R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #1081
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,168
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunStuff View Post
Does anybody have any suggestions for a 1s esc that has decent brakes or a 2s esc when used as 1s? I have a booster.

Richard
Richard,

Because WGT-R is a "momentum class", I don't find much need for good brakes. Braking a rwd car unsettles it; so, try the Tekin with the booster first. That was my original ESC for 1S racing.

Bill
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #1082
Tech Elite
 
celt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 2,337
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default GT-R racing

It defies any logic why this class isn't one of the most popular on-road classes.

It is the rule, not the exception, that 2 seconds covers the entire field in qualifying. The races are decided by less than a second or even the last corner.

And we run 12 minute mains and 8 minutes quals...
chensleyrc1 and liljohn1064 like this.
__________________
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #1083
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,258
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

I personally don't run the class, but have seen it become our new class for new racers to on road. The cars are extremely durable with the full bodies, tires last forever, the electronics needed are used in other classes, so nothing "extra" to buy. Oh yeah, and the racing is real close.
I think we found our on-road version of the slash!
liljohn1064 likes this.
__________________
Chris Lockhart

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:46 AM   #1084
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,495
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
It defies any logic why this class isn't one of the most popular on-road classes.

It is the rule, not the exception, that 2 seconds covers the entire field in qualifying. The races are decided by less than a second or even the last corner.

And we run 12 minute mains and 8 minutes quals...
Lap average for the Tuesday 12 minute main was within .5 seconds for the entire field. Too bad I was just a tad busy at the moment to watch the battle for the top 3 spots. The race was literally won or lost in the last 2 corners. Sadly I was on the other side of the track watching the 4th place car finish it's lap. I did manage an unmarshalled race.

It was racing. Real bona fide, bumper to bumper, best man wins racing. If you can't pass, you can't win. Sadly the recording system missed the race as the camera shut off!
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #1085
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,168
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Wink

Sounds like I should move to Wisconsin...
celt and liljohn1064 like this.
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #1086
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
The Tekin RS is only available as a 2S battery ESC. So, for a 1S battery, you would need to use a battery booster to get it to work.

The Hobbywing V3.1 comes in two versions for either 1S or 2S. Like the Tekin, the 2S version would require a battery booster for 1S use.

Savox 1521MG is a "low profile" servo; whereas, you probably want a "mini" servo for you WGT-R/T car.

Bill
Bill,

I appreciate your response.. So what I've acquired so far. Xray X10 16, and I got a helluva deal on an RSX and 13.5 Gen 3 motor. Could you mention a booster for this setup, if it's necessary? As I said this is my first dabble into WGT-R, but it looks to be fun.
dzydvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #1087
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,495
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Sounds like I should move to Wisconsin...
https://youtu.be/Q_ynppUSquQ
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


From a day when the camera was working and I did not make it out... The race Tuesday was much closer.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #1088
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,168
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzydvl View Post
Bill,

I appreciate your response.. So what I've acquired so far. Xray X10 16, and I got a helluva deal on an RSX and 13.5 Gen 3 motor. Could you mention a booster for this setup, if it's necessary? As I said this is my first dabble into WGT-R, but it looks to be fun.
The Tekin RSX ESC is designed for 2S/3S modified racing; so, you do need a booster to use it for a 1S application.

When I ran with a booster few years back, it came from the UK. Just sold it a guy doing the same as you a couple weeks ago. Too bad. Someone else can probably recommend one that is available in the US. Or, you may find one used.

Unless your local club has a different motor rule for WGT-R (some do), the class usually uses a 17.5 turn motor.

We want to see more racers in the class...even if you are going Xray...LOL

Welcome!

Bill
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #1089
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,495
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzydvl View Post
Bill,

I appreciate your response.. So what I've acquired so far. Xray X10 16, and I got a helluva deal on an RSX and 13.5 Gen 3 motor. Could you mention a booster for this setup, if it's necessary? As I said this is my first dabble into WGT-R, but it looks to be fun.
Hobbywing makes a nice booster that works with all of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Tekins that run 1S firmware. It goes for right around $23 US, but is available globally.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...iant=577781305
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #1090
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,168
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Hobbywing makes a nice booster that works with all of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Tekins that run 1S firmware. It goes for right around $23 US, but is available globally.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...iant=577781305
Duh on my part...I knew that...LOL
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #1091
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,168
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
https://youtu.be/Q_ynppUSquQ
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


From a day when the camera was working and I did not make it out... The race Tuesday was much closer.
I see that my new buddy, Stan Garvin, was present; and, he had a heck of a good time racing in that 12 minute qualifier.

Bill
liljohn1064 likes this.
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #1092
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,605
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave
Default

You guys should bring your GT-R cars up to Northern WI for some more intense racing! If you show up I'll even run with you guys next year.
__________________
Kevin Van Ert | RC^2 | CRC Racing | Team Scream Racing | Dumpers Speed Shop | Genesis RC | Race Rewards | Lake Superior RC Car Club | www.lsrcc.com
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #1093
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,495
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
I see that my new buddy, Stan Garvin, was present; and, he had a heck of a good time racing in that 12 minute qualifier.

Bill
Load up the RV Bill! I'm not bragging on celt or the other guys I race with, but if we took our club out to play we might turn some heads. We really don't know how good we stack up. At least the top 4 or 5 guys are above average. Stan doesn't make mistakes, v_squared is always there at end if not winning and Columbo is just plain fast. Jeff has just returned from a long break from the hobby and is on the verge of winning again with my old SE. Chris is learning and tries hard and only a couple laps down. I'm the one perpetually one lap off the pace, but getting up there slowly and learning every pack I run.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #1094
Tech Elite
 
celt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 2,337
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Load up the RV Bill! I'm not bragging on celt or the other guys I race with, but if we took our club out to play we might turn some heads. We really don't know how good we stack up. At least the top 4 or 5 guys are above average. Stan doesn't make mistakes, v_squared is always there at end if not winning and Columbo is just plain fast. Jeff has just returned from a long break from the hobby and is on the verge of winning again with my old SE. Chris is learning and tries hard and only a couple laps down. I'm the one perpetually one lap off the pace, but getting up there slowly and learning every pack I run.
I held those punks off for 54 laps before I was hammered in the last corner!
liljohn1064 likes this.
__________________
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #1095
Tech Elite
 
celt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 2,337
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave View Post
You guys should bring your GT-R cars up to Northern WI for some more intense racing! If you show up I'll even run with you guys next year.
Kave,

Jones'in to race with you...what track?
__________________
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:37 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net