Wiki Posts
Search

Looking to get in to a drifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Looking to get in to a drifter

Hey guys im looking in to getting a drifter to bash around with.
Would like something there theres a good amount of hopups brushless. kit would be good. good selection of bodys 190mm to 200mm but fits well.

looking at this style bodys
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-RC-Car-...item2ca1361a17

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10142-1-10-7...item3f5070d173
Old 09-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What's your budget?

If you're on the low budget, I'd suggest an entry-level chassis from a drift-specific high-quality company - MST and Yokomo make some really nice sub <$200 chassis. Other nice brands are Overdose, R31House/World, Wrap Up Next and so on (expensive though). Stick to Japanese companies (though, many are still made in China...but at least it's designed/engineered in Japan).

I'd skip/pass on lower quality Chinese companies like Sakura, Eagle Racing, etc.; all I read about them is binding or too loose parts, low quality build/materials, etc., etc.

Currently, I'm building a really old TRF for drift; but it's a bit of work, since it was never meant for drift. A lot of waiting for little parts from Asia, spending extra money here and there for little parts needed and a lot of research and tuning to get it drifting right (but the advantage is from doing it the hard way, I learn a lot, from the ground up).

Btw, are there any RC Drift Tracks and Clubs anywhere in the 5 boroughs?? I'd like to move back someday.

Last edited by Jah2000; 09-20-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here's some super nice cars in the $150-300 range:
MST FXX-D S
MST XXX-D S
MST MS-01D S
Yokomo Basic Drift Package
R31House GRK Global

Last edited by Jah2000; 09-19-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

the new racing d4 is a fantastic kit for the $$ and available in 4 or 2wd. any old touring car chassis will work well as a basic 50/50 drift chassis and will fit pretty much any body that tickle your fancy. if you can find a tamiya vdf chassis they are a great drift chassis and a reputable brand with a good selection of hop ups as has the 3 racing stuff. nothing wrong with eagle racing chassis either tho shipping is a little exy.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:08 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

As stated above, any touring car can drift with tires and lot of practice. I've run a Sakura D3 for 2 years with other any issues. Bought it used, just added electronics.
With the release of the D4 model, used D3 can be found for decent prices.
Read a lot of good opinions on the MST models. But have never seen one. Drifting isn't for everybody. Most that try it don't seem to stay with it.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
As stated above, any touring car can drift with tires and lot of practice. I've run a Sakura D3 for 2 years with other any issues. Bought it used, just added electronics.
With the release of the D4 model, used D3 can be found for decent prices.
Read a lot of good opinions on the MST models. But have never seen one. Drifting isn't for everybody. Most that try it don't seem to stay with it.
I wonder why...
Old 09-19-2015, 05:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
I wonder why...
"It's too slow" it's what I usually hear. Or lack of others to run with. Couple years ago a drift club did an open demo at my regular hobby store. Saw that I could do it, even with a Vaterra, and got hooked. Had almost 10 regulars from store buy vehicles. Then club didn't comeback. Interest died.
I still drift. Mostly in winter, surprised myself by being able to do it in a 10x12 room. Haven't run with another vehicle in over 2 years. But I've come to prefer running solo.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
"It's too slow" it's what I usually hear. Or lack of others to run with. Couple years ago a drift club did an open demo at my regular hobby store. Saw that I could do it, even with a Vaterra, and got hooked. Had almost 10 regulars from store buy vehicles. Then club didn't comeback. Interest died.
I still drift. Mostly in winter, surprised myself by being able to do it in a 10x12 room. Haven't run with another vehicle in over 2 years. But I've come to prefer running solo.
What I like about drifting is the bling part. Fully loaded drift cars can be expensive though. But it's nice.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

I used to think drifting was stupid. However, I set up a drifter for my kids and then started using it myself. I can say that the car control that I developed really helps my on-road carpet racing. Drifting can be done in a driveway and running a real car can be more beneficial to racing practice than VrcPro (which I also use).

Setup has two key ingredients. Hard plastic tires, locked rear diff. This TT02 does everything I want with those two mods.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Nice car.

Yes drifting is ok. Not for everyone though. It does require skill. Many aspects chassis tuning as well.

With proper equipment and the right concept (if modifying a TC car chassis) it can be loads of fun.

Eagle Racing and the Sakura D4 are good kits to start with. They're the best bang for the buck IMHO.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

I've recently got into drifting. I just got the TT02D type-s and have been really enjoying it. It's pretty adjustable and drifts well around the track. Here is my write up.

http://www.thercracer.com/2015/09/ta...build-and.html