Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you have to break-in all motors ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Do you have to break-in all motors ?

I just bought a ORION RUSH 27x1 motor , do i have to run it in water to break it in ? Or can I just install it and start racing ?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Usually to break in modern electric motor we just run them at 2-3 volts for about 3-5 minutes. This is dry........ no water involved. It seats the brushes properly and will give you slightly better comm wear in the long run.

-Korey
Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

Is there any way to do this with out using just 3 volts ? I don't have a 3volt pack . could i run it at 1/4 throttle for 3-5mins ? would that help ?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Champion

Not really. I would just go to the hobby store and get a few sub c battery cells or a cheap stick pack and only use 2 of the cells in it. charge it up and run your motor on that.

-Korey
Old 11-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

ok I have a old sanyo 1500mah stick pack , can you tell me how to rewire it ? I assum i just need some aligator clips , wire , and then .... I am confused as to where I put the + and - 's
Old 11-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Tech Champion

just get a battery bar and solder the pos and neg together. Now on the open ends where they arent connected, solder alligator clips to the cells.

-Korey
Old 11-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Tech Adept

gotcha thank you .
is there anything i need to know when disassembling the stick pack , so i don't short it out
Old 11-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

dont cut the existing leads at the same time. Make separate cuts for the neg and pos leads. Otherwise you will short your stick pack with your cutting tool of choice made of metal.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

ok so i broke it in by running it on 2cells , for about 4 mins . I ran it tonight and it seems slower than my M03 mini with a 540 mabuchi/Johnson motor . Did i do something wrong or will it get faster with more runs ?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

best way to break in your new motor is to . install it and there you go . some like to run them in to seat the brushes .?? WOW !!! I never do and dont have problems with the motors running slow .... Everyone has there methods .. Mine is install it and run the crap out of it ...
Old 11-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

well maybe my batts are crap then , how long should my run times be ?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.Pink
well maybe my batts are crap then , how long should my run times be ?
depends on the typ of batteries you run .. 3300's and up run at least 10 minutes or longer if your messing around if your racing 5 min is all thats needed for your heats and mains ... practice little longer to get the layout and handling of your car situated ... Matched batteries usually have great run time ... also gearing your car correctly will affect run time .. I say try some new batteries and change the brushes when you cut the com .. you will notice a big diffrence ...
Old 11-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mb racer
best way to break in your new motor is to . install it and there you go . some like to run them in to seat the brushes .?? WOW !!! I never do and dont have problems with the motors running slow .... Everyone has there methods .. Mine is install it and run the crap out of it ...

Same here, i might through it on a six cell pack to see if it is revving to the moon, but just run it, and MB has some screamin motors also.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mb racer
I agree with him, I hate breaking in brushes I think its useless because if you build your motor right and everything like it should go then why do a break in ??? Like my dad has always told me when he rebuilds my brothers racing motor for his 7second RX-7 if the motor is build right then theres no need for breaking it in.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roberto Falcon
I agree with him, I hate breaking in brushes I think its useless because if you build your motor right and everything like it should go then why do a break in ??? Like my dad has always told me when he rebuilds my brothers racing motor for his 7second RX-7 if the motor is build right then theres no need for breaking it in.
I dont agree

The point of breaking the motor in is to bed the brushes properly on the comm.
This reduces arcing, therefore less heat, more brush and comm life between rebuilds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.