Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT-R Rules and Discussion >

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Like Tree823Likes

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Old 09-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ghartman581
Has anyone discussed ride height adjustments to pan car kits when adjusting to the crc rt1 tire / gtr wheel combo? i measured and compare the rt1/gtr combo at 62mm compared to spec foam (bsr?) tires that are normally (?) trimmed down to around 52mm. I guess my question is are those who are already running the new crc rt1/gtr combo setting up at a higher clearance due to adjustment issues?
I run a xray x10 2015, current adjusted to using 2.5 rear pod inserts and using tons of shims on the front end. My front end is sitting at 6.5mm and the rear is sitting at 7mm loaded up with full electrics and gear. To my knowledge there are no more adjustment options on the rear end and im searching for 16mm long hex screws so to be able to add more shims if necessary under the graphite arm mount plate.
I would post this question and dialogue on the xray forum page but ill be retired and out of the hobby before they ever come around to reply to their own forum.
Sorry, I don't know anything about the X-Ray car specifically. Hopefully somebody chimes in here and lends a hand.

On the CRC cars, there are 2 options for the rear pod. (front end is simply adding washers between the front plate and chassis)

1) add a couple washers under the pod plates. Although this does slightly raise the motor, it works well and is what most of the guys here at our shop have done.

2) Use F-1 pod plates. They are already made for the larger rubber tires. P/N's 3440 (motor side) and 3442 (left side) now have an additional hole that will allow them to bolt up to all slider pod style bottom plates. (the bearing carrier / slider pieces are the same for both styles of pod plate). Keep in mind that this will lengthen the wheelbase some. This method should only be used if you are planning to mount a new body. If you have already mounted your GT-R body, then this will cause the rear wheels to not line up with the wheel wells anymore.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by celt
These tires, by themselves, might really give a much needed injection of hope for on-road in the States.

Around the Midwest, it just doesn't have the following it used to.

However;

1. Simple, economical pan car chassis. (give a new driver a 4WD sedan)
2. Affordable electronics.
3. Insane selection of bodies. (wedges? c'mon, we can do better than that)
4. Rubber tires? No truing, no constant ride height adjustment?

What box isn't checked?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Too bad the F1 cars aren't permitted under the rules. With a simple body mount kit, you can put the GT-R bodies on an F103 or F104 F1 car. Lots of those sitting in closets and on Ebay these days.

The CRC tires are identical to the tires being used in F1 right now (TCS or Pit Shimizu 571/572).

It'd also be nice to have a 2S/21.5 or 2S/25.5 option for GT-R, since that's what current F1 cars are using. Maybe at a higher minimum weight? That way guys with F1 cars could convert to GT-R very cheaply. It'd be a way to grow the class easily and quickly. F1 in the UK has 1S/13.5 running alongside 2S/21.5 setups.

Mark
Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by scirocco14
Too bad the F1 cars aren't permitted under the rules. With a simple body mount kit, you can put the GT-R bodies on an F103 or F104 F1 car. Lots of those sitting in closets and on Ebay these days.

The CRC tires are identical to the tires being used in F1 right now (TCS or Pit Shimizu 571/572).

It'd also be nice to have a 2S/21.5 or 2S/25.5 option for GT-R, since that's what current F1 cars are using. Maybe at a higher minimum weight? That way guys with F1 cars could convert to GT-R very cheaply. It'd be a way to grow the class easily and quickly. F1 in the UK has 1S/13.5 running alongside 2S/21.5 setups.

Mark
you can also pull these old cars out and run F-1. I can't pull my old Losi XX Buggy out and race stadium truck with it. I'm not sure I understand the problem. Also, if you want to run 2s, then you can race F-1. I don't get the problem.

We're not trying to make all the F-1 guys convert. We're not trying to kill F-1. We're trying to bring back guys that have moved away from foam tire racing.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Steering Linkage

How are you handling the front steering linkage etc. ?
Old 09-30-2015, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnywhopper
you can also pull these old cars out and run F-1. I can't pull my old Losi XX Buggy out and race stadium truck with it. I'm not sure I understand the problem. Also, if you want to run 2s, then you can race F-1. I don't get the problem.

We're not trying to make all the F-1 guys convert. We're not trying to kill F-1. We're trying to bring back guys that have moved away from foam tire racing.
I already run F1. I thought it might be fun to run GT-R too because I like how the cars look on the big rubber tires. I already have 2S equipment and spare F1 chassis. Not interested in spending $$$ on 1S setups.

