Wiki Posts
Search

Experience Sharing - Best Blinky ESC's

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
Which year? Definitely not the case this year.

That only really works as they have 100++ 13.5 entrants at each round and if you are a competitor, it's relatively easy to get to most if not all the ETS rounds of you live in Europe as compared to going to all AOC events from Australia.

<$100 vs >$1000 flights!
That they know of yes.
Yea it wouldn't work here in Australia, RC is a small hobby and with a small population like down here it'll never reach Europe levels, the economy of scale isn't there
Old 09-09-2015, 03:04 AM
Tech Champion

Software is just another tuning aid, you go for the best version of firmware that you feel comfortable with and adjust.

I really like how Tekin has evolved from their v180 to their current software. Lots of effort gone in there, for sure!
Old 09-09-2015, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Lots and lots of reasons posted here... to avoid blinky

On topic, I have been using the Advanced Electronic Black Diamond's now for over 4 years, in TC's and 1/12, in classes ranging from 17.5 blinky (HPI Vintage, bit like VTA), 13.5 boosted and Open Mod.

A few people had kept hold of them whilst moving onto other brands in blinky, but have recently gone back to using them due to the feel.
They aren't cheap, but I don't know of anyone who has had a single failure where the ESC has gone wrong for no reason (I had a 4.5 blow which did damage an ESC)
Old 09-09-2015, 03:51 AM
Tech Champion

Because of the size of the track I race at, after a lot of consideration and testing we allow 17.5 turbo OR 13.5 blinky. Best of both worlds

It is a tough call to make, I won't say the most expensive ESC in the world is going to offer the best control because in some cases it won't, the majority of people where I race use EZ run with little or no problems, but I chose the Tekin RS Pro as I knew how good their quality was from when they first opened their doors in the 90's.

In about 8 years I've only had one Tekin brushed ESC go up in smoke after a very hard shunt and an RS Pro stop working for the same reason

The quality of the components is good and reflected in the price, you always get what you pay for.

If I ever had to replace it though, I would not discount looking at cheaper brands as I don't race as frequently as I would like to these days
Old 09-09-2015, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Although they are budget priced and pretty unfashionable as a brand generally, I've had good experience over the last 18 months in 13.5 blinky tc using a couple of speedpassion reventon S esc's.
Got them for only $50 each (new with program boxes) locally here in Australia, hoping they would do the job, and at the 2 local clubs I race at regularly (which both have a healthy and competitive 13.5 tourer scene), I've not really been outgunned for horsepower.
Easy to work with, reliable (so far), brakes seem fine, acceleration and top end all giving me no cause for complaint.

If you do well, it's nice to be able to show other racers (especially new racers) that inexpensive gear can be very competitive in 13.5 blinky. Takes a little of the perception that you have to spend, spend, spend on everything to be able to compete. I haven't even tried anything else since racing in my area went from 17.5 to 13.5 blinky tourer at the start of 2014.

Hopefully a couple of events coming up for me on fairly large tracks I haven't raced on before don't result in a "horsepower reality check" that makes me rethink the choice!

Keith M.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I've found that 13.5 blinky isn't as sensitive to what esc / motor as 21.5 is. 13.5 I found if I made a mistake I could get back amongst it after a few laps, in 21.5, one off and you're done.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YOKOMOSHO
Hopefully a couple of events coming up for me on fairly large tracks I haven't raced on before don't result in a "horsepower reality check" that makes me rethink the choice!

Keith M.
Does one of them start tomorrow?

Will be interesting if so, I know of a few guys running some pretty decent (on paper/price) motors in 13.5!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nexxus
in 21.5, one off and you're done.
There's no replacement for displacement so the saying goes

Or, the slower you go the harder it is to go faster.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

After reading this thread it says that there are different people going fast with different esc.

So bottom line as i see it is that most (big brand) blinky esc`s are more than capable, the only thing is the personal touch (feeling)
And the fastest option would still be 5min racing without mistakes
Old 09-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bappe
After reading this thread it says that there are different people going fast with different esc.

So bottom line as i see it is that most (big brand) blinky esc`s are more than capable, the only thing is the personal touch (feeling)
And the fastest option would still be 5min racing without mistakes
Yes, that plus some trial and error with the ESC and motor combination might be worthwhile too. Like this one motor I have is very abrupt on one ESC, but works smoothly on another.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
Software is just another tuning aid, you go for the best version of firmware that you feel comfortable with and adjust.

I really like how Tekin has evolved from their v180 to their current software. Lots of effort gone in there, for sure!
Only if you do not use roar guidelines. If you do, Roar normally specifys which firmware is approved. Just because a firmware update exists does not make it legal. But that is if you follow roar, if not there are updates that may have advantages.

http://www.roarracing.com/approved_non_timing_escs.php
Old 09-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IMO there is a lot to be said for customer service and support.. ORCA would always be a good choice, I don't know of any anyone else who has won races like snowbirds that will always give a 100% honest answer to many of the questions I've read on here.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

I've raced with Orca VXX, Sanwa Super Vortex Zero, Tekin RSX and Keyence/Acuvance Tachyon Aira. All blinks 17.5, always with the same motor (LRP X20). Top speed was pretty much the same between all four, what changed was power delivery. The Keyence was the smoothest and the most comfortable to drive. Unfortunately, it's also not ROAR legal... The Orca and Sanwa were also very smooth (not as much as the Keyence). I would give an edge to the Orca as it is way easier to set than the Sanwa... Unless you have a MT 4 or M 12 with the 472 receiver, but then that is not ROAR legal either. Takin was ok too, but it felt more like an on/off switch and required more radio fiddling to be comfortable to drive.

That is my experience with it and your feeling of them may be different.

Martin Paradis
Old 09-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

I'll vote the toro ts120.

Very smooth compared to my hw v2.1. Integrated switch a huge plus. The only negative is that it's quite heavy compared to plastic case esc's.

Haven't opened it up yet but just from the outside it feels extremely high quality for a $100 esc. It's quite the show stopper with the fan removed.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Heavier ESC would probably be advantageous to me, as I need to add 20-30 grams to the esc side of the car to meet min weight and balance the car with the Tekin fitted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.