R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #136
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin rc10
Besides tires, I dont see how mod can be that much more expensive,

Ummmm, I've never had a mod motor last as long as a stock. At $60 or more, that cost alone eclipses stock.
Phatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:59 AM   #137
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So much shorter is the life of a mod motor? So now its a couple more motors a year. I know mod is more expensive, but you all make it seem like light years apart...
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #138
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone that thinks that stock is cheaper than mod hasn't run mod.

tires-mod wears them faster,stock shows the difference between new and used faster.In mod you wear the tires out,in stock you buy brand new ones and true them down to nothing before they go on the car,or replace them before they are actully "worn out" in order to keep up.

batteries-voltage is everything in stock,and what determines the price of batteries? Voltage! Plus you have to abuse the hell out of them for stock(dead shorting,high charge rates) so stock batts cost more and dont last as long.

drivetrain wear-efficiency is everything in stock,so the drivetrain must be as free as possible all the time,so the maintenence is a draw.It takes a whole lot of drivetrain parts to equal the cost of one high voltage battery pack.

If you want to run stock that's fine.But don't kid yourself that it's cheap,or a place for beginners,or doing a bit of good turnout and getting new racers.

Stock is where the money is.Hobby shop owners know it.Battery and motor suppliers know it,and it's the class where they really get to show the quality of their goods.After reading this thread I'm starting to think that stock should be run only at the national level,because it does more harm than good at the local level.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:08 AM   #139
Tech Regular

Brushless guys, brushless. If you want to get going faster with out the cost, brushless is king. You will never find a more consistant motor. Guess what? That means you can get used to a faster motor, car setup, and lines.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:35 AM   #140
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat
too expensive preminum tune stock motors cost 40-45 buck, mod motors about 55-65 buck, that doesn't seem all that expensive. For the record seasoned stock drivers should to 19 turn not mod., last nite I bought some batteries with an avg. voltage of 1.206, you throw that in with a stock motor your trust your doing 19turn speed. with the whole world addicted to high voltage batt. just move up to 19 turn since everybody pushing the speed limit in stock
No, mod is WAY more expensive on a *competitive* scale. Simple as that.

Last edited by Jon Williams; 11-11-2005 at 10:58 AM.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #141
Tech Elite

???? No, I've run plenty of mod particularly when I was younger. It's not cheaper than stock. Read my previous post. You obviously have never run mod at a large event.

Runtime is everything in mod. Being a matcher I work with cells all day long. Runtime on packs go down very, very quickly in mod. You can lose 40-60 seconds on a pack after a heavy weekend of 7x1 racing. That pack suddenly isn't worth a hill of beans in mod. Time to sell it to a stock racer who can get 1/2 - 1 season out of them.

Yes, stock racing is expensive (all of RC is), but mod is more so. Simple as that.

Again, your inexperience is showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOlds
Anyone that thinks that stock is cheaper than mod hasn't run mod.

tires-mod wears them faster,stock shows the difference between new and used faster.In mod you wear the tires out,in stock you buy brand new ones and true them down to nothing before they go on the car,or replace them before they are actully "worn out" in order to keep up.

batteries-voltage is everything in stock,and what determines the price of batteries? Voltage! Plus you have to abuse the hell out of them for stock(dead shorting,high charge rates) so stock batts cost more and dont last as long.

drivetrain wear-efficiency is everything in stock,so the drivetrain must be as free as possible all the time,so the maintenence is a draw.It takes a whole lot of drivetrain parts to equal the cost of one high voltage battery pack.

If you want to run stock that's fine.But don't kid yourself that it's cheap,or a place for beginners,or doing a bit of good turnout and getting new racers.

Stock is where the money is.Hobby shop owners know it.Battery and motor suppliers know it,and it's the class where they really get to show the quality of their goods.After reading this thread I'm starting to think that stock should be run only at the national level,because it does more harm than good at the local level.

Last edited by Jon Williams; 11-11-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #142
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, I think thats a bit exaggerated....

