R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Pit Board Idea (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/89100-pit-board-idea.html)

runnin rc10 11-01-2005 02:11 PM

Pit Board Idea

I was at work and thinking about R/C (only way to make it) and thought of a pit board that I think would be really helpful. When I am at the track I cant tell you how uneven some tables and benches can be, especially in relationship to one another. So by the end of the day Ive had 5 different ride heights, tweak is wayy off, etc. So why not make a board out of like plexi (sp) glass that is threaded in each corner. From here you can have a screw with a rubber stop on the end that you can thread up and down therefore allowing the user to adjust the height of that corner of the board. With a leveler mounted (or included) with the board, you could basically always have a perfectly flat surface to perform those ever so precise measurements. From there you could include the more standard pit board neccessities, such as the measurements of width and length on the glass. I think it would be really cool. Only question, has it already been done, would anyone buy them?

AM03GT 11-01-2005 02:15 PM

integy makes a pit board with a center balance indicator and threaded adjustable legs...

runnin rc10 11-01-2005 02:15 PM

LOL Oh well, sounded good....

Tres 11-01-2005 02:49 PM

Scott's @ MaxxSpeed has them I think....

I asked several guys when designing mine and all of them said they didn't want them...

But, I'm sure some would use them.

Jon Kerr 11-01-2005 02:55 PM

I have one from Maxspeed. It's great. The only problem with Scott's design is that the vinyl graphics are on the outside instead of the way McMoney does his sandwiched between two layers of plastic. With it on the outside, it's very easy to get it nicked or scratched and crate a bump on the surface that can give false readings. The leveling feet are awesome but it doesn't do much good if you're measuring ride height with the gauge sitting on a spot with scratched vinyl and giving a false reading.

andrewdoherty 11-01-2005 03:07 PM

For anyone considering this . . .
only use 3 adjustable feet. Its a night mare to perfectly allign four feet to a single plane. Use three positioned like this and you will be able to level the board just as well with out ANY wobble. * = adjustable foot.

| |
| |
|_____*_____|

andrewdoherty 11-01-2005 03:08 PM

WTH? It looked just fine when I previewed it! Oh well maybe you'll get the idea anyway.

Jon Kerr 11-01-2005 03:14 PM

I've never had any problem getting it level with all four corners adjustable.

andrewdoherty 11-01-2005 03:47 PM

cool John. I tried making one with four feet and could never get it just right. Must have been some other variable. I decided to use three A) Becasue three is cheaper than four and B) BEcause I could not get four to work.

Andrew

Traceyf 11-01-2005 08:43 PM

it's been done

The Integy board has 3 feet and built in level easy to adjust and 40 bucks

-Tracey :tire:

loopedeloop 11-01-2005 09:01 PM

Ditto Eagle racing, has bubble level too

Soviet 11-01-2005 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by loopedeloop
Ditto Eagle racing, has bubble level too

Eagle Racing = Integy ;)

loopedeloop 11-01-2005 09:26 PM

that would explain why my eagle racing setup station is identical to the integy one lol :blush:

BullFrog 11-02-2005 03:46 AM

They have been done for years.I've got one from the late 80's with three legs and a level (plexi glass). Then a couple years ago I had one built with four adjustable legs and level with two scales on one end. You can even get fancier by making four scales on each corner.

mcsquish 11-02-2005 04:42 AM

Heck, I just went to a local kitchen supply store that sells custom counters and got a scrap piece of Corian (sp? who knows) that they cut out for a sink. Big enough for sedans, it doesn't flex at all, and cheep ($5). If you wanted legs, it is hard enough to drill and tap. Just my .02