Wiki Posts
Search

Pit Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Pit Light

I am wondering if anyone has the Trackstar pit light with the built in battery. I am wondering if it is a good light and also if the built in battery is removable. Also wondering how long the 1S lipo lasts with the light on.
Also if you have a recommendation for any other pit light that is good that is under $50. I would prefer it to have a built in battery so I don't have to buy a lipo just for a light. But buying a cheap shorty pack isn't a big deal either.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It doesn't sound like you have access to AC power where you are pitting, but if you do, I highly recommend the TaoTronics Elune TT-DL01 LED pit light from Amazon. I just picked one up after seeing another guy using one and it's pretty amazing, I highly recommend it! I paid $60 CDN for mine with free shipping btw.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

http://www.fantomracing.com/proddeta...?prod=FAN28573
You can look at this one and save on oversea's shipping.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
http://www.fantomracing.com/proddeta...?prod=FAN28573
You can look at this one and save on oversea's shipping.
I like this one. But Im stupid when it comes to
Electrical. What do I need to plug these types in (the ones with te bannana plugs). Do they plug right into a 2s lipo with 4mm bullet connectors or what? Is that just for charging or do they need to be plugged in at all times. I don't know what ac vs. dc power is either. The track has regular wall sockets but idk if I want that kind or the banana plug kind. Any detailed help is apreciated. And I don't have a 12v power source either. I don't get the point of them. I do have a venom pro charger plus that does all battery types.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Slapjack
I like this one. But Im stupid when it comes to
Electrical. What do I need to plug these types in (the ones with te bannana plugs). Do they plug right into a 2s lipo with 4mm bullet connectors or what? Is that just for charging or do they need to be plugged in at all times. I don't know what ac vs. dc power is either. The track has regular wall sockets but idk if I want that kind or the banana plug kind. Any detailed help is apreciated. And I don't have a 12v power source either. I don't get the point of them. I do have a venom pro charger plus that does all battery types.
I'm sorry i didnt realise you need a AC pit light, I use I charger and it requires a power supply it is 75 amp it runs my tire warmers pit light when I get one. If you wanted to use a Lipo to power you need to use to of them in series to equal 14.8 volts.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Last edited by Slapjack; 11-02-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Some of the lights say they run on 7.4 -14.8volt. So I think I could just use a single 2 cell lipo right?
Old 11-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Send me a link to a power supply. My venom pro charger plus does have one but it's just a black box with one plug to the charger and one for an outlet. So do the newer ones have more plugs so you can plug in lights and other accessories? Could I just swap mine out for a better one so I can plug a light into it? Or do I also need one of the power strip deals for that?

Last edited by Slapjack; 11-02-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

You can power a pit light with a single 2S LIPO, but if you have access to AC at all times there is no need for that. A lot of people power their pit lights through their 12V power supply because they already have one for their chargers and tire warmers.

This is a little off the main subject, but something I wanted to clear up; Electricity coming out of the wall is AC, and our RC car's electronics/batteries are DC. AC needs to be essentially converted to DC for our equipment to work, and that's the job of a power supply. The general reason people use external dedicated power supplies and 12V accessories is it makes the accessories less expensive if they don't need to have their own power supply built in. Also, if the power supply isn't built into the device (like a charger) you reduce a lot of heat and space, and it's less likely for the device to fail. Most AC powered chargers fail over time because their power supply burns up or a fan goes bad trying to keep the unit cool from all the excessive heat. So the idea is you buy one nice 12V power supply, and all your cool RC gadgets can run off it.

All of that being said, if your AC charger is serving your needs well, there's really no need to go out and spend money. If it goes bad in the future and you're serious about RC, I would recommend looking into a separate power supply and charger combo...

... but back to the pit light. Some RC pit lights come with their own small 12V power supply that you can plug right into the wall. I personally use the Team Powers pit lamp that came with one. While I originally chose this lamp because I'm a big Team Powers motor fan, I'm very pleased with the quality and how well it works. There are probably slightly cheaper options though with similar features.