Chris Tosolini used the SAME modified motors in both 1/12th scale and Touring car at snowbirds, all we did was change the brushes each round....and new springs on the modified after the 2nd round....same arm and can were used in each class....(both Ti motors)....

As for packs, I know for a fact SMC only gives its driver two packs per class.....

I am not saying modified is not more expensive....as it is....everything wears faster....and damage from crashing is usually much more severe.

And please, enough with the brushless crap.....I am SOOO tired of hearing it. No, it won't be me out of business. It's just funny how you guys think its the cure all to fix everything.....it won't, it will just create a battery war, that is....until a company figures out how to tweak brushless stuff....and no, lipo won't cure your problem.....battery companies will find ways to maxmize the performance of the cells.....just like they did with every other type of battery used in RC....and guess, what....it will work, and people WILL buy it....

It's just a cycle....that will never end....time to live with it.

This thread is stupid.....

Just shut up and race.

Later EddieO
Old 11-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #143
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Williams
3) There's simply more competition. Locally, it's not really that enjoyable having to race against 2 other people in your class. Generally stock (and 19T) usually have a good group of racers.
This is it for me on the club level. I'd rather race in a class (stock, 19t or mod) where I can't make the A main for the simple reason that I paid to race in the class.

I've never been to a national event. However, I would be comfortable running any class there, since there will always be more than just an A main. I've always set my goals high, but with a realistic nature. Making the F main at a large event where there is a K main would be satisfying seeing as I'm only 1 to 2 laps off the pace of the "Factory" team drivers that get paid to do this in order to sell more product. Don't hate, just relate.

Once anyone truly accepts the business side of any sport/hobby, satisfaction can be found in good results AND bad results where you've learned a valuable lesson.

However, there will always be those that have positioned their entire life to revolve around winning...at any cost.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:59 AM   #144
Tech Elite

Old 11-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #145
Tech Fanatic

you guys are all right , all my drivers run 19t and mod some of them run stock, but there not top driver . i hate seeing top driver think there so
fast running stock ,and they suck at mod .to me there not a top driver to me.they have big sponsorships dont even go to big races
one day ill make it all out and for me i do ok im far from a top driver
i just know how to buld them.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #146
Tech Legend

LoL ! Eddie

I will never buy another brush modiflied motor again......

Hope you can somehow realize the future is here already....

Now just show me a brush motor that can run over 200 times and still run like the day you brought it...

Ooooo ! BDW with out haveing to plug $6 in brush`s every 8 to 10 times you run it....

The way I firgure , If you could run a brush motor 200 time s, you just spent enought to buy another brushless motor .... LoL !

You beat that !

I know you can`t ......
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #147
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin rc10
So much shorter is the life of a mod motor? So now its a couple more motors a year. I know mod is more expensive, but you all make it seem like light years apart...

One Green Machine, raw, untuned-abt. $30.

One Reedy Ti, untuned-abt. $70

I can run one GM for almost two TC seasons. = $15/season.

I can get by with two mods per season. = $140/season.

I can't make it any clearer.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #148
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc3od
Brushless guys, brushless. If you want to get going faster with out the cost, brushless is king. You will never find a more consistant motor. Guess what? That means you can get used to a faster motor, car setup, and lines.

Try to tune that brushless. Try to make it faster without adding cells. Tell me how that works out for you.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #149
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

This is not a brushless vs brushed thread NO matter what you guys post!!

I think its about the US drivers lack of motivation to move up in the RC ranks.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #150
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

George.....brushless has a future....no doubt about it.

I have one in development, as you have ....just I don't see the rush, especially win every AE/LRP driver ditches them in favor of brushed motors at the Worlds.....they have yet to win a big race (sorry Barry, Halloween doesn't count), except with a Prototype in a scandalous ruling (no offense to Jon Orr, you drove the lights out of that thing)....

And if you think the performance has not degraded....you are sadly mistaken.....I guarantee that thing would dyno less than a new one.....the copper fatigues, ask any engineer....

Enough with the brushless crap......tired of hearing it.....you guys are blinded by the brushless tech.

Later EddieO