Search

New to forums!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 03:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to forums!

Hey what's up up guys!

My name is paul,

I've allways had a passion for anything rc! Have a few cars but nothing serious. I really want to get into 1/10 scale onroad touring. Looking to start on a budget, and then if it's truly what I want to do I'll go all in. I've narrowed it down between tamiya TT-O1E, and the team accosiated TC4 "want to have a AWD platform"

What do you guys think about the two? What would be the better one, and if I plan to go deeper into the hobby wich one will take me the furthest, as far as competition level go?

Let me know what you guys think,

Thanks paul!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

TC4 without question!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Paul,

being "on a budget" and racing touring cars is not an easy thing to accomplish (although it is possible nowadays). Out of these two, I think the TC4 would the better choice for racing (e.g. more setup options), but even that platform is getting a little dated by now.
If you're open to other suggestions as well, you might also consider:
3racing Sakura XI Sport
3racing Sakura Zero S (= Hobbyking Turnigy TD10)
Spec-R S1 or S2

Unless you insist on a shaft-driven instead of belt-driven 4WD drivetrain...
Old 09-04-2015, 05:04 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'll also vote TC4. As a non racer, mine runs all different surfaces. Handles all types very good. Plus offers the adjustability needed if you decided to go racing.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:24 AM
Tech Rookie

I see, budget isn't a problem, and that's the thing I'm looking for Somthing I can start out with, and upgrade and improve the car as I go. Guess what I'm trying to say, looking for something that's a great starter car, but with potential to perform on a good competition level. Also big thing is, aftermarket parts availability is a plus..

Let me know what you guys think
Old 09-04-2015, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

The Tamita TT-01 and TT-02 chassis are nice and there are lots of after market upgrades out there, but they make for poor race sedans.

The TC4 is also a great chassis and I've raced one myself on VTA and a 21.5 Sportsman class and this chassis can be competitive. Not much in the way of upgrades though.

If budget isn't a problem, but you still don't want to go all-in, then have a look at the Yokomo BD7 ver.RS3 chassis. For under $250 USD you get an awesome club racer that can be upgraded if and when you like to the full top line race spec kit.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:51 AM
Tech Rookie

When it comes to parts availability as far as upgrades,and repairs go seem like all this stuff is coming out of HK or China.. anything out there that you can walk into like hobby town and buy parts? Or ship nation wide?

Don't mean hammer you guys with these noon questions; )
Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Inline560
When it comes to parts availability as far as upgrades,and repairs go seem like all this stuff is coming out of HK or China.. anything out there that you can walk into like hobby town and buy parts? Or ship nation wide?

Don't mean hammer you guys with these noon questions; )
Should not have any problems finding TC4 parts in the States. I find eBay to be faster then most places.
Each hobby store is gonna be different. My local HobbyTown used to carry stuff for TC4. But on road RC has shrunk in my area. They have to order everything.
Otherwise I use either Amainhobbies or TowerHobbies for online stuff.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

If you hang around in rc long enough I'm 100% sure you'll outgrow the TT01E very quickly.

I'd choose the TC4 over it any day because the TC4 has metal bearings and a better specification as standard in general.

I had great fun building the TT01E with my son so he could get his first proper taste in rc but he's only 10 now and he learnt quick

Building a better platform to start with is nice because you don't have to spend time or money later getting the better parts.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Local hobby shop support is a great concept, but the reality today seems to be that shops cannot afford to stock parts anymore and, at least locally, racers are left ordering all the time. There are exceptions of course, and in my town the Great Hobbies store stocks almost all Durango DEX410 sedan parts and that's great. The downside is that nobody runs this chassis.

I've run 3Racing, Spec-R, Tamiya, Associated, Losi, Yokomo, RCLab, Kyosho, OFNA, Serpent, Schumacher. ABC Hobby and several other 4wd sedans and I was always left to purchase parts online. OFNA was the worst followed by Kyosho for parts availability.

Online shops these days are pretty good and shipping costs fairly reasonable.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Maybe you could check out the for sale section you might be able to pick up good 2nd hand xray, yokomo AE or any other of the top brands.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

If budget isn't an issue then don't even mess around with the "budget" kits. You'll end up more frustrated and more likely to quit all together. Just get a kit that doesn't require upgrades like a yokomo, tamiya or xray.

To make your choice the easiest go to whatever track you'll be racing at and look/ask around. Get something other guys are running so you can have some setup help. Alot of times the fast guys are already drooling over the next kit to come out and you can buy their race ready and setup kit off of them. Just my .02

Edit: also the better brands hold their value pretty good so if you decide to resale you'll be good

Last edited by 2uzferunner03; 09-04-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:23 AM
Tech Rookie

What are you're guys thoughts on the xray t4 15

This setup could start, and take me far correct?
Old 09-05-2015, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

I like my TC6.2, but now you are going up significantly in price... The TC4 "CLUB RACER" can be found all over the internet, or directly from Team Associated for $150 bucks - ASSEMBLED - mount a body, tires and your electronics - and you are rolling. There are guys who still use the TC4 competitively at their local club races in classes like the USVTA "Spec" class (U.S. Vintage Trans Am) -
Old 09-05-2015, 03:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inline560
What are you're guys thoughts on the xray t4 15

This setup could start, and take me far correct?
Correct. That's a top level car (just like e.g. the Tamiya TRF419, the Yokomo BD7, and quite a few more...) - they are all capable (in the hands of a good enough driver, of course) to compete in any level of racing (including the world's). The xray also has high durability - many people even call it a "tank" (not for being slow though ). So even while learning, you should not break too many parts. But the initial investment for all these top level cars is significantly higher than what you originally had in mind. Unless you buy used...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.