R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #376
Tech Legend

You would have to admit ...

If Mod sedan racer`s did`nt have to run 7 turn motor`s that burn com tabs off after one run & melt the esc .....

Maybe Mod Sedan would become more popular ?

Maybe ......

(Insert brushless Plug here)
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:31 AM   #377
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

If Mod sedan racer`s did`nt have to run 7 turn motor`s that burn com tabs off after one run & melt the esc .....

Maybe ......

Horesepower and/or how it's made isn't the problem.The root cause of the problem is traction.It's the fact that things have escalated to the point to where the cars are so hooked up that 7 turn motors are even possible.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #378
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Basically all of the competitive guys in modified (speaking big races, not club) are professional drivers. That is, this isn't a hobby for them, it's their job, and often times it doesn't cost them money. They're flown around the world to compete at every large event, get all the best gear, and most importantly, have a lot of time to practice and test new things. I'm generalizing, but I would say for the people that are competitive at the top level, that's the case.

So, do we really want to force our fast club guys, most of whom probably work jobs outside of R/C, and don't have someone paying them to be the best driver they can to compete at that level? If history is any indication, nothing is definite in stock and 19T racing. Sure, you see a lot of the same names in the A, but they've worked for that honor. Does all their hard work and practice mean they're now going to be thrown to the sharks, and expected to compete with professionals? I can't see anything good for the hobby about that scenario. A lot of those top guys are great ambassadors to the sport, and are very helpful with new people. Driving them into a place where they're at a huge competitive disadvantage (against their will) would probably take some of the fun out of the hobby, and ultimately drive them away.

We definitely need to embrace new people, but not at the expense of our existing people who have worked so hard to rise to the top in their respective levels of competition.

And seeing that Yokomo Dogfighter makes me sick. They always spanked my poor Optima. :-(
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #379
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Offroad

Hey Eddie.....I was there. I lived in Federal Way at the time all those tracks were running. Yes the Summer Sizzler at the B&I....the original TRCR in Lakewood....the Hank Perry in Spokane....and Four Seasons in Olympia. Remember Hales RC in Puyallup? Yes back in the day when dirt racing was exactly that....dirt racing...not onroad racing on hard packed dirt. Racing was fun back then......don't know if I can say the same about racing today. Last but not least...that nasty banked carpet oval at the TRCR on 6th Ave...man what a blast that was. Had to ru the ole B&R Bullet.....44 degrees stock motor....had a few that lasted maybe 3 runs!!
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:59 AM   #380
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

I like alot of things Soviet has said... I dont think he's invoking a "peeing" contest at all.
(This hobby is losing people left and right. On the racing side the structure (ROAR, IFMAR) is nearly 80% at fault. The other side of the problem is people with bad attitudes treating new-comers like idiots.)

(We all could do more to make new folks feel welcome at the track)
These are wise words. When I got back into racing a year ago I would have so much anxiety about just entering the hobby shop, and racing because of the "vibing" I got from alot of people. "hazing" should be left up to the frat-boys. Fortunantly I've made some good bonds in a short time as well but I do see alot of the 'this is for us,not them' mentality. After all rc cars are suppossed to be fun. And if a brushless class begins to emerge for novice/non-expert stock classes, I will be all over it. I think the sponsored guys running expert have all the right in the world to defend brushed motors as it is a tuning contest as well as a driving contest. Just my .02
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:15 AM   #381
Tech Elite

How can people on a true racers forum comment on how we're losing people in this hobby. Racers make up a small portion of the RC car industry. Yes, most cars are designed for us to race, but most people never see a track, let alone a National event.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #382
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAD
Had to ru the ole B&R Bullet.....44 degrees stock motor....had a few that lasted maybe 3 runs!!
I'm glad somebody else remembers how stock used to be. Motors that would only last for 3-4 runs, if you ran 12th scale you ran SCE's which would lose their match while you charged them the first time. Everyone likes to whine about how bad the racing scene is now, but nobody knows how much better it actually is.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #383
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt
This hobby is losing people left and right.

I don't think our attrition is any better or worse than, say, knitting or scrapbooking. Some stay, some decide that they just don't like it, for whatever reason.

I've been in this for almost 15 years, and have seen many come and go. Those that left, some came back, and the others, well, I was sure they were gonna leave anyway.
Phatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:32 AM   #384
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
I'm glad somebody else remembers how stock used to be. Motors that would only last for 3-4 runs, if you ran 12th scale you ran SCE's which would lose their match while you charged them the first time. Everyone likes to whine about how bad the racing scene is now, but nobody knows how much better it actually is.

Yep.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:16 PM   #385
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
This is so true!! Back when I started racing 12th scale in 94 we ran ROAR rules, but as the price of 1700 "black" cells became impossible to afford the class died. The owner of the track (John Elliot of Honda House) set up new rules, 1300 spec and trinity spec motor, 12th scale thrived again (E-mains were regular for club racing). Once the 3300's came out, everyone gravitated back to regular ROAR rules.

The racing scene is good today. Competitive stuff is no more expensive than 10-15 years ago and is a million times better in quality and performance.

Anyone remember trying to assemble those 6 gear trannies in the old RC10 buggy? I would rather poke my eyes out that try and get one of them things together and working good. The Novak N-1 speed control, would make the "magic cloud of smoke" if you looked at it the wrong way. The purple panasonic 1700's, 3 charges, tops!! The old Novak digi-peak charger, would false peak all the time, almost had one of those drinking birds keep pecking the charge button just to keep it going.

These are just a few examples of the kind of stuff we had to deal with back in the day. And all this stuff was just as or more expensive than today's stuff.
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #386
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I was a master at those AE 6 gear trannys. 30 seconds of free spin. I miss the days when you had to work on kit for 10 hours to get it right, really seperated the guys who knew how to work on their stuff from the guys that just slapped it together.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #387
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Tranny

I remember what it was like to have to work those trannys....that's why I installed the MIP tranny. After that I got a JRX-2!!!
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:50 PM   #388
Suspended

Never had an RC10. I can vouch for the old Losi's, though. The old 6 gear "LRM" trans(which meant Low Rotating Mass-yeah, my ass ) was no cakewalk. Overall, the cars were damn bulletproof-still have my Pro SE.

Ahhhhhh, memories.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #389
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard hudson
OK Baker not a off road guy now thats some funny stuff!!!! He can lay the spank down in off road just like on road seen it many a time BRO !!!!
Baker not an offroad guy? He was all over Kinwald at 97 April Fools and lots of times there after. Heres the results (course I am there too under Pro Stock Truck):

http://www.teamlosi.com/results/1997/aprlfool.htm
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:25 PM   #390
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

Maybe ......

You dont need a 7t to be fast you need to be consistant and carry speed. I went to Puyallup 2 years ago and ran a 11x1 in Mod Sedan and some of the RainCity guys were strapped running 7 turns, I qualified 4th (not bad for an offroader)behind Darren Shank running a 8 turn and all the 7 turn guys were behind me and Phelps who set TQ was running a 10x2 , mains were different, damn losi hubs!!!! LOL...
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote