be less expensive is that most of the drivers running it seriously are fully sponsored as opposed to stock racers who are mostly 50% off guys.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Mod should be more expensive at big races, and cheaper on the club level.

1. New tires every run during practice and qualifying for mod.
2. New brushes every run during practice and racing.
3. You have to push harder which means more breakage in practice and racing.

whereas in stock at big events:

1. Handout motors.
2. Depending on brush/spring combos, some motors are better w/ several runs on a set of brushes.
3. Tires are good for atleast 2-3 runs in practice.
4. Almost no parts breakage all week.

But on a club level, stock will be more expensive b/c:

1. You need to have many motors.
2. Everyone is underpowered, so new brushes every 2-3 runs.
3. Must have high voltage packs to run at the top.

whereas mod

1. Just one motor w/ several different turn arms.
2. Only high runtime packs.

That's just my take after running some mod off-road and talking w/ mod touring drivers.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Tech Addict

At a club level where traction is lower you burn through tires soooo fast in mod its ridiculous. The batteries are annhilitated after relatively few runs and small mistakes result in instant breakage. With alot of the brush combos in mod you are cutting and rebrushing every run at a club level just to keep the comm from gumming up. There is no way running mod is ever more economical than running stock.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eforer
At a club level where traction is lower you burn through tires soooo fast in mod its ridiculous. The batteries are annhilitated after relatively few runs and small mistakes result in instant breakage. With alot of the brush combos in mod you are cutting and rebrushing every run at a club level just to keep the comm from gumming up. There is no way running mod is ever more economical than running stock.

Yes, tires can burn off the goodness pretty quick, but if you setup the car for the worn tires, then the wear isn't that big a deal. Who told you the batteries are annhilitated after a short period? I've seen an AE driver set a track record with Panasonic 3000's this spring. Yes, you have to cut the comm every run, but atleast you don't have to rebrush. And if you need to run super high power brushes, then maybe you could run longer wear brushes and go down a turn or two.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Mabe you could just handicap the fast guys.
Oh, wait, thats golf.
Just race, thats why they call it racing and not golf!!
Fred
Old 11-17-2005, 01:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My Local tracks have always had a seperate class for stock racers.. the fast guys run stock foam, and the average guys runs stock rubber.. the rubber tires keep the cost down and the feild pretty level..Before they went to foam they had stock and pro stock rubber..

I dont run touring anymore, but i did for a few years.. I would rather go to a big race and see an a main stacked with big names.. If i was fortunate enough to make the show, or at least be somewhere in the middle of them big names i would feel alot better about my accomplishments then if i was in the middle of average guys..

Rc racing at a national level is a sport.. its not a hobby..It is where manufacturers make there names and money..This is how it is.. Wins sell products..I run 4 cell oval stock. This class comes down to who can tune a chassis the best .. you can only go so fast with 4 cell..I see it week after week, guys who use average equipment and there close to the top int he classes..

If you really have skills, you shouldnt worry about who runs the class.. sugar coating classes so everyone can walk away feeling good is not what this sport is about. Tell me this would you rather tell your buds you went to a national race and beat john doe, or would you rather say you were 2 seconds off guys like smyka,cuffs ect..

the fact of the matter is we need these big players in every class. Name like this not only give us something to shoot for , but it makes us try harder.. If you ask any racer out there who si competitive they eventually want to get sponsored.. doing well against these guys will definatley get you closer to that goal..

Last edited by burbs; 11-17-2005 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:11 AM
Tech Regular

There ya go, that's the right idea. Its like the F1 guys who were pumped about their runs at the US grand prix. No one races and all a couple of the junk teams get good finishes........ How could you be satisfied with that? If I race I want to beat the best, who cares if their sponsored. That makes me want to beat them more.

First off, these guys don't have it as good as you think, they don't have freak stuff. The advantage used to be batteries but you can buy those good enough to win a big race. Its about the time and effort these racers have put in to be able to run fast consistently. As for getting out of stock.... well, some people just aren't cut out for mod racing and the people that aren't wont waste there time going to races having to run mod and not enjoying themselves. This hobby IS about fun isnt it?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:34 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
also in 86 when Losi as their own company and store Ranch Pit Stop started importing the Yokomo Dogfighter YZ-10, AE took Losi to court. more or less...AE claimed it was the soul importer of all YOK stuff. Losi fought their ground on the bases that AE had no intention of importing anything other than the motors. no one won (but the lawyers) or lost. infact within a year Losi i think was selling their REVOLUTION motor based on the YOk can
That time I also was running the Losi Revolution motors and they were very good. I just wonder if Losi really made these motors or maybe Trinity or other company?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

guys, you missed one.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
guys, you missed one.
Thanks for wasting everyone's time.
Tech Addict

DAMMMMMMMMMM! I did miss this one.....Crap....
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by seaball
guys, you missed one.
Nice find, sir.

Besides, it's not quite the same until you jump into the man pile.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

your a bad boy..... Mr seaball.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.