Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Front arm sweep... What does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default Front arm sweep... What does it do?

Ok so i have seen several setups for several different kinds of cars that call for various degrees of front arm sweep. I was wondering what effect this had on handling.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

I was interested to see the responses, but I guess all the internet experts are on vacation.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

From what I've read it's supposed to reduce turn in for more steering through the middle of the corner. When I switched over to front arm sweep I could instantly tell it felt easier to drive for me. Im not good enough to tell exactly what it did but it drives better through turns.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Ok so i have seen several setups for several different kinds of cars that call for various degrees of front arm sweep. I was wondering what effect this had on handling.
Never tried it myself but from mechanical design point of view, the sweep will produce dynamic wheel base and dynamic caster. Back sweep will produce longer wheel base when the suspension travels away from horizontal. But i think the real effect should come from the reduction in caster as the suspension compresses. However the effect should also be very small so I'm not sure what it actually does. Just speculation though at this point so take it with a lot of doubt.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Generally on track it will give a little less initial steering, with more mid to exit.
There are a few reasons as too why (reduced front wheelbase if you keep the same arm shims, the dynamic changes as noted by tobyzhang, and a slight change in track width).

Give it a try and see. One thing else to note is that like changing rear toe on the RF or RR block, adding sweep by widening the front or narrowing the rear will have a subtly different effect, more due to the change in track width.

For example, on the Tamiya C/C is usually the default front block setup, with a straight pin. Both D/C and C/B give 0.5° of arm sweep, but D/C is wider than C/B. C/B has more front bite, whilst D/C tends to feel more stable, but lacks initial.

HiH
Ed