R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-12-2017, 07:43 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Awesomatix A800
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Sam Isaacs
Welcome - please help to make this Awesomatix A800 wiki useful!

A800 Information
New Parts
  • June 2016: A800-SPR01-98 - The version of SPR01 springs with reduced angle of the tips bending. Recommended for using with new SPR02H3 Shock Rod Guides.
  • June 2016: A800-SPR01S-98 - The version of SPR01S springs with reduced angle of the tips bending. Recommended for using with new SPR02H3 Shock Rod Guides.
  • May / June 2016: A800-AM14A - includes new optional "longer" hole on steering arm
  • May / June 2016: A700-AM14-3 - removes the prior "longer" hole on steering arm
  • May / June 2016: A800-C04AL+0.5 - 0.5mm wider alloy suspension arm
  • May / June 2016: A800-C01B-2.25 - 2.25mm carbon main plate (best suited for asphalt racing)
  • May / June 2016: A800-D2.2 - Dampers that support a thicker SPR02H3
  • May / June 2016: A800-SPR02H3 - Thicker Shock Rod Guides for the D2.2 damper
  • May / June 2016: A800-AT41-2 - Damper vane for the D2.2 damper designed to work w/ SPR02H3
  • May / June 2016: A800-SPR02H - Stronger Shock Rod Guides for the D2.0 and D2.1 damper versions
  • May 2016: A800-AM19-4 - Currently used in the rear of a kit. With AM19-4 the top link effective length is 0,7mm shorter compare to AM19-2. Also with AM19-4 the flex of suspension is smaller ( similar to more stiffer arm and c-hub of normal cars). The screws on dampers are more accessible for adjustment.
  • January 2017 - SPRO2X - new for dampers and do not require a 98 degree bent spring.
  • January 2017 - New A800X and A800XA kits now available featuring 0.3mm longer front and rear wheelbase.
Kit Updates
  • May - Current: Kits now including DT10-2-1 bearing holders for increased side play and durability of the differential and spool.
  • May - July 2016: bearings within kits require oil before use
  • May / June 2016: C01B-AL (Khaki) Chassis with 0.5mm/side wider front arm mounts
  • May / June 2016: 2x ST17-1-S replace ST17 - See page 21 of manual
  • May / June 2016: Updated damper, D2.2, introduced
  • May / June 2016: Thicker Shock Rod Guides for the D2.2 damper included with kits, A800-SPR02H3
  • Jan 2016: GD2 Output Axle (ST31-1) update to use blue foam (P46) instead of set screw (used on each side of Axle after assembly)

Setups
Major Race Wins
  • 2016 Reedy Race of Champions - Modified - Julian Wong
  • 2016 Mile High Championship - 17.5 - Kyle Klingforth
  • 2016 Mile High Championship - 13.5 - Kyle Klingforth
  • 2016 ROAR On-Road Carpet Nationals - 17.5 - Mike Gee
  • 2016 ROAR On-Road Carpet Nationals - 13.5 - Mike Gee
  • 2015/6 ETS Season 9 Round 3 - Xray Pro Stock Division - Tony Streit
  • 2015 US Indoor Champs - 13.5 - Mike Gee
  • 2016 Roar On-Road Asphalt Nationals - 13.5 - Mike Gee
  • 2016 Roar On-Road Asphalt Nationals - 17.5 - Sam Isaacs
  • 2016 International Indoor Championships (IIC) - 17.5 - Mike Gee
  • 2016 Halloween Classic at the Gate - 17.5 - Brad Johnson
  • 2016 US Indoor Champs - 17.5 - Sam Isaacs
  • 2016 US Indoor Champs - 13.5 -Matt Lyons
  • 2016 Stock Wars - 17.5 - Mike Gee
  • 2016 Hudy Indoor Championship - 17.5 - Brad Johnson

Print Wikipost

Like Tree180Likes

Old 04-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #2491
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anyone tried using the VTD top deck and 2.25mm carbon chassis on low to med grip asphalt? Or would this combination have too much flex to have any benefit on asphalt?
jdawg81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #2492
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg81 View Post
Has anyone tried using the VTD top deck and 2.25mm carbon chassis on low to med grip asphalt? Or would this combination have too much flex to have any benefit on asphalt?
I ran it for 1/2 of the 2016 asphalt nationals event in mod TC. I liked it and will have vtd on my A800X car to start with outdoors
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #2493
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg81 View Post
I dont have an A800X. These are A800s.

This was the A800 + VTD, modified TC, on a low bite, cold and a slimy track. Took a couple laps for the car to come in. You can see the difference compared to the other cars.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by MDawson; 04-24-2017 at 10:20 AM.
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #2494
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have a A800x Aluminum coming soon, I'm looking for base line set-up for 21.5-17.5 using Jaco's blues and Running on the same " literally" CRC carpet from the snowbirds, any suggestions?
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #2495
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Dazzk we run on very low grip grey ozite and to help reduce on power steering you could try a few things, such as toe out in the front, go lighter diff oil in the rear, run soffter rear setup to allow the rear to squat under acceleration, reduce your steering throw. If all off these things still give you too much on power steering you could try runing two diff setup instead of a spool. Normally a car that has good on power steering is a fast car because to you really drive on throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzk View Post
Hi guys, anybody willing to help with some tuning tips?

I'm racing indoors on extremely low-grip carpet and struggling to control the over-rotation of the car when turning under power. What do you suggest to lock the back end in and/or make the front a bit more pushy? Currently running an A800x 2.25mm carbon 21.5 blinky, 1.1 roll bars, 500 damper oil, soft springs, 2000 diff oil.

Thanks in advance
Dazzk likes this.
v_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #2496
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Awesomatix A800X

I had the opportunity to run an A800X for the first time this weekend. The car was a pleasure to build with the amount of attention to engineering and detail. On track, it is very good and I want to thank the community for all the resources, tips, and tricks that have been shared.

If anybody's interested (I'm not a factory pro all star driver), I can post a setup that uses stock parts. If not, that's cool.

Additionally, Roel, a fast local guy who happens to be pretty smart, designed some incredibly precise caster gauges with very tight tolerances. I'm not sure if or when these will be available at hobby shops but you can reach him here on rctech at [email protected] He'll also be at the Reedy Race next month so you can see them in person.

rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #2497
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtypec View Post
I had the opportunity to run an A800X for the first time this weekend. The car was a pleasure to build with in the amount of attention to engineering and detail. On track, it is very good and I want to thank the community for all the resources, tips, and tricks that have been shared.

If anybody's interested (I'm not a factory pro all star driver), I can post a setup that uses stock parts. If not, that's cool.

Additionally, Roel, a fast local guy who happens to be pretty smart, designed some incredibly precise caster gauges with very tight tolerances. I'm not sure if or when these will be available at hobby shops but you can reach him here on rctech at [email protected] He'll also be at the Reedy Race next month so you can see them in person.

It was great to see you get settled and fast quick! Great job this weekend.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #2498
Tech Initiate

One question about the rear belt tension: I have the bearing housing at the most backward position, but still tension is rather loose. The belt looks good, has most of its brown color still on the teeth. Front is fine though.
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #2499
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Rod- please feel free to share I'm sure some people would love to see the setup from the tamiya track guru

Rincewind- what car/tensionsers? The X car should be able to make it tighter than you need. The older 800 could not get the rear belt very tight, optional cams were released to get more tension (dt10-2, -3)

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #2500
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Rod- please feel free to share I'm sure some people would love to see the setup from the tamiya track guru
Will do. The car was very good with the setup I kind of mashed together. I looked at all the X asphalt setups on petitrc, found commonality, and in areas that were different made educated guesses based on previous traditional touring car experiences.

I wanted to try a setup from Brandon but I didn't have the parts that and a couple of Kettle-Sevens prevented me from wrenching and making wholesale changes post practice-pre race.

Not too shabby for its first outing.

Here's a pic of it in action by Rugspin Graphix. Don't mind the wrong stickers on the body

*Edit* Attached is the setup sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Awesomatix A800-img_8727.jpg   Awesomatix A800-a800x_rc4232017.jpg  
Oleg Babich likes this.

