AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:58 AM   #272
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default vbc fx build

I purchased the fx about a month ago and finally built it yesterday.

My impressions:
1) car is very adjustable, with settings for almost everything
2) car has a lot of aluminum and graphite pieces with very little plastic
3) most pieces fit together well, but some of the plastic pieces had flashing left from the molds (they weren't on trees, but individually wrapped in plastic bags)

Issues and my Tips:
1) the upper from arm hits the steering stopper and puts too much tension on the kingpin spring: i removed a little over a millimeter from the top of the steering stopper and it solved the issue
2) don't fully tighten the lock nuts under the pod pivot ball. I think the pivot ball holder is supposed to move a little back and forth
3) the stock diff balls are not good. the plates are flat, but the diff balls are basic steel, and the diff is too hard when tightened. I ordered ceramic 1/8" from acer ($8 for 12 shipped)
4) as was already mentioned, use a thrust washer instead of the bearing in the diff (tamiya 53136)

First race for the car is on saturday.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #273
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
I purchased the fx about a month ago and finally built it yesterday.

My impressions:
1) car is very adjustable, with settings for almost everything
2) car has a lot of aluminum and graphite pieces with very little plastic
3) most pieces fit together well, but some of the plastic pieces had flashing left from the molds (they weren't on trees, but individually wrapped in plastic bags)

Issues and my Tips:
1) the upper from arm hits the steering stopper and puts too much tension on the kingpin spring: i removed a little over a millimeter from the top of the steering stopper and it solved the issue
2) don't fully tighten the lock nuts under the pod pivot ball. I think the pivot ball holder is supposed to move a little back and forth
3) the stock diff balls are not good. the plates are flat, but the diff balls are basic steel, and the diff is too hard when tightened. I ordered ceramic 1/8" from acer ($8 for 12 shipped)
4) as was already mentioned, use a thrust washer instead of the bearing in the diff (tamiya 53136)

I would reccomend tightening the lock nuts for the pivot ball. That peice is not supposed to move. Make sure you tighten them with the side links attatched and the chassis on a flat surface.

Steel diff balls take time to break in but ceramic are nicer

You are correct the thrust bearing is an absolute must.
If your running high grip carpet the stock thrust washers don't offer enough pressure alone.
You want to run 3
Thrust bearing )()|nut
I hope the image makes sense

And as for the upper arm hitting the steering stops. I haven't experienced this but I also don't run the carbon stops as they don't really do anything.
Try running longer screws through the lower arm where the lower pivot ball holder is attatched.
AlexPate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #274
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Vbc cars qualified 3rd and forth Saturday at our club race f1 challenge race and finished that way in the main. I qualified only 3 seconds from TQ and only .08 out of second place. I did learn 2 things about the car.....tighten up the diff as much as you can and put the upper arm spacer in the front end. The car was loose all day until I tightened the diff. This car is fast! Who needs an x-ray?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #275
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotmachine View Post
Vbc cars qualified 3rd and forth Saturday at our club race f1 challenge race and finished that way in the main. I qualified only 3 seconds from TQ and only .08 out of second place. I did learn 2 things about the car.....tighten up the diff as much as you can and put the upper arm spacer in the front end. The car was loose all day until I tightened the diff. This car is fast! Who needs an x-ray?
Exactly. I haven't found an X-ray this faster than my car yet
AlexPate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #276
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPate View Post
Exactly. I haven't found an X-ray this faster than my car yet
I will be getting one to try cause I like the idea of trying different brands...plus I love collecting f1...still have a tamiya x1 lol...also agree the diff has to be really tight....found that out for myself last week...

Last edited by blade072; 06-06-2016 at 02:51 AM.
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #277
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Which spacer in the front end are are you referring to?
What does that do and what size was it?

Thanks
Fredp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #278
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredp1 View Post
Which spacer in the front end are are you referring to?
What does that do and what size was it?

Thanks
The aluminum piece that the front arms bolt to that has 2 screws holding it into the car, there is a plastic spacer in the kit that is not on the parts list. Two holes in it oval shaped and about 7mm thick.]
Old 06-07-2016, 03:11 AM   #279
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
The aluminum piece that the front arms bolt to that has 2 screws holding it into the car, there is a plastic spacer in the kit that is not on the parts list. Two holes in it oval shaped and about 7mm thick.]
Ah yes. I think I remember that piece.

It would have thrown out your roll centres quite a bit.

Thanks
Fredp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:42 AM   #280
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That little plastic insert will lower the roll center and reduce camber gain. This will will make the car easier and smoother to drive under high traction surfaces.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:22 AM   #281
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
That little plastic insert will lower the roll center and reduce camber gain. This will will make the car easier and smoother to drive under high traction surfaces.
That is exactly what it did for me. We run on an asphalt parking lot sprayed with mountain dew and it gets grippy. I run ps-0572 rears and ps-0573 med. Fronts no cleaning or compounding of the tires.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #282
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
I purchased the fx about a month ago and finally built it yesterday...

Good luck and lets us know your impressions after a race with it.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #283
Tech Champion

I finally got to put ceramic diff balls in today and the diff now feels good not great like some pan cars I've had but good. I cant wait till Saturday to try it out. Ill start with no other changes to see what the improvement is.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #284
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Received the Lightning FX in the mail yesterday, and pretty excited to assemble. Will probably have to wait until this weekend though as have a pretty full week.

I did want to post here that if you are thinking about getting one of these, I ordered mine from Alex at GRIPWORKSRC.COM and I have to say that I am very pleased with the communication and the speed of the shipping. Thanks Alex!! My local hobby shop doesn't carry VBC (or anything that Horizon doesn't carry), I got a tip from someone on here that there was 1 FX left at GRIPWORKSRC so I went ahead and ordered. After the stellar service and communication I will order from you again, Alex.

Alex sent me several build tips, and also checked my kit for the correct pivot balls before sending out. He also emailed me "starting" setups for carpet and asphalt.

Anyway, looking forward to putting this together but wanted to share the great experience I had. Too often we only hear about the "problems". . .
Old 06-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #285
Tech Champion

Take a look at this.....
http://www.fenixracingshop.com/index...product&cid=20