My point was that here's an easy way to grow the GT-R fields, but it isn't permitted right now because the rules REQUIRE the CRC wheels which do not fit F1 chassis, and require 1S setups.

Not to mention I see 2S 21.5 and 25.5 setups all day long for sale on RC Tech, Ebay, etc from people selling older touring cars (TC4, TC5, etc) that would make for an inexpensive supply of systems for this class in an F1 chassis (or 1/10 pan car chassis).

I don't see the advantage of 1S setups, which are inherently more expensive, nor limiting it to 1S. But I've said my piece.

Carry on....

Mark
Old 09-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dds6695
How are you handling the front steering linkage etc. ?
Hi Dave, what are you running into trouble with? Our cars have been using the same tie-rods and ball cups with no clearance problems.

edit - do you have a pic? just trying to help come up with a solution but I can't figure out where the problem is.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

+1 Mark
Old 09-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ghartman581
Has anyone discussed ride height adjustments to pan car kits when adjusting to the crc rt1 tire / gtr wheel combo? i measured and compare the rt1/gtr combo at 62mm compared to spec foam (bsr?) tires that are normally (?) trimmed down to around 52mm. I guess my question is are those who are already running the new crc rt1/gtr combo setting up at a higher clearance due to adjustment issues?
I run a xray x10 2015, current adjusted to using 2.5 rear pod inserts and using tons of shims on the front end. My front end is sitting at 6.5mm and the rear is sitting at 7mm loaded up with full electrics and gear. To my knowledge there are no more adjustment options on the rear end and im searching for 16mm long hex screws so to be able to add more shims if necessary under the graphite arm mount plate.
I would post this question and dialogue on the xray forum page but ill be retired and out of the hobby before they ever come around to reply to their own forum.
On the X10 other than shimming the motor side and left side plate up in the pod, you are SOL. 55mm is the tallest rear tire I can run w/5mm ride height
Old 09-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by johnnywhopper
Hi Dave, what are you running into trouble with? Our cars have been using the same tie-rods and ball cups with no clearance problems.

edit - do you have a pic? just trying to help come up with a solution but I can't figure out where the problem is.
As I run a BMI Copperhead chassis the Servo stays in a fixed position therefore the steering rods elevate into a "v" position from a horizontal position when installing the rubber tires. I don't have a clearance problem. Just curious how the change in geometry will affect the steering. I guess the solution would be to shim up the servo to eliminate the "v".

Last edited by dds6695; 09-30-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added comment.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

As I run a BMI Copperhead chassis the Servo stays in a fixed position therefore the steering rods elevate into a "v" position from a horizontal position when installing the rubber tires. I don't have a clearance problem. Just curious how the change in geometry will affect the steering.
ah hah. I see what you mean now. this change in tie-rod angle relative to the upper arms will affect your bump-steer.

On my car, I typically run the servo up on angled servo mounts with the saver pointing down. so when I raised the front end, I actually laid the servo down flat and pointed the saver up. this got me close, then I added a couple of thin shims under the ball studs on the steering blocks to raise the outside of the tie-rods a little more and the angle was back to perfect again.

the other option would be to raise your servo mounts equal to the amount that you raised the front end for ride height, but this obviously will raise cg as you have now jacked your servo way up in the air (and in my case was already up on mounts anyway, so it would have been REALLY high).
Old 09-30-2015, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

As I run a BMI Copperhead chassis the Servo stays in a fixed position therefore the steering rods elevate into a "v" position from a horizontal position when installing the rubber tires. I don't have a clearance problem. Just curious how the change in geometry will affect the steering. I guess the solution would be to shim up the servo to eliminate the "v".
Is it possible to mount the links on the lower side of the steering knuckle to keep them straiter? Or maybe shim the balls down a bit?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So, Ive been out of racing all summer and looking at this thread I cant help but think that Tamiya tried this with the F103GT (which I have). Its funny that car never really took off and now fits in NO category. I loved the Courage body and it looked great in Gulf Oil colors.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Default Steering Geometry

BMI servo mounts allow for several options when mounting the servo. I was using what I will call the lay down position with the servo flat on the chassis. You can also turn the servo mounts to a stand up position which I changed to. This allowed me to mount the servo up off the chassis about 1/8". This works well and all is good.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Looks great!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.