Last edited by rtypec; 04-24-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #2501
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
One question about the rear belt tension: I have the bearing housing at the most backward position, but still tension is rather loose. The belt looks good, has most of its brown color still on the teeth. Front is fine though.
It's easy to forget that the offset is opposite to the little marker "dot" in the housing. If you rotate the dot to the rear, you're loosening the tension. Rotate the dot forward to increase tension.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #2502
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
I ran it for 1/2 of the 2016 asphalt nationals event in mod TC. I liked it and will have vtd on my A800X car to start with outdoors
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
I dont have an A800X. These are A800s.

This was the A800 + VTD, modified TC, on a low bite, cold and a slimy track. Took a couple laps for the car to come in. You can see the difference compared to the other cars.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Glad to hear you guys had some success with the VTD with the carbon chassis. Outdoor season is starting soon so I was trying to decide if using VTD with the 2.25mm carbon chassis was worth trying or not as it was my understanding that too much flex could also be bad for car handling.
jdawg81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #2503
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

rod - did you try increasing your A or B gaps on the front shock?
a larger A gap increases dampening
a larger B gap decreases spring rate

both of these could have helped with your understeer

also, the 3mm of shim and 4mm short wheelbase should produce A LOT of toe in under squat. possibly this was too much...

Awesomatix A800X - Rod Canare - CTS - Tamiya USA - 21-23.04.2017
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #2504
Tech Elite

Hi Mike thanks for the awesome feedback. Some of the guys at the track suggested that I decrease the front dampening to make the front end feel more positive on turn in along with directional changes. I kind of liked the spring rate feel, so I busted out the chart, and low behold, slam a and b to 0 haha Easy change and no measuring. Sure I'll do that Oops.

As for rear spacing to adjust for toe under squat, that's still something above my pay grade. This is the first car I've had with that kind of adjustability. I'm curious to know what the effect of adding/removing spacers to the rear steering knuckle would do. Perhaps I'll just put the car back on the setup station and mess around. That being said, we only had 5 three minute practice rounds to figure things out. Baby steps.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I won't be able to test anymore before the Reedy Race because I'll be heading off to the Caribbean.
King of B Main likes this.

Last edited by rtypec; 04-24-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #2505
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtypec View Post
Hi Mike thanks for the awesome feedback. Some of the guys at the track suggested that I decrease the front dampening to make the front end feel more positive on turn in along with directional changes. I kind of liked the spring rate feel, so I busted out the chart, and low behold, slam a and b to 0 haha Easy change and no measuring. Sure I'll do that

As for rear spacing to adjust for toe under squat, that's still something above my pay grade. This is the first car I've had with that kind of adjustability. I'm curious to know what the effect of adding/removing spacers to the rear steering knuckle would do. Perhaps I'll just put the car back on the setup station and mess around. That being said, we only had 5 three minute practice rounds to figure things out. Baby steps.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I won't be able to test anymore before the Reedy Race because I'll be heading off to the Caribbean.

Nice job on your first outing Rod.

The rear toe links adjust how much active toe occurs under compression. So if the link is angled down, towards the ground relative to the lower arm. When the arm moves up from resting position, it will remove toe from that side. I'm guessing you know the rest from there. If the arm moves down towards the ground it adds toe.

When the link is angled up relative to the lower arm, you will add toe when the arm moves up from resting position and remove toe when moved down.

When the link is flat to the lower arm it acts like a conventional TC rear setup, no toe change whether the arm moves up or down from resting position.

From what i understand many of the other TC manf drivers that have active rear toe capability like to run it on asphalt.

From to looks of your short wheel base setting (4 deg forward tilt on the rear uprights) and 3 mm of spacers you had a very slight toe-in under compression. Which i believe is the direction others use. A little more toe when squatting would give you more forward drive and stability in the middle of the turn.

FYI, .5 mm can do a lot.

On carpet we like to go the other way. Link angled down, so there's less toe when cornering, loosening up the car a bit. Especially on Black CRC carpet.

Hope this helps. You'll be a pro in no time.

Another thing to try as you gain more experience, is putting larger holes in the damper vanes and using higher viscosity oil.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote