R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree49Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2015, 09:54 PM   #421
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,563
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Old Checker

No actual timing numbers as this is the old checker, but I was able to find the sweet spot. Going up to the next timing mark decreased RPM by 2k.



liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #422
Tech Fanatic
 
TOM MAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 992
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Got to try out the Wgt R car with the CRC tires Sat. They worked great on the carpet. I think it will be a very fun class. Looking forward to the pre-mounts. Mine were basically egg-shaped. lol

Tom
TOM MAR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:04 AM   #423
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 755
Default

I have seen so many people mess up the mounting of these and the TCS F1 tires. My secret is to use a slow set CA (Gorilla Glue CA works well) for the out side (flanged part of the tire). That gives you a little time to get it located right. I also mount that side without the insert in the tire. It isn't easy to put them in but you eliminate the chance of getting glue on the insert. The back side I just use normal tire glue.
Another hint, have a 104t/64p gear handy for the front side. After getting the tire glued and positioned on the rim, use the gear to apply pressure around the face of the tire until the glue sets.
__________________
www.norcarracing.com
NORCAR @ The Gate
old_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #424
Tech Elite
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,183
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I like the gear idea.
__________________
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #425
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,563
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I slide the tire on the rim up to the bead just touching the rim. Then I run a bead of slow set CA on the bead of the tire, not the flap. I use just enough glue to cover the bead and not slop it into the tire and not enough for the second phase of the process to make glue shoot out the flap. Second phase is to flip the rim and tire over face down. Push down and twist the rim while pushing it into the tire. The excess glue comes down off the bead and into the flap. Make sure the rim is set completely into the tire. The flap may raise up as the glue is not setting fast enough, but a little pressure and weight will lock it down. Give them a spin and let them dry face up. You can wait until the slow set is dry and then use fast set to tack the flap down. I use slow set on the back too so the tire can settle back to its most natural position. I give them a gentle spin on an axle shaft to make sure they are centered and balanced before the glue sets for the front and the back. Key is to not use too little glue. I let them sit overnight.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #426
Tech Fanatic
 
TOM MAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 992
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
I have seen so many people mess up the mounting of these and the TCS F1 tires. My secret is to use a slow set CA (Gorilla Glue CA works well) for the out side (flanged part of the tire). That gives you a little time to get it located right. I also mount that side without the insert in the tire. It isn't easy to put them in but you eliminate the chance of getting glue on the insert. The back side I just use normal tire glue.
Another hint, have a 104t/64p gear handy for the front side. After getting the tire glued and positioned on the rim, use the gear to apply pressure around the face of the tire until the glue sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
I like the gear idea.
Thanks old dude
Yes, I will try it. After I bake the tires off, I will remount them.
TOM MAR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #427
Tech Fanatic
 
TOM MAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 992
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I slide the tire on the rim up to the bead just touching the rim. Then I run a bead of slow set CA on the bead of the tire, not the flap. I use just enough glue to cover the bead and not slop it into the tire and not enough for the second phase of the process to make glue shoot out the flap. Second phase is to flip the rim and tire over face down. Push down and twist the rim while pushing it into the tire. The excess glue comes down off the bead and into the flap. Make sure the rim is set completely into the tire. The flap may raise up as the glue is not setting fast enough, but a little pressure and weight will lock it down. Give them a spin and let them dry face up. You can wait until the slow set is dry and then use fast set to tack the flap down. I use slow set on the back too so the tire can settle back to its most natural position. I give them a gentle spin on an axle shaft to make sure they are centered and balanced before the glue sets for the front and the back. Key is to not use too little glue. I let them sit overnight.
Thank You
Attached Images
 
TOM MAR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:10 AM   #428
Tech Master
 
idbdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Above FltLevel300
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Any problems setting ride heights with a crc wgt-se when you run the rubber tire's? Especially getting a low ride height
Thanks
idbdoug
__________________
www.serpentamerica.com
www.r1wurks.com
www.falconsekido.com
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #429
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: CRC Raceway
Posts: 1,013
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

You will need to add shims under the pod plates to get down to 5mm if using the stock pod plates. 1 package of #3219 shims will do it, you will also need 5/16" long screws.
__________________
www.teamcrc.com, www.teamscreamracing.com, Outlaw RC Motorsports, KO Propo USA, www.crcraceway.com, Dumper's Speedshop, FB/FX Paint. 38.4mm>38mm, 9 degrees does not = Zero end of story. Vice-President of the F1 Pink Flame Posse
dumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #430
Tech Master
 
idbdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Above FltLevel300
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumper View Post
You will need to add shims under the pod plates to get down to 5mm if using the stock pod plates. 1 package of #3219 shims will do it, you will also need 5/16" long screws.
Wasn't quite sure on SE
Thanks
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #431
Tech Master
 
idbdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Above FltLevel300
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Considering new speed merchant wgt-r and CRC-SE. Will the specialized speed merchant chassis have an advantage with the rubber tires??
Thanks
idbdoug
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #432
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 249
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbdoug View Post
Considering new speed merchant wgt-r and CRC-SE. Will the specialized speed merchant chassis have an advantage with the rubber tires??
Thanks
idbdoug
Both cars are very good. The CRC SE is very capable. Dominated qualifying and the A-main at Cleveland. T.Q. and win.
Team CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #433
Tech Adept
 
Gravity Dodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 246
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team CRC View Post
Both cars are very good. The CRC SE is very capable. Dominated qualifying and the A-main at Cleveland. T.Q. and win.
Same results in Minneapolis at the MMR Challenge I believe too
__________________
Team Destiny, Power by TSR
Gravity Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #434
Tech Master
 
idbdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Above FltLevel300
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team CRC View Post
Both cars are very good. The CRC SE is very capable. Dominated qualifying and the A-main at Cleveland. T.Q. and win.
Thanks
idbdoug
__________________
www.serpentamerica.com
www.r1wurks.com
www.falconsekido.com
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #435
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,563
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbdoug View Post
Thanks
idbdoug
It's all in the setup. We had a run of Ebay VBC Lightning 10s we picked up for very cheap, 6 of them now, and an old 10R5 show up. The VBC is very similar to the Associated. There are also 2 of us with CRCs and 1 GT-4R and all are dialed. It really is shaking out to be a skills class. We had a 12 minute main with 8 drivers Sunday. It's a long time to concentrate and very hard to dominate when all the cars are within .1 or .2 seconds a lap back and forth. With that in mind, you should invest in a good 1S motor and a battery that can hold it's own. I'm not saying expensive on the battery side as Hobbyking Ultimates will do the job. I'm still shaking down the V2 Trackstars, but not having much luck... yet. Time for bigger pinions!
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:52 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net