Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Anyone running "spec" 1/12th scale with Lilac (WGT stripe) tires? >

Anyone running "spec" 1/12th scale with Lilac (WGT stripe) tires?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone running "spec" 1/12th scale with Lilac (WGT stripe) tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default Anyone running "spec" 1/12th scale with Lilac (WGT stripe) tires?

Our local track decided last year we were making the switch from 17.5 blinky open tire to the spec lilac stripe tires for the 2015/2016 race season. For those of you that have been running on these tires...

What general changes in setup needed to be made to the car or your driving style?

What has the switch done to your 1/12th scale class? Increased turnout? Made racing closer? Have lap times seen a significant shift?
Old 11-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I have ran them and my car is set up to use blu fronts and greene rears. Participated in the first race of the WCICS series in Canada and they require spec tire for their stock class (13.5). Didn't need to make any setup changes. Only thing I needed to do was sauce the rears a little longer (45 minutes+) on a lower bite condition. Shorter sauce times resulted in tires not making it a full 8 minutes. Like I said that was on low bite.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't do abything special with sauce regiment. I just put sauce on when I get off the track. Full rear 1/3 inner front. Wipe off the heat before my race or when I'd be due in tech obv for wcics. Pretty consistant tire over 8 minutes that has enough edgyness at the beginning to get some fast laps and eases into routine.
Zero offline forgiveness though. Just don't go off the black or your gonna have a bad time.
At the victoria bc club I race at, I'm running within the top 3 regularly. Not tge fastest single laps but average laps 95% of the fast guys like blake.

As for setup changes; stiffer tube lube. Like 40-60k 55 rear springs, 50 feont springs when tires are fat, 45 when skinny.
Pretty much box stock crc wc setup otherwise with a strakka.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default tires.

I am running the stock set up on my serpent with only change beening upper arm length (long). Strakka body. but you do need to sauce longer on low grip tracks.

Nick K
Old 11-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thanks for the suggestions. I left my XTi WC setup as it came off the track last season setup to run Greene rears and Blu fronts:

Front:
CRC .45 springs
Green tube spooge on king pins with ~.5mm droop
5* caster blocks
2 caster shims back, one forward
~1* toe-out
-1* camber
3.5mm ride height
168mm width
42.5mm tires

Rear:
30 wt shock fluid
New CRC red center spring
Short shock position
~1mm pod droop
CRC .50 side springs
CRC 20K tube lube
No side spring pre-load - just touching then tweaked
4mm ride height
172mm width
43.25mm tires

The car was very easy to drive, however our track is very small and tight with a lot of quick switchbacks. I felt the car could be quicker transitioning side to side. Thinking I will narrow it (167mm front and 170mm rear) and try 30K lube in the tubes to start. Maybe bring the tires down a little smaller as well.

Tires worked great for the full 8 minutes with a 45+ minute sauce regimen. They were scary outside the groove, but so was anything else I've ever run at our track. Tire wear was minimal. I was skeptical about running the stripes, but I'm now happy we made the switch.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by biz77
Thanks for the suggestions. I left my XTi WC setup as it came off the track last season setup to run Greene rears and Blu fronts:

Front:
CRC .45 springs
Green tube spooge on king pins with ~.5mm droop
5* caster blocks
2 caster shims back, one forward
~1* toe-out
-1* camber
3.5mm ride height
168mm width
42.5mm tires

Rear:
30 wt shock fluid
New CRC red center spring
Short shock position
~1mm pod droop
CRC .50 side springs
CRC 20K tube lube
No side spring pre-load - just touching then tweaked
4mm ride height
172mm width
43.25mm tires

The car was very easy to drive, however our track is very small and tight with a lot of quick switchbacks. I felt the car could be quicker transitioning side to side. Thinking I will narrow it (167mm front and 170mm rear) and try 30K lube in the tubes to start. Maybe bring the tires down a little smaller as well.

Tires worked great for the full 8 minutes with a 45+ minute sauce regimen. They were scary outside the groove, but so was anything else I've ever run at our track. Tire wear was minimal. I was skeptical about running the stripes, but I'm now happy we made the switch.
Leave the rear at max Roar legal width, and get an R8c or Lola body from Black Art. Stay at 20 k tube lube, go to .050 frt. springs. .045 tweak springs. Not sure of green tube spooge viscosity, but try 5k CRC tube lube. Max caster, all shims back. Battery rearward position. This should give good entry, better rotation, and solid exit stability. This is the set-up I have on my son's spec car, and it is solid.