Search
Like Tree823Likes

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Furman
Hello all... just introducing myself to you all. Picked up a CRC R/T kit today from Larry's RC and planning on running at either Xtreme Carpet Raceway in Bay City or Hobby Stop West in Toledo.

Picked up a Spektrum Servo, Orion 1S Lipo, and Trinity Certified 1S 17.5 motor.

Now just trying to decide on a 1S ESC. I have never owned a HobbyWing product, was always a LRP guy.

Any feedback/suggestions/comparisons to the different 1S ESCs available?
I was at Hobby Stop West last weekend and there weren't any WGT-R there. I will run mine with you if we are there the same weekend. Don't know if they will just run 2, but we can ask.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Delete... I guess I shouldn't post before breakfast!

Last edited by ccm399; 01-16-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mooby64
First race with a Calandra Gen-X 10 r/t and had an issue with the front wheels chattering on high speed corners.
I am running the kit springs in the front, 1* negative camber and the side walls ARE NOT glued.

Any suggestions???? Thanks
Add some damper tube lube to the king pins. 50 to 100k as you like. This helps with the chatter. The real issue is a push in the car though. Work on getting that out by making the car a little more aggressive on turning and then dial out the steering with the radio. If you are going to run non glued tires I would recommend O degree reactive blocks in front and raise the roll center a couple of mm. Once you get it right the car will turn on a dime.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davidl
I was at Hobby Stop West last weekend and there weren't any WGT-R there. I will run mine with you if we are there the same weekend. Don't know if they will just run 2, but we can ask.
Sounds good. I used to come down with Erik all the time, but the distance always kept me back. Once I get it all together, I'll let you know!
Old 01-16-2017, 07:32 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I will be running in a local GT-R class. I don't much about this class. I noticed that some companies make 1S motors. Is it necessary to run a 1S motor for performance?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
I will be running in a local GT-R class. I don't much about this class. I noticed that some companies make 1S motors. Is it necessary to run a 1S motor for performance?
They help some. Being able to drive well helps more so if you are just starting out don't worry about that. The motor to have is the hard to get Team Scream "The One".
Old 01-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by old_dude
They help some. Being able to drive well helps more so if you are just starting out don't worry about that. The motor to have is the hard to get Team Scream "The One".
Tell me about it! LOL... I'm going to have to find a loaner or something until the TSR motors are back in stock.

Ron, when you get a second can you measure you wheelbase for me?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 01-16-2017, 12:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

So trying to decide on a body for the new ride. I like the Protoform Ford GT and Caddy bodies... kinds torn but leaning toward the GT. I also like the McAllistar Mustang but it is listed as a 190mm body so I am concerned about fitment. I can't seem to find any good pics.... Maybe my google skills need honed.

However, if someone knew where I could get one of the HPI 2000 Trans Am bodies that would be SWEET! I'd have a 1/10th scale to match my full scale!

HPI Racing 7447 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Did some searching last night and so far no go...

Chris
Old 01-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

I have had the new ford gt body on my wgrt car, and can tell you from my experience it is really heavy, I even used alum screws in place of the steel ones it comes with. I now run the Z 28 proto form body and I had to add 45 grams of weight to the car to get legal.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the feedback Roadkill. So what if any handling differences did you notice between the two?
Old 01-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ccm399

However, if someone knew where I could get one of the HPI 2000 Trans Am bodies that would be SWEET! I'd have a 1/10th scale to match my full scale!

HPI Racing 7447 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Did some searching last night and so far no go...

Chris
So it seems I should have STARTED my search with eBay... Who would have thought Google wouldn't find that listing so easily? I might just have to pull the trigger on it...
Old 01-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Does gluing the inside and outside of these front tires add traction or take away?
I am fighting a push in mine
Old 01-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by predu
Does gluing the inside and outside of these front tires add traction or take away?
Takes away is the way I understand it.

Please understand I am no expert but I was at The Gate Saturday and they were discussing this topic. So I do have first hand knowledge of the pros and cons.

The general idea was/is no glue and make the car less aggressive. Corner speed and lap times should/will improve.

If you have a push with no glue I'll have to let the other guys help with that (for now!). I can tell you they are going to need your setup to help though. Springs (F&R) Droop (Frt & Pod) Kingpin length. Caster, Camber, Toe. Ride Height. Damper tune/ Kingpin lube ETC.

Chris

Last edited by ccm399; 01-16-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Chris, at the front of this thread there is a body list. Be sure to check on any body you might consider. I have never seen someone run the TA. At the champs there were a ton of PF Fort GT's. I have tried it but didn't care for it. Heavy and high downforce. It would be my choice on gray carpet though.
On tire gluing. If your track is low to medium grip you won't need it but you do need something on the sidewalls to slide off the boards. I am working on set up with no glue on a medium to medium high bite track (black carpet). I liked it last Saturday but my laps times were not any faster up front. The big difference was the end of the run. On glued tires the car picks up push late in the run. With the non glued tires that didn't happen. It took several adjustments to get the car to not traction roll but once there it was great.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by predu
Glue reduces steering in most cases. To help with your push I would need to know about your setup. There are many ways to correct it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.