Team Orion goes Li-poly.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Post Team Orion goes Li-poly.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=208344
Old 11-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

I hope we don't have to get new TC's to run the lipo's, since they weigh less than a Nimh battery.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

YEah but a lot of Li Pos have high IR, i dont know about these, i tied making my own 7.4 pack and it was slow/....
Old 11-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have used the scorpion 3.2ah cell balencer setup, and it is VERY nice, way more punch then ruglar cells, and the light weigh was nice, i have a losi so the car was still balenced, just a little looser then normal.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

it was only a matter of time...
Old 11-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Been running LiPo's for almost a year now. Use Ice Machine to charge, no problem, just follow instruction on how to set the "charge program" up. If anything goes wrong with the charging process, including battery temp. Everything shuts down.

I can charge them today and run them next week w/o repeaking with plenty of power. Repeaking only gets you about 200 more mah's. Charge time is slow.

No problems with power, I have only compared them with 3300's and voltages were the same at 1/2 minute markers. Run time is approximately 15 minutes under a 30 amp load. Run them with 10x2 motors; last laps as fast as first laps. Have a goofy little LED Lite that must be visable on the car that when it goes out. Quit running the car. Don't use lite because I run them for a few hot laps, a 4 minute heat race and recharge. No discharging necessary.

The loss of 6 ozs in my B3, CW Sprinter and Intimadator (sp) was very welcome, just a few turns of the shock adjusters. Of course, later less wt shock oil, softer springs. Cars just got better. Tried them in a pan car, well lets say I tried them in a pan car. Car slide ways - all over the place, and I didn't feel like messing with it. Haven't tried in TC3 yet, don't expect much of a problem.

Only problem I have experienced with LiPo's is recharging them. When the ambient temperature is above 95 degrees (battery temp cut off) the battery must be put in the refrig for awhile.

Overall very pleased with the batteries. I didn't have to pay no $125.00 for them either.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sushi Man
YEah but a lot of Li Pos have high IR, i dont know about these, i tied making my own 7.4 pack and it was slow/....
Actually all modern LiPo packs have extremely low IR's. I don't know what you used but if it was made from recent 10C+ and it had the current capacity to handle the motor you were running it should have been ballistic.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

great 200.00 battery packs.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

I have a friend who flies planes, his only complaint about lipos is how they are affected by cold weather. Is there any relationship between weather and these cells? Too hot a climate, they wont charge, too cold they don't hold a charge????????????????
Old 11-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Chemical reactions take place slower in colder temperatures. That's why if you cook your battery pack up to 200 degrees, it will be stupid fast (for one run ). I don't know about it being too hot... I haven't heard that one.
-Josh
Old 11-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Hundred and twenty five bucks a pack? Bring on the innovation :\

This is seriously going to change R/C the way we know it. For some of us, in a good way...for the budget runners its gonna suck.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hopefully the Novak GTB will work with it. Might take the plunge to lipos once these babies are out.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Hundred and twenty five bucks a pack? Bring on the innovation :\

This is seriously going to change R/C the way we know it. For some of us, in a good way...for the budget runners its gonna suck.
As the newness wears off they will get cheaper... point proven many times with other R/C products.

In the cold, you can put them under your arm, sit on 'em like a chicken hatching and egg, but, I prefer a heating pad set on low. When coming off the track after a 4 minute run the batteries are only slightly warm, about body temp.

In my experience, once the secrets of LiPo's are learned they well be more economical.

The rumors we have all heard about LiPo are true. But the have to be abused, running below cutt off, blowing up when they are severely over loaded and they don't like water.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hick
The rumors we have all heard about LiPo are true. But the have to be abused, running below cutt off, blowing up when they are severely over loaded and they don't like water.
Thats strange, I've heard that if you ever accidentally punctured one, the best thing to do is to dunk them into a pail of water, better still if it is salt water ! something about neutralising the chemicals.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hick
In my experience, once the secrets of LiPo's are learned they well be more economical.
Do LiPos "fall-off" like the NiMh cells do? Is there going to be any way to "grade" these cells or will full LiPo in R/C put the matchers out of buisiness